BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Three most upscale restaurants in Rosarito Beach?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 07:51 PM
Three most upscale restaurants in Rosarito Beach?

My wife's boss has rented a house in RB and has asked me where to eat in RB.

They have ample means and all that comes with that, so I don't think I'll be recommending Tacos Yaqui or any of the other restaurants I hit on the rare occasion I eat in RB.

They want to eat lobster, so it should serve that.

Any suggestions?

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by Hook]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:25 PM
Upscale ?

Chaberts at the Rosarito Beach Hotel
Portifino upstairs and across the street to the soujt of Sr. Frogs
French Restaurant just south of Tequila Safari

Where I would eat
La Estancia towards the beach 2 blocks north of WaldoMart
Bobby's By The Sea, just north of Puerto Nuevo
The new Ortegas on the southwest corner of Puerto Nuevo

There are contless others but, when you order the lobster, order it steamed (al vapor) or grilled( a la parilla) or it will taste just like the fish that was just deep fried in the same grease (Puerto Nuevo Style):light:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:14 PM
Thanks, JR

I figured you were the guy.:yes:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:19 AM
De nada Hook

Most important advice is the way you order the lobster, no matter where you are having it.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:05 AM

I've made the mistake one time that I wanted my longosta "less done" than it is normally prepared, not wanting it dried out..........BIG MISTAKE.........nearly raw longosta = lousy texture and no flavor.... YUCK!

Jr,
You didn't mention El Nido or Los Pelicanos ?????

Therianthropic
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:09 AM
Both good places

But the plastic windows surrounding Pelicanos annoy me. We still go there plenty though.

El Nido is well, um, kinda "dk" like for my tastes. They even have a built in coop!:lol::lol::lol: Good food and we've had lotsa fun there as well, I just prefer these other places.

Mike, never ever order anything cooked rare here. The restaurants I mentioned know how to cook it either grilled or steamed/boiled. Much better flavor.

I will say though that the best lobster we eat are from our lobster delivery guy (Irving). He brings live ones up from Ensenada and we cook them ourselves. The Best!

I named the lobster guy Irving, (Irving Steinberg) in fact. Let's see who will make what out of this one.:lol::lol::lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 12:38 PM
That's er uh,

quite the guide there Pompano. Be sure to wear your shirt when you come by!:lol::lol::lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:16 PM
I don't know about getting Ham

in Rosarito. But I do know some good Carnitas for sure!!:lol:

And after re-reading, I have this saying. "Never order Spaghetti in the Phillipines". I learned this lesson after seeing it on the me?u at the Manila Hotel and ordering it. It was not good! Ketchup sauce with bits of arroz movibles :lol::lol::lol: hahahaha just kidding, but it was BAD.

This lesson also applies to ordering say, a hamburger at the Red Lobster, seafood soup at Black Angus and so on and so forth.
It also applies to the Mexican Hotels as a rule. Hotels are for sleeping. Restaurants are for eating.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 03:50 PM
"nother lobster story

Sizzler restaurant... and I use the term loosely.
Mid 1990's
Ordered lobster, the waitress brought my order and with my first bite I knew something was VERY wrong.
I notified the waitress accordingly and she politely brought me another order.
Guess what, it tasted equally horrid.
I that point I began thinking that maybe it was the drawn "butter". So I tasted it without the lobster.
Guess what, it was the "butter" that tasted horrid so I pointed it out to the concerned waitress.

Her response was "Oh, that's not butter, it's margarine!"

Substituting margarine for butter is like substituting golf balls for eggs!

P.S. They didn't ask me to pay for my meal after they brought me butter.

Therianthropic
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 04:00 PM
Little Saigon, Ca.

Taking Mom out for asian dinner I ordered lobster something with cream sauce. Dish come velly plitty. Unfortunately, the entire lobster, shell and all had been mashed into the cream sauce.:lol: After discovering they didn't have any special technique for eating "dish come dis way"

I ordered the arroz you know what!:lol::lol::lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 05:55 PM
JR, sorry

I beg to differ with two of your recommendations.

Don't go to Chaberts -- overpriced mediocre food. The last time I was there, my *field greens* salad was served with a dressing of Karo syrup with a stale garnish. I was so horrified by that, I don't remember the rest of the meal, but it was BAD, you can search these archives for details.

Bobby's by the Sea -- don't go there. We've tried it any number of times, some good, some very, very bad and after JR's last recommendation, we went again and had a horrible meal. My guess is that the kitchen is not well controlled and that there is a lot of turnover. I would never send *my boss* to such an uneven place.

Now, on to the positive.

If your boss must have lobster, go south for a few miles to the Cantamar exit and eat at The Palms or even farther to La Fonda del Rio in La Mision (do not go to the old La Fonda!). Both are established and reliable and because of that, not cheap.

Avoid Puerto Nuevo at all costs. I presume your boss will be driving a very nice car. The pay parking is an unregulated and uninsured operation and various roaming gangs of sophisticated car thieves prey on this area. The food served n Puerto Nuevo is uneven and across the board unreliable. The lobsters are pre-fried, stored frozen, then refried according to demand. Even when you ask for steamed, it comes out of the freezer. And, Puerto Nuevo is just a gringo tourist and drunken SD frat boy place -- not a high end dining experience.

La Querencia is hands down the best upscale restaurant in Rosarito. It's not in town, you need to go a couple of miles north, heading towards TJ on the free road. The chef is a Cordon Bleu graduate, cooked at the five star hotels in Mexico City and came home to his family to open a restaurant here. He specializes in Nuevo Mexicano cuisine and excells at it. The restaurant is artfully decorated and the service is impeccable (search for my previous post). I don't recall if he serves lobster, but everything on the large and varied menu is worth trying. Raw scallop seviche in a soy sesame sauce comes to mind. Awesome venison preparations, a great tuna steak and very, very good lamb and ribeye.

One last rec. I know your boss is going to Mexico for a Mexican food good time, but, one of the best restaurants in central Rosarito (across from Quinta del Mar Hotel) is, gasp!, Italian. "That's Amore", run by the charismatic Carlo, who worked at the El Bizcocho at Rancho Santa Fe and then had his own highly successful restaurant in Escondido. His old customers drive to Rosarito just to eat at the new place. The old cliche is true, everything on the menu is wonderful. He cooks the best fish I have tasted, his sauces are always 'a point". He'll make anything you ask for if he can, but why bother when he's always using the best of what's available and creating wonderful meals every single day.

By the way, the restaurant's interior is gorgeous, reminiscent of a bistro in Tuscany, and the service is European style. Silverware is replaced, drinks are poured with cloth napkins wrapping the dispensers...a gracious dining experience.

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-31-2005 at 06:09 PM
Interesting Points

Although I didn't say anything about eating at Chaberts if you would notice. And I'm not going to argue with Rosaritos new Galloping Gypsy Gourmet but, I stand by the recommendations I did make.
Don't go to Puerto Nuevo on weekends, and eat at the Ortegas I mentioned and you won't be disappointed. We have always enjoyed Bobby's, especially the eggplant parmesian and beef cuts. The pasta is made fresh daily.
With such a strong opinion against these places, something reminds me of the La Fonda customers that don't like the place. Those people can't handle their margaritas either :lol:

My suggestions are also based on atmosphere, view, and the entire dining experience to be had.

"The last time I was there, my *field greens* salad was served with a dressing of Karo syrup with a stale garnish. I was so horrified by that, I don't remember the rest of the meal, but it was BAD, you can search these archives for details."

I assume by this statement that you have been to Chaberts more than once. Although we have eaten there, most anyyone who has lived in Rosarito for a while certainly knows not to go there, especially more than once!:lol:

[Edited on 9/1/2005 by jrbaja]
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 06:25 PM

Heaven....
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 08:41 PM

HOOK,,,,, La Querencia. If they have three nights, dont miss it.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:35 PM
Three Best

1. La Querencia
2. The Palms (Cantamar)
3. Las Mananitas

Bobby's by the Sea - total swill, run by an a-hole
Chabert's - no way, overpriced, blah
La Estancia - can one place get to be more Gringo?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Dine in the Best Restaurants. All Were Personally Reviewed!

(5) Rosarito Beach Convis.
(5) Soriano-Marty & Associates Real Estate

(7) Foxploration

...and Pampano, what did you order at Foxploration. Was there dessert?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:06 PM

"That's Amore!", with Carlo at the helm, is tough to beat anywhere. First class chef with all the trimings. If you have trouble deciding, just ask him what he's in the mood to cook. You won't be dissappointed! Also, his desserts are to die for! Then on down to Renee's for a nightcap!
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:19 PM

Greetings: >>>>> Three BajaNomads talk of having knowledge of this restaurant, Las Querencia, in Rosarito Beach. Sounds very interesting. Tell me more and exactly how do I find this special messhall. Want to try it out this week end. >>>>> Best Regards, sq.
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greetings: >>>>> Three BajaNomads talk of having knowledge of this restaurant, Las Querencia, in Rosarito Beach. Sounds very interesting. Tell me more and exactly how do I find this special messhall. Want to try it out this week end. >>>>> Best Regards, sq.

It is on the free road north of town on the way to TJ. It is one the ocean side of the road about one mile north of the intersection of the free and pay roads at the north end of Rosarito Beach. It is next to a big propane station. It is a little hard to see from the road, so go slow.

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by The Gull]

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by The Gull]

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2005 at 08:56 AM
There seems to be some dispute here

from the tourists viewpoints anyways:lol::lol::lol: And who would know more about restaurants than the occasional Nomad tourist passing through?:lol:
For starters, the Palm Grill has good food but, I don't think Mexicans are even allowed inside. It in fact is about as touristy as you can get! That's not a Mexican Jazz band playing on weekends Gull.
Estancia also has a gringo crowd but the Mexican food is the best and the steaks don't need knives.
Las Ma?anitas is next to my house. They started out well but the food has turned to consistently bad. They do have really good breakfast potatoes though. But that's it.
And I'm not sure why these tourists don't understand that I did not recommend Chaberts unless it's because they are trying to prove their vast knowledge of Rosarito Beach as a tourist. Chaberts is "upscale" but not a good place to eat. I hear they are having reading comprehension classes on Wednesdays though. I think they throw in a free salad bar.:lol:
One of the factors with people coming down to Rosarito is ambiance and getting a feel for things Mexican and the atmosphere.
If you consider eating alongside the dairy and gas company on the free road a treat, then that is the ambiance for you.
If you like ocean views, sunsets, excellent food and a memorable experience, I would try the places I recommended. They are based on living here and consistency, not just one or two experiences passing through.

I do hear Querencia is really good, as long as the wind is blowing the right direction!

From the Gypsy
"Avoid Puerto Nuevo at all costs. I presume your boss will be driving a very nice car. The pay parking is an unregulated and uninsured operation and various roaming gangs of sophisticated car thieves prey on this area. The food served n Puerto Nuevo is uneven and across the board unreliable. The lobsters are pre-fried, stored frozen, then refried according to demand. Even when you ask for steamed, it comes out of the freezer. And, Puerto Nuevo is just a gringo tourist and drunken SD frat boy place -- not a high end dining experience."
" Roaming gangs of "sophisticated car thieves":lol::lol::lol:
The Ortegas I mentioned has their own lot with security.

If you aren't "sophisticated" enough to not go on the weekends, then that pretty much invalidates the rest of your suggestions! How long you been down here again?:o
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.