Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Satellite TV-Internet-Phone
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 05:52 PM
Satellite TV-Internet-Phone

Moving to central Baja. Does anyone know if Satellite TV-Internet-Phone is available? Does Mexico's satellite "Sky" TV have programing available in English? Thanks for your help!
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

thumbup.gif posted on 9-5-2005 at 06:23 PM
from Mulege....yep it's all here

We are fulltime here at La Playa Posada Concepcion, a small beach 15 minutes south of Mulege. We have DirecWay internet with Crystal Voice phone...works fine but you have to train your friends how to deal with a 3 second delay. We just use the old radio trick "over". It's a real deal at 2.9 cents/minute to the US anytime. However if I call here locally it's 35 cents/minute. DirectTV is here fine but you can't get the local channels you are used to....we can't anyway from the SF area. Bigtime tips- you need a one meter dish here. Anything you get in the US will not work right for the TV. Internet....you gotta bring the stuff down. It's EZ to install but you have to be assigned satellite 117 (Mx3). You can get the equipment at the border.....$60/month internet and the CrystalVoice phone is $12.95/year plus usage. E me if you need more info. Jim
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 06:29 PM

I have Direct Tv as well, works great and I get the local channels. I signed up in the states, so I get the local Ch. as well. I use Skype and it's free, but it's the same as Apples, you have about a 3 second delay...
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 08:44 PM
Directv

Quote:
Originally posted by bajablue
I have Direct Tv as well, works great and I get the local channels. I signed up in the states, so I get the local Ch. as well. I use Skype and it's free, but it's the same as Apples, you have about a 3 second delay...

I have it on my motothome. ( on my roof) do you know if I can change the dish or do I have to change the LBNs?
Maybe the whole mount too???:o
Do I need a different dish for internet?
Albert

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2005 at 11:13 PM

Albert,

I have a motorhome with the LS2 Inmotion system. Satellite reception is good until I pass Maneadero (about 100 miles South of the border) then it starts to fade. I have managed to connect in San Quintin (about 250 miles South of the border) while not moving, but, it too fades after a while. If your dish is the standard size (about 18") used on most motorhomes you'll experience the same problems. The solution is to get a larger dish, 1 meter is the reccomended size, I have had success with the 24" dish. You can buy outside portable ground mounts and then run coax cable to your receiver. You can also buy a receiver to use just in your motorhome with no phone connection. Cost is pretty minimal, about $5 a month. You'll still receive your local channels. Dishnetworks in no way guarntees that you will have reception any where South of the border.

Bedman
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 12:02 AM

Any info on whats available in San Felipe ? We are moving there Sept 25 (much sooner than we thought) Any info on phone/internet/tv - will be of much value :yes::wow::biggrin:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 05:08 AM

Chispa, Price, and others interested in: Satellite - TV, Internet, Phone, etc. - please be informed that it is all available. Do a search on the subject here, other Baja forums, or Google and find tons of information on various companies offering service.

In Baja (We are Baja Sur) you can receive these:

C-band satellite tv
digital satellite tv
satellite Internet
Internet phone
cell phone
land line phone
fax
satellite phone
XM satellite radio
Sirus satellite radio

InMotion satellite system on our RV lost it's reception at Catavina/Sta Inez with a standard 18" roof dish. Previous years our DirecWay systems performed the same. Portable 1 meter dish restored signal. Buy largest dish appropriate for your use. Our house C-band, digital sat tv/Internet, phones, sat. radio, etc. etc. have excellent reception. There are many provider choices.

Good luck.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:17 AM

Price,
I have Direcway Satellite Internet in San Felipe. It is now available From CSI (Shane Brown) and I hear there is a new service coming up soon that will likly be cheaper. I do not have a phone because I could no longer stand the service with Telnor phone Co. especially for Internet connection but some get along ok now with it. ONLY some tho! You can also get Direct TV thru CSI in San Felipe. I will be going home to SF late this month so I will be checking on the new service then as I now pay $58.99 a month for the one I have.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 12:15 PM

If anybody is interested, I have a 1.1 meter dish available. Comes with the LNB for direct TV. Also have 2 boxes. I finally went to Star choice. Too much trouble with Direct TV. I'm in Loreto, Nopolo, Loreto Bay, take your pick.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 12:25 PM
LNBs

The LNBs for both DirecTv and Dish Network Receive on the same frequency. Antennas for one can be used for the other.

As far as service available in the San Felipe area, if you register DishNet service in San Diego and buy the local channel package, at times the service may drop out because those channels are on a spotbeam transponder and San Felipe is on the fringe of the SD target area.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by MrBillM]
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 01:02 PM

Dish TV is available in San Felipe also.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 01:25 PM

We have Motosat Datastorm and DirecTV. I like it because it's mobile. It went all the way to the Arctic Circle with us on this current trip, although I lost my satellite connection (too low on the horizon above about latitude 55) and I just wi-fi'ed to a couple of fixed satellites in the Yukon. We rarely use the TV BOW, so I'll probably toss that "bird" after this current contract is over.

The current satellite I'm using (AMC-9) works well in the U.S. and up into Canada as well as Punta Bufeo, but if I go further south another satellite will be necessary.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by bufeo]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 02:02 PM

POMPANO

There are 2 Canadian satellite systems that I'm aware of. Star Choice and Bell Vue, ( not sure if that's the correct name ) Quite a few people here in Loreto have gone with Star Choice and are very pleased with it. Subscriptions run about the same as Direct or Dish.
Chispa

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:33 PM

Pompano, could you please give us some names of satellite tv, satellite internet and internet phone service providers that work well in Baja (I'm personally most interested in Central Baja). Also, for those of us who are new to being "unplugged" what's the main difference between C-band and digital satellite tv? And what does LNB stand for? From the previous posts, we do have a couple providers to check out, Star Choice, Motosat Datastorm, LS2 Inmotion and Crystal Voice V.O.I. Any more that you are familiar with will be much appreciated.

vadenberg, do you know how a non Canadian would go about subscribing to Star Choice?

Jim (CasaManzana) I sent you an email, are you home?

Thank you all very much, this information seems to be impossible to get without people like you! chispa
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 06:10 AM

We just got SAT INTERNET this weekend...it works GREAT!!!

DirectWay 6000...Wayne Davey from near Santa Rosalia assisted us. Cost is $400 for equipment and $200 instal (required) Monthly fee is ~$60.00

Wayne and his son are very professional. He reassigned our modem to SATMEX5

Wayne says crystal voice is the cheapest telephone system.

We are leaning toward Vontage because of the virtual phone number provided for $5 a month. The fee is $15 a month.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 06:28 AM

Chispa, LNB is:

LNB (Low Noise Block down-converter)
The LNB is the component located at the end of the arm projecting from the satellite dish. It converts the Ku-band signal beamed from the satellite to a 3.7 - 4.2GHz signal, then filters out low-end frequencies and amplifies the high-frequency signal before sending it to the LNB's coaxial output(s). Satellite service providers (such as DIRECTV) have satellites in multiple orbital positions, and a separate LNB is needed to access each satellite position. Essentially it just 'tunes' the feed from the satellite.

(From http://www.dish-network-satellite-tv.ws/glossary-2.htm )

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 09:16 AM
Vonage on DirecWay

I initially attempted to use a Vonage-type service on DirecWay without success. After a week of troubleshooting and queries to both the Telco Tech Support and DirecWay Tech Support, the problem was found to be the UPLOAD speed on DirecWay which is usually in the mid-dialup range (tested between 19K and 34K). After isolating that problem, the actions of the Telephone made sense i.e. I could receive fine, but my transmission would be broken and garbled.

Contacting my DirecWay provider, he confirmed that Vonage would not work consistently on DirecWay and that they had found only Crystal Voice would work properly.

Interestingly, the restricted upload speed on DirecWay is an artificial imposition. Their response to my questions was that I could upgrade to the Professional level service $129.00 monthly and be guaranteed higher upload speed. Not a reasonable choice given the frequency that I use the phone and the availability of Cell service. I use Crystal-Voice to check my ATT voicemails and Telcel prepaid to make calls. At the required purchase of 100 peso cards every sixty days, my Telcel account is now up to 700 pesos. Others probably use the phone more than I do.

Before making a telco decision, spend some time testing your upload/download speeds. An excellent site to do so is:
www.testmy.net

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by MrBillM]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 09:32 AM

That makes a lot of $cents:tumble:

THANK YOU...it's way better not to make mistakes that others have already made:tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 11:51 AM

Sparky

Look in your U2U box
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-7-2005 at 01:55 PM

We live in Coyote Bay south of Mulege and have a direcway internet system installed by Wayne Davis and his son. After two years here trying without much success to use the pay phones, this system-- and through it Crystalvoice--is heaven. Wayne is very knowledgable, quick, friendly, and above all honest. We are totally powered by a solar system and have had not one problem in the year we've had the system. If you are thinking about putting in a system such as this you would do well to contact Wayne.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.