Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Giggling Marlin no mas
stillnbaja
Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 11:14 AM
Giggling Marlin no mas

one of the first bars in CSL burned to the ground yesterday....

https://gringogazette.com/2024/06/15/oldest-iconic-cabo-san-...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 01:36 PM

I think i went there once in 1996. I recall it promoted drinking shots while suspended upside down. Never really been in to that type of bar scene… but drinking games until black out drunk seems like one of the popular things to do in cabo, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 02:45 PM

Oh boohoo! that joint
was the beginning of the end.

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
one of the first bars in CSL burned to the ground yesterday....

https://gringogazette.com/2024/06/15/oldest-iconic-cabo-san-...

I walked through the Giggling Marlin once, years ago. It was not my scene and I had no interest. Ironically, I walked past Giggling Marlin 3 weeks ago, showing a friend of mine around downtown San Lucas, not my idea of "fun".

I guess the Giggling Marlin will be replaced by some other tawdry bar for the cruise ship crowd to visit.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

"...a beloved hangout for both locals and visitors for decades."

Locals? :rolleyes:

Oye, Lencho, ?como lo va?

Truth be told, I did observe some marginal expats who might call themselves "locals" or maybe it was "locos" from time to time, in there. Looked like the type who were banned from BN, trying to pick up on some "visitors." :yes:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 09:32 PM

I feel zero sense of loss
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2024 at 11:19 PM

Was a fun place to blow off some steam.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Yeah, I guess so, (I don't know) if you're the type of "local" who easily gets "steamed up."

I feel no sense of loss either, along with Squid Roe.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

Yeah, I guess so, (I don't know) if you're the type of "local" who easily gets "steamed up."

I feel no sense of loss either, along with Squid Roe.

Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe are fun stops too. Baja has something for everyone and even though Cabo is one of my least favorite places in Baja, it is an economic driver for the people and provides a lot of jobs.

Maybe they will rebuild and call it the Cabo Steam Factory!
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 06:45 AM

Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe are fun stops too. Baja has something for everyone

"Baja has something for some "locals and visitors"

There, fixed it for you that is more accurate.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 07:28 AM

I am not a fan of tourist bars, north or south of the border. I am not deaf (yet) but have had enough ear damage over the years that I cannot have a conversation in a noisy, rowdy situation.

Going to someplace when there is no one else there would also be kind of pointless, other than checking off a famous place on my bucket list!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am not deaf (yet) but have had enough ear damage over the years that I cannot have a conversation in a noisy, rowdy situation.

Hearing loss doesn't affect all ranges of sound. I experience the same thing- can't follow conversations when there is loud, constant ambient noise. But that was an issue for me from back in my 40's. I got my hearing tested and I had some hearing loss in the conversational range, not in other ranges. I was told it wasn't bad enough to warrant hearing aids and it hasn't gotten any worse. But I easily am woken up by things like dog barking, roosters, etc. because that's a different sound range.

I also usually can't hear what someone is saying if they are talking to me from a different room or facing away from me and speak quietly. I can hear that they are talking, but can't clearly hear the words.
stillnbaja
Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 11:27 AM

anyone remember the "other" Giggling Marlin? out at Bahia de Los muertos? restaurant/bar/golf club/pro shop.....didn't last long, has some other name now, if its even open?
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
But I easily am woken up by things like dog barking, roosters, etc. because that's a different sound range.

I can't speak to your specific hearing issues. However, I do know that we generally experience 4 different sleep stages during a typical night:

- in bed but awake, yes, you are "awake" when you get up during the night to use the bathroom, typically about 10% of your "sleep" hours
- REM sleep, dream state of semi-consciousness, typically about 20% of your sleep hours.
- Light sleep, easily awakened by dog barking, roosters, owls hooting, coyotes howling, frogs croaking, etc., typically about 50% of your sleep hours
- Deep sleep, "dead to the world", typically about 20% of your sleep hours.

ALL 4 stages are necessary to get a good night's sleep and the typical person will go through these stages for various lengths of time and interchangeably with the others, e.g. you may wake up from REM sleep to go to the bathroom and then go back to bed and fall immediately into deep sleep and then go back to REM sleep and then back to light sleep and then back to deep, etc. What triggers these various states of sleep is unknown at this time but research is ongoing.

To put this into language @MtGoat666 can understand, this un-Woken Nerd wears a flocking Fitbit Versa smart watch on my wrist 24/7. It automatically measures my flocking sleep states and gives a nightly report on my flocking phone app when I get up in the morning. Last night I experienced:
- Awake = 9%
- REM = 30%
- Light sleep = 53%
- Deep sleep = 8%
It was a total chit show because this Nerd spent too much of my time in dream state counting flocking goats jump over the fence and awakened by the flocking male frogs, in the pond in my backyard, crowing to attract flocking females! Yeah, what a total flocking chit show! Comprende amigo? :lol:
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 12:27 PM

anyone remember the "other" Giggling Marlin? out at Bahia de Los muertos? restaurant/bar/golf club/pro shop.....didn't last long, has some other name now, if its even open?

Bahia de los Muertos = Bay of Dreams??? My Spanish is going to hell in a hand basket! Que triste :no:
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 6-17-2024 at 03:30 PM

I was there a year ago around this time and it was open, still a good spot to grab a beer and lunch.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.