Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cabo San Lucas Angler Licenses
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 03:17 PM
Cabo San Lucas Angler Licenses

Hi folks,
Licenses is a confusing and frustrating issue for us as well as for visitors.
We do not make the rules, we do however follow them. AND sometimes there canbe a problem with translation - huh? Yes there are times when the same question gets a dfiferent answer by PESCA. Sort of like when you call the IRS in the USA ... hmmmm.
There are BOAT Fishing licenses and ANGLER Fishing Licenses.
All boats must have valid BOAT Fishing licenses on board.
ALL PASSENGERS, on all boats that have fishing tackle/gear aboard, must have a VALID Angler Fishing License on board.
That means even someone who has come along for the ride, and will never touch any piece of equipment must have an ANGLER Fishing license too.
We have told folks time and again that there is a STAMP that must be on all local angler fishing licenses .. By STAMP we dont mean the 'lick&stick" or "Self-adhesive" kinds, we mean the kind that Mexico uses for every document and piece of paper .. Remember when you enter Mexico and the Immigration Official STAMPS (with an old fashioned inkpad gizmo) your tourist visa with His/Her Stamp showing Date, Time and Location? Might also have their name on it .. In any event, and in THIS EVENT, the local PESCA STAMP is what we are referring to. I have sent an email to Pam at Baja Big Fish in Loreto to see if a LORETO PESCA STAMP is on all of their Angler Licenses ...
We have always required every passenger on board to have a valid LOCAL Angler Fishing License - well before they began the recent practice of randonly boarding boats and checking for ALL licenses ... We will not permit any boat to depart the marina aboard one of our charters without them .. not for eleven dollars. It surely is not worth the penalites, nor the embarassment either, to save those dollars. We dont charge a service or processing fee for them either - we sell them to our clients for exactly what we pay for them. Some local charter companies use it as a money making opportunity - charge fourteen dollars for each license that cost them the equivalent of eleven ... To each their own ...
Our Cabo San Lucas office is on the same street as the new PESCA office. Their hours of operation are not always predictable and sometimes it is difficult to understand why .. Thats why we plan ahead and buy these licenses in bulk .. Sometimes we have to gulp when handing over Two thousand two hundred dollars to PESCA for 200 daily licenses but we prefer to be prepared.
Thank you Bernie Swaim for your always ready extended hand of friendship .. you are a gem ...
Lori Garcia
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 03:37 PM

all licenses and permits sold in Mexico have the stamp. so why is it an issue? if you bye a license from some one and it doesn't have the stamp then they are selling the licenses illegally.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 04:39 PM

Its obviously not an issue for you Bruce.

It is an ongoing issue for visitors to our area, Cabo San Lucas, who purchase San Diego for what they are told is a license that will be valid in all parts of Mexico.

Ethan "Pascuale" posted an incorrect interpretation of my email to him.

the post I made is meant to clarify.

Thank yo for your input.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 05:53 PM

Cabo Magic Lori

Still not clear. A guy buys an Annual Mexican Fishing license from a tackle shop in San Diego. The shop bought the licenses in bulk, charges $42.70. the same as the Pesca offices anywhere in Mexico. He drives to Loreto, Mulege, San Felipe, wherever. Is he legal or not? Are you saying that Cabo San Lucas Pesca office wants the license to bear a Mexican stamp? How would the guy get his license stamped? How much would he pay? He has already paid to fish anywhere in Mexico. It has nothing to do with a boat. He owns no boat. He simply pays to fish from a boat.
Thanks,
I'll wait for your reply.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 05:58 PM

I'm gettin' the drift that what they are communicating is the CSL office, right or wrong, is requiring a stamp from the CSL office.

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:18 PM

Thanks Doug for measuring in. That is the message.
We do not make the rules we follow the rules as given to us for guests to fish in our waters aboard any CABO MAGIC Team Vessel.
I respectfully refer you to the PESCA Office in Cabo San Lucas where you can discuss this until clear.
I cannot comment to the requirements in any other part of Mexico - I am stating what the PESCA Office in Cabo San Lucas has told us as recently as Wednesday 27 April 2005. Any guest aboard any boat that departs the marina in Cabo San Lucas must have a current and valid license from Cabo San Lucas.
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:26 PM
stamps

Hey lori,

You need to be more clear about alot of things and get your facts straight. I bought a license from Pam in Loreto not in San Diego, and it has a stamp on it displaying the time and date so any official will know when it was purchased. One day licenses all have them so you know they are only one day. One year licenses have them so you know that they expire one year from the day they were issued. I recieved mine from Pam Bolles and her awesome operation that was much more helpful in everyway than Cabo Magic. if you cant explain the facts then your gonna lose alot of business. I understand what you are trying to accomplish but you need to find out the problem with the Cabo Pesca because they are giving out false information. A year long license WORKS ANYWHERE in MEXICO!

Ethan "Pascuale"

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by pascuale]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Its obviously not an issue for you Bruce.

It is an ongoing issue for visitors to our area, Cabo San Lucas, who purchase San Diego for what they are told is a license that will be valid in all parts of Mexico.

Ethan "Pascuale" posted an incorrect interpretation of my email to him.

the post I made is meant to clarify.

Thank yo for your input.

sorry I did not realize that were selling licenses in the us that are illegal . If they don't have the ruber stamp imprint they are illegal here also.

Do any of you Nomads have the non stamped Licenses? if so you had better bye a new one.

if any one Wants to sell you one of those tell them they are not legal down here and don't pay.

thanks CaboMagic for alerting us to this problem

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:31 PM

Ethan I have refunded your $70.00 and invite you to take your business elsewhere. *We are charged $3 to process your echeck and $3 to refund your $10 per hour deposit paid by you on April 22nd*
Your license from Pam in Loreto has the LORETO PESCA STAMP ON IT.

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by CaboMagic]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:32 PM
Hey

I ain't no silly fisher-person but anybody what's been in Baja for little more than a minute has learned that the rules are Federal but the spin on them is always definitely local.
I wouldn't take one of those big, expensive, boats out without making sure that the 'locals' would be happy that I was following 'their' rules.

Here is rule number one for me and my friends---"Baja is Friends helping Friends."

Tommy and Lori Garcia are two of the nicest people I have NEVER met--And that is Baja too!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:37 PM

Tommy & Lori Garcia's
CABO MAGIC Sportfishing Keeping it reel ? 2000
FISH know CABO MAGIC and PENN TACKLE are the TEAM to get HOOKED ON ? 2000
First Class ~ Affordable ~ Experience It ~
Visit us online www.cabomagic.com
Setting New Standards in Cabo San Lucas since 1999
Home of the Original Daily Catch Report
Call us in Cabo San Lucas
Tollfree from the USA /Canada
Dial 888-475-5337
Local Tel/Fax 10-50403
CABO MAGIC ~ Always a Leader .

Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 06:51 PM

Well, I'll reiterate. The Fishing License's that I bought (helped some friends buy) in Cabo San Lucas were EXACTLY Like the license I purchased at Fishermans landing in San Diego.

There is no extra or geographical "Stamp" on the license and the port captain, who happened to have a bunch of fellows with AK47's stopping ALL boats leaving the harbor, accepted my license just like they accepted the ones just purchased at the Pesca office in Cabo.
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 10:31 PM

Good luck with your business and thank you for my refund.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 07:25 AM

Lori, since you ARE THE OWNER, and since your Business Office is only 3 doors away from the Pesca office in CSL, it is mandatory that you, the business owner, get over there immediately, with an interpeter with you, in case the Pesca official tries the "no comprende" routine. Also take in David Flores, the editor of the "Gringo Gazette" newspaper.
Then ask the questions to them!

The daily Federal Mexican fishing license cost is 11 dollars, we all agree. This is helpful for the fishermen who fly in without any license at all and can get one thru the charter company.
BUT, an annual Mexican Federal Fishing License, that most Baja travelers get in San Diego at their local fishing supply store, or the same annual license the residents and people who reside in Mexico get in La Paz, CSL, at the PESCA office, ARE ALL THE SAME!
. I repeat, all Mexican Federal licenses are the same.
There IS NO LEGAL extra 11 dollars SURCHARGE needed to pay for one who chooses to fish out of CABO SAN LUCAS,provided you already have a valid Mexican Federal annual license.
PERIOD.

Since you are a "extranjero" doing business in CSL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A BUSINESS OWNER to go get the accurate info from PESCA.
And remember, Pesca is only a few doors away, you say!

What will be the answer? I expect that it will all be a mis-understanding, that yes, all the annual Mexican licenses are valid, whereever legally purchased!

Saludos,,,,mc

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by mrchuck]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:03 AM

what info do you want . it is simple if you bought a license or permit that dose not have a official rubber stamp imprint on it . you don't have a valid license or permit any where in Mexico. what could be more clear.

I sale Licenses here in Mulege and they all must be this way. don't bye a Bogus license from some one that doesn't have the official rubber stamp.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 09:15 AM

I appreciate your input Mr Chuck as well.

My responsibility is to follow the rules. We are required to have a valid angler fishing license on boats for each and every person on board. And we do without exception.

I cannot offer an explanation why there have been licneses rejected by the CSL PESCA office previously - I just know they have been.

All of these young men with their AK47's who are given the responsibility of checking documetnation may or may not know how to read - - might that have an effect as to their acceptance or rejection of any paperwork?

Surely you have experienced personally in all your years of living in BCS that which could only be explained off as 'ni modo' ...

Over the last 2+years, commencing right around when an American boat owner who has a charter boat irritated the local PESCA officials by writing a lenghty report about Licenses that was posted on an unreal number of discussion boards, Gene Kiras fish report and many other places, calling Mexican nationals and PESCA Officials unflattering terms, and, specfiically complained about one local official, there have been a multitude of 'crackdowns' by many officials who benefit from the economics of enforcement ... We never forget that this is Mexico and not Newport South. There are no plans to change, rather, will continue to do what we do how we do it, as we are supportive and supported for our business practices and ethics.

That there is a misunderstanding because of a level of comprehension, or kneejerk reaction to our policies and/or procedures, will not affect our business practices either.

I offered for Ethan to have his license checked and "ok'd" by PESCA. Unfortunately his interepretation of my words seemed to twist what I said and I offered the clairification.

We know that there are those who are perfectly happy paying $14 for a license that costs $11 .. We know as well there are those who fail to understand what supporting the unlicensed brokers that wander town and the marina really does. We accept that we cannot make everyone happy all of the time, and that despite and inspite of all best efforts, there will be misunderstandings and unhappy clients ...

As Bernie pointed out in a private email, this is not something that happens very often. Still every time it comes up, I will continue to refer clients to the PESCA office to have their license checked. Why? Because on the off-chance that the wind has changed direction, and brought a change to the answer to that same question, we wont be the ones with guests fish being confiscated, or with trying to explain to a visitor what happened

Thank you everyone for your opinions and input.

Lori Garcia

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchuck
Lori, since you ARE THE OWNER, and since your Business Office is only 3 doors away from the Pesca office in CSL, it is mandatory that you, the business owner, get over there immediately, with an interpeter with you, in case the Pesca official tries the "no comprende" routine. Also take in David Flores, the editor of the "Gringo Gazette" newspaper.
Then ask the questions to them!

The daily Federal Mexican fishing license cost is 11 dollars, we all agree. This is helpful for the fishermen who fly in without any license at all and can get one thru the charter company.
BUT, an annual Mexican Federal Fishing License, that most Baja travelers get in San Diego at their local fishing supply store, or the same annual license the residents and people who reside in Mexico get in La Paz, CSL, at the PESCA office, ARE ALL THE SAME!
. I repeat, all Mexican Federal licenses are the same.
There IS NO LEGAL extra 11 dollars SURCHARGE needed to pay for one who chooses to fish out of CABO SAN LUCAS,provided you already have a valid Mexican Federal annual license.
PERIOD.

Since you are a "extranjero" doing business in CSL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A BUSINESS OWNER to go get the accurate info from PESCA.
And remember, Pesca is only a few doors away, you say!

What will be the answer? I expect that it will all be a mis-understanding, that yes, all the annual Mexican licenses are valid, whereever legally purchased!

Saludos,,,,mc

it will never cease to amaze me how people will tell you what your responsibilitys are and how to run your business when they don't have the responsibility to know what they are talking about .:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 12:40 PM
Although Los Cabos

has made Newport Beach look like childs play when it comes to gringo tourists, I find it hard to believe that they are able to make up their own rules and ignore federal law and regulations.
I suppose anythings possible.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 01:55 PM

I have an annual fishing license, with stamp, that I got through the Vags.

Now you're telling me I have to get another license to fish in Cabo because mine wasn't purchased locally?

How do they know where it was stamped? Does Cabo use a different stamp? :?:

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:21 PM

We'll looks like Cabo is not part of Mexico and Mexican fishing licenses do not work. Ladies and gentelman, welcome to the Republic of Cabo, where fishing licenses are only $11 dollars a day, sold at your nearest Pesca office or your nearest fine fishing establishment.:lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.