Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Fishing Report
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 08:15 PM
Loreto Fishing Report

Late last month with much more fishing than catching in Loreto I made an early foray out to Thetis Bank and then on down to the East Cape to try for a big blue marlin on his way south for the winter. (Only yellowfin on Thetis in late August and just one small, 175 lb., blue marlin on the East Cape) In the week that I have been back I have found the best fishing in Loreto so far this year. I have seen yellowfin tuna each of the four days I have fished and today scored for the first time. The last three days out I have caught a striped marlin. Today fishing 25 miles NNE of town the tally was one marlin, one sailfish, five yellowfin tuna, two dorado and one bonita. The largest yellowfin was 26 lbs. and the dorado were schoolies under a tree floating three miles outside the marina. Still, the action is nice for a change. Maybe those bigger tuna in Mulege will linger in Loreto awhile on their way south.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 05:29 AM
Thanks

Thanks for some good news out of Loreto..Were headed down next week.:biggrin::biggrin:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 11:42 AM

LORETO FISHING

To call the Loreto fishing a little slow is an understatement. However, last week, launching in Nopolo (tides important) we got 4 school size dorado right off the airport, not more then 3 miles from the ramp. That's pretty nice, not having to go for many miles and never see a fish . Never in my ,close to 20 years here ,has that happened . Always got something. A few weeks ago, all I got for 4 hrs of fishing ,was 1 spanish mackerel9 Forgot the name) and wondered what happened to the huge schools they used to run in:O:O:O:o:o:o
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 03:43 PM
Sierra

The huge schools of sierra mackerel that used to be seen around Loreto were gillnetted by the ton in the two channels that run between El Islote and Coronado and Doctor's point for several years. Maybe too many years, eh?

I well remember when if all else failed there was always the tasty and easy to catch sierra. Not so for a while now.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 06:16 PM

Gee, I had no idea it was that bad in the Bay of Concepcion! I was feeling a sense of envy. How long has it been a dead sea? Hope that doesn't happen down here where I live -- I'm about 300 yards from the ocean but here I can fish right in front of my house. Currently there's a tuna hole out about 3 km and the bull dorado are hanging around. Just great to catch my limit in view of my little Mexican house. I usually keep about 50 to 100 lbs of filet per summer (without going over my limit on the license) but I give most of it away. My wife will only cook blue marlin, dorado, sierra, tuna or pargo so everything else is catch and release. I spent a lot of time camping in the Bay of Conception in the 70s and 80s and was hoping against hope that it wasn't as polluted/dead as I had heard.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 03:36 PM

It is basically a dead sea here unless you go the 50+ miles South to the Gordo Banks, or go East 40+ miles out for yellowfin tuna.
These 2 places are producing the fish that the hotel cruisers bring back here with their flags flying.
The area within, say a 20 mile sweep from Los Barriles is barren.
There is, however, a giant humbolt squid bite 2 miles straight out though, if that is what you want.
The worst year here so far for fishing,,,,, Saludos,,,,mc
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 05:48 AM

THANKS FOR THE REPORT BILL!!........that was all I needed to hear!:bounce::bounce: I'm packed and I'll be there in a week.Keep em corraled up! CJ:cool:
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 09:26 AM
East Cape Fishing for Mr Chuck

Mr Chuck, I am gathering my stuff to head south to Verdugos in a week. Otis is looking to make a mess of the roads and now a grim fish report from you. Can you give me a glimmer of hope? I thought I read they were getting some small tunas close off La Ribera. Have you seen any sign of small tuna off Punta Pescadero?

Also can you update me on any new rules about driving on the beach? Can we still drive on to the beach at Verdugos to fuel the boat and pick up equipment? Any info would be great. I am looking to see if I need to come up with a cart befor I take off.

Thanks
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 06:50 PM

No true yft tuna close. I tried both those close spots and ONLY barrilette, but that is TUNA to a mexican. Sorry.

Only a few still gas on the beach, with the PROFEPA and all maybe lurking from the bushes.

Martin's hotel cruisers bring back tuna from afar daily from the places I mentioned. Nothing close at all.
Presently, all boats out of the water due to Huracan Otis.
But all will be back in the water in a week, or sooner.

I am sitting here on the shore waiting too, also going into "withdrawal pains and symptoms.
Wish the truth about the fish was better. Sorry.
We can hope when the hot weather goes away, the dorado will return.
Saludos,,,,mc

ps, there are no new rules about beach driving. IT has always been against their law and constitution, and now the enforcement has caught up to here like in Cabo San Lucas and other growing cities and places.
Less people means less law enforcement.....
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 08:06 PM
east cape fishing

As per usual, Mr Chuck, tells no lies!
If all the hotel's would only,post a factual fish report, You folks that are inclined to come down here, fill your coolers, and go home, would be better off to go elsewhere. Southern Baja is not were it"s at anymore. Get some sun, swim, eat well, take pictures, Enjoy yourselves,but don"t plan on catching fish to take home, Baja is not a fishermans paridise
these days. I and others that live here, will dispute all the so called ,IN The KNow Fish Count
Reports!! They are meant to get you to book a hotel and a boat! Granted some days are good, but most days this YEAR
have been Lousy for Quality Fishing!
A prime example: The last tournement here in August.
66, I repeat 66 boats, most of which were over 40 ft, with all the bells and whisles, ONE qualifiying FISH!!
On any other day, some boats catch a few Small tuna, Sailfish, Stripers, An occasional Blue, an a whole lot of boats,
come in SKUNKED!! This is now the norm, unfortuately, We
are an area that is dependent on your Tourism, but this report is just fact, as I know it! And I have been fishing here too long be be crying WOLF.
Lo Seinto.
Miguel
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 10:39 PM

Ok, I know the fishing is tuff but give me some help here I come to drink beer. All this talk about bad fishing and my wife will be on to me. I will be there in a week and I will bring the fish! 50 miles for tuna I can do that, fishing from a panga is truly Madness
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:44 AM

AIRPORT

Again, there's dorado in front of the airport and Nopolo beach. Caught 3 there 2 days ago and also a nice big sierra. Not much size to the dorado, but at least it's fish and only a short trip. Launched at the Nopolo ramp. Got them in roughly 100 ft of water.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.