Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ECR - Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2024 at 12:24 PM
ECR - Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio

https://filebin.net/8syujfajfh9vxcxi

This link is to an eight page topo map PDF of the El Camino Real section Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio. The trail is marked as a green line. This link remains active for the next six days.

If anyone downloads the PDF for a look, and then has any suggestions or corrections as to my trail positioning, please pass them along on this thread. Thanks.

A list of water sources on this route would be much appreciated.

[Edited on 10-8-2024 by cupcake]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-8-2024 at 07:03 PM

get me your email and I'll send you the reliable water sources

Harald Pietschmann
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2024 at 07:52 PM

Just got home, and I am downloading your file now.

4x4abc has tons of waypoints, so you should get some good info there.

And of course Kevin and Genevieve have many waypoints for the trail itself.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2024 at 08:04 PM

As far as cold weather goes, it can get cold in the desert but generally you should be fine unless up high and a cold front moves through.

Even the day are pleasant. You want mild days because there is not much in the way of shade.

Santa Gertrudis is off the beaten path, not sure what kind of transportation there is to get there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
https://filebin.net/8syujfajfh9vxcxi

This link is to an eight page topo map PDF of the El Camino Real section Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio. The trail is marked as a green line. This link remains active for the next six days.

If anyone downloads the PDF for a look, and then has any suggestions or corrections as to my trail positioning, please pass them along on this thread. Thanks.

A list of water sources on this route would be much appreciated.

[Edited on 10-8-2024 by cupcake]

Very nice job with the trail on the maps!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 09:23 AM

In the book, The Mission Walker, Edie talks about being required to have a guide through sections of that walk due to Cave Paintings. You will need to look into that.

in Crosby's book it seemed pretty straight forward as far as the ECR goes.
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
get me your email and I'll send you the reliable water sources

Harald, I tried to send you my email address via a U2U. When I clicked 'send' it informed me that there was an error because I had been sending too many emails. However, this is the first U2U I have ever sent. When I look at my U2U screen, it tells me that my U2U to you has been sent, so maybe you will receive it. If you don't receive it, can you send me a U2U with your email address, and then I will email you so you have my address?
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 11:17 AM

I need to say that I have no type of tablet, phone, or device, so I'm not sure the waypoints will be helpful for me, What I need is place names that I can mark on my maps, i.e. Santa Martha, Las Juntas, etc.

[Edited on 10-9-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  

Santa Gertrudis is off the beaten path, not sure what kind of transportation there is to get there.

I went with Angel to Santa Gertrudis earlier this year in his truck. He lives both at San Borja and Nuevo Rosarito and we have communicated via email, though I haven't contacted him yet about dropping me at Santa Gertrudis, as I am not sure when I will be ready to go. Having been there previously, I know how far Santa Gertrudis is from Highway 1...too far to be a good walking bail-out point on the ECR.

cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Good to know, David. I am not a 'purist' in regards to needing to be exactly on the actual old ECR. I would like to be close, and I would certainly like to see parts of the old trail, like cuestas, which would be thrilling. But, if the actual ECR was overgrown, spiny, and difficult at a certain point, and I could move 100 yards and have a much easier and faster time, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 11:40 AM

In the book, The Mission Walker, Edie talks about being required to have a guide through sections of that walk due to Cave Paintings. You will need to look into that.

in Crosby's book it seemed pretty straight forward as far as the ECR goes.

John, I thought this might be the case, with the proximity of Santa Marta to 'painted caves'. I am flexible with this, and I figured Angel could advise me on what I will need to do. I am 65 years old and literally about half the hiking man I used to be (my best times on certain routes are now almost twice what they used to be). If I push myself these days the result is not increased fitness, but rather a pulled calf muscle. A guide, mule, burrow might help me avoid hurting myself.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2024 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Good to know, David. I am not a 'purist' in regards to needing to be exactly on the actual old ECR. I would like to be close, and I would certainly like to see parts of the old trail, like cuestas, which would be thrilling. But, if the actual ECR was overgrown, spiny, and difficult at a certain point, and I could move 100 yards and have a much easier and faster time, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

I think if you have the Benchmark Baja Atlas downloaded on your phone, it has the ECR as hiked by Kevin and Genevieve, but the scales is not so great that the line could be 100 yards off the trail on the ground. You will be close and you won't get too far from it since your location is pinpointed on the map as you travel in Baja. Do see their work and waypoints on the Google Earth download at www.caminorealbaja.com for sure. Use it for Loreto to El Rosario. El Rosario north to the border is overlaid by Hwy. 1, or under new construction or simply vanished by wet weather for 250+ years.

The obvious Jesuit constructed road ends at San Borja (founded in 1762) with just a couple of exceptions north of there. The Jesuits were removed just 7 months after their final mission at Santa María was established (May 26, 1767). So, there was no time to build the road to their standards. The Franciscans and Dominicans were no road building engineers and their ECR is no different than a cattle trail. An exception was the Canyon Santa María bypass ECR and the cargo or 'Antelope Spring' trail to Gonzaga Bay, that Junípero Serra ordered made after he arrived there in 1769.

Another resource, is Baja Nomad 'Baja Bucko' (Teddi) who has traveled most of it multiple times, by mule. Edie (The Mission Walker) is a wonderful and friendly lady and will chat with you (email) but she was at the mercy of local guides and some of the time, her route was not on or near the true trail, but parallel to it... Loreto to the U.S. Border.

Keep up the ECR excitement!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2024 at 10:26 AM

https://filebin.net/h0vvpe7mkd4scn6e

The above link is to my 7mb PDF topo map file, on Filebin, of the ECR Santa Gertrudis to San Ignacio section. The same maps that I started this thread with, but now I have marked water points and GPS coordinates.

If you download the PDF, please feel free to critique and make suggestions. The file remains available for six days.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2024 at 11:04 AM

Very nice! :light:

Here is part of one, north of Santa Martha, northeast of San Ignacio:

[Edited on 10-18-2024 by David K]

cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2024 at 05:18 PM

Thanks David. The Caltopo website you directed me to, is great in that GPS coordinates are displayed for any location that the computer mouse cursor is moved to. The free maps I downloaded are at 200 DPI. Apparently, if one pays an annual fee of $50, it is possible to get 400 DPI resolution downloads.

I bought a Garmin ETREX 22X GPS device. I can foresee me possibly having problems in using my map GPS marks to verify that I am still on route. I am a newbie to GPS use; hopefully I will learn enough to make my GPS device, in conjunction with my marked topo maps, a good navigation system. I want to use the GPS at its most basic; I believe some people call it 'breadcrumbs'. I will have a compass as well, so hopefully can keep from getting lost. I may be required to hire a guide anyway, but it will be good to see how my use of the GPS turns out, in any event.

[Edited on 10-19-2024 by cupcake]
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2024 at 12:36 PM

4x4abc has tons of waypoints, so you should get some good info there.

Harald has been a wonderful source of information for water sources on the route. He has been very generous in sharing his data, advising on which water sources may now be dry and which ones are likely still reliable. Thanks Harald!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2024 at 01:23 PM

Cupcake
Using a Garmin etrex 22x:
you can import a GPX file to a Garmin eTrex 22x by transferring the file to the device's GPX folder
How to get a gpx file
1) Have some one send you the file
2) Make your own file
a) Go to Google Earth and use “add a path” and make the track
b) The save the file as a kml file
c) Go to the web and convert it to a gpx file
d) follow instructions on the first line above.
Many trails and roads are clearly visible on Google Earth for you to make a path from.
Once you make the path it will contain all the track points on your gps you want.
cupcake
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2024 at 02:51 PM

Thanks PaulW.
I just downloaded the Garmin 22X Owner's Manual, and I will be reading through it as I familiarize myself with the device.

The critical thing for me, was to be able to take a GPS reading of locations along the way, and this seems easy enough to do. I was pleasantly surprised to see that each GPS location reading, or waypoint, that my device takes, also has an elevation in feet. I wasn't expecting that, as I was told that this model has no altimeter. Maybe the device calculates elevation in a different manner? In any even, the elevations it has given thus far have been accurate.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2024 at 05:43 PM

Thanks PaulW.
I just downloaded the Garmin 22X Owner's Manual, and I will be reading through it as I familiarize myself with the device.

The critical thing for me, was to be able to take a GPS reading of locations along the way, and this seems easy enough to do. I was pleasantly surprised to see that each GPS location reading, or waypoint, that my device takes, also has an elevation in feet. I wasn't expecting that, as I was told that this model has no altimeter. Maybe the device calculates elevation in a different manner? In any even, the elevations it has given thus far have been accurate.

Yes, it uses the distance to the satellites and the distance from them to sea level to calculate your elevation. It is pretty accurate and no need for barametic pressure adjustment.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-19-2024 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Cupcake
Using a Garmin etrex 22x:
you can import a GPX file to a Garmin eTrex 22x by transferring the file to the device's GPX folder
How to get a gpx file
1) Have some one send you the file
2) Make your own file
a) Go to Google Earth and use “add a path” and make the track
b) The save the file as a kml file
c) Go to the web and convert it to a gpx file
d) follow instructions on the first line above.
Many trails and roads are clearly visible on Google Earth for you to make a path from.
Once you make the path it will contain all the track points on your gps you want.

I'll be happy to provide the entire track
plus whatever waypoints you like

I hate Garmin products, but now you are stuck with it

I would highly recommend to spend as much time as possible on Google Earth (desktop version) and follow the trail.
There are long sections where the trail has been washed away. Since those sections often are not used by locals or animals - there is no path to follow. It will be bushwhacking until you pick up the established trail again.
I would highly recommend to mark those points where the trail disappears and comes back up again. Otherwise you might be bushwhacking parallel to the trail unnecessarily.
I'll be happy to mark those in/out points for you.
Then you transfer them into your GPS.
They won't do you any good on the paper map.

I have done this section with locals guides.
It is fun and relatively easy.
But you could also get lost at a heartbeat.

if you do the trail alone - get an inReach device. The cheapest one will do.

[Edited on 10-20-2024 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.