Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Fish/Game bust
Butch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 04:37 PM
Mexican Fish/Game bust

Understand Mx F/G busted some locals caught with over 1000 pounds of Tortuava in their iced truck near Pta Bufeo. Confiscated at least one panga/motor and took two locals into custody plus the truck & 3 more locals. Panga still had about 20 freshly caught Tortuava on board ! Hooray for F/G for doing their job!
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 05:44 PM

?Whats a Tortuava?

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
?Whats a Tortuava?

Well if you don't know then not sure I know. Thought it was a turtle?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 06:58 PM

some say they tasten like lobster?? any truth in tha old timers??

jerry and judi
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2005 at 07:45 PM

Lobster.....Hmmm...? Last time I caught or ate Totouava was the late 60's. I seem to remember it was more like Corvina. But I've burned a lot of brain cells since then. I've never caught a Huge one......largest I remember was 40 or 50 pounds. I have seen some #200 to #300 Monsters on the beach.

Bedman
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:59 AM

On a trip to consag rock , fishing with pangueros saw some guy,s on another boat catch a tortaube @50 lbs ,told them it was endagered and against the law, all to no avail, don,t think the f,g get to s/f much jim
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
?Whats a Tortuava?

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/totoa/totoatony.jpg

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 09:34 AM

Short Story; It is one of the bset Tasting fish in the Sea of Cortez!!!

In 1968 0n my first trip to Baja I landed on a Road and taxied up to the back of a small Motel in San Felipe. Filled my tanks from a 55 Gal Drum strained with a Chamois. Following I had a Dinner of Tortuava lightly cooked in Garlic.
One of the best meals I have ever had in Baja. I stoped there several more times until the new airport opened.

Skeet/Loreto
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 09:38 AM

Nuttin tastes like lobster but lobster!

Especially the true N/E lobster, claws and all...

T-fish look like giant corvina....were they ever caught from the beach? I heard at one time there were so many (like striped bass in the N/E) that they would get caught up in tidal pools and be pitchforked out....

Used for fertilizer...know for sure about the bass but not about the Tortuava....anyone have more info????

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 04:17 PM
Tortuava is protected species..along with turtles.

I see someone revived an old post from 2005 on the plight of the tortuava. This fish is strictly protected..along with the turtles.

Early on in San Felipa's history...from the early 1900's... huge tortuava were caught in numbers and close inshore....but sadly, no conservation was practiced.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 04:29 PM
Totoaba

I think you-all are talking about Totoaba (do a Google to make sure). These great fish were caught regularly, at least in the northern Sea of Cortez, back in the '50's and '60's. Due to severe depletion, they were made illegal somewhere in the '70's or so.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
I think you-all are talking about Totoaba (do a Google to make sure). These great fish were caught regularly, at least in the northern Sea of Cortez, back in the '50's and '60's. Due to severe depletion, they were made illegal somewhere in the '70's or so.

Here's a citation on the subject:

Conservation Biology
Volume 9 Issue 4 Page 806 - August 1995
doi:10.1046/j.1523-1739.1995.09040806.x

Life History and Conservation of Totoaba macdonaldi

Miguel A. Cisneros-Mata, * Gabriela Montemayor-L?pez, * and Martha J. Rom?n-Rodr?guez

We conducted a literature review on the biology, ecology, fishery, and protection of totoaba (Totoaba macdonaldi), an endemic, threatened fish of the Gulf of Calfornia, Mexico. Reinterpretation and integration of published and unpublished information enabled us to confirm and estimate specific biological parameters of the totooba, make hypothetical constructs of its life history, and to propose ideas for its preservation. In specific, we found (1) that the mean age of first reproduction of male and female totoaba are 6 and 7 years, respectively; (2) that the intrinsic rate of natural mortality was estimated as 0.268 per year and (3) that in the mid 1980s an estimated 120,300 juveniles died each year in the shrimp fishery by-catch and 6200 adults (26 kg average weight) died due to poaching. The parameters of an individual growth model for juveniles and adults were also estimated. Decreased spring water input from the Colorado River into the Gulf of California may have caused a contraction of the spawning season and a reduction of the carrying capacity of juvenile totoaba. An increase in annual survival during recent years indicates recovery of the stock that might be related to protection of adults. We argue that habitat restoration, which includes the elimination of growth and recruitment over-fishing, is critical to increasing numbers of totoaba, and thereby lifting the fishing ban, and to the delisting of totoaba.

----------------

gringorio :bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
some say they tasten like lobster?? any truth in tha old timers??

more like Beef but a lot more fat

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
Nuttin tastes like lobster but lobster!

Especially the true N/E lobster, claws and all...

T-fish look like giant corvina....were they ever caught from the beach? I heard at one time there were so many (like striped bass in the N/E) that they would get caught up in tidal pools and be pitchforked out....

Used for fertilizer...know for sure about the bass but not about the Tortuava....anyone have more info????

Capt. George

I have had some blue shark prepared so it was real close to lobster

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:58 PM

Used to go to San Felipe from Coachella Valley and regularly catch Tortuava in the Late 50's early 60's (before the big Hurricane). 40-50 #'s close in, larger >100#'s, from a boat. Great eating, but unfortunately most people caught them for sport. We kept ours - large family -and shared with the locals.

From what the locals told me, the netters devistated them.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:42 AM

that's what nets do...I caught more striped bass hook and line then most. However, 45 years later, with literally thousands of bass caught, I have still not come close to one beach haul seine I witnessed on the beaches of Montauk Pt. NY

Their wiping out estero Coyote now...will net again this March, a nursery, the by-catch kill is frightening....Greed, no one in this town is "starving". Mexico no differeny then the states in this regard, even worse! Keep it up, and "starving" they will be.

Capt George

Since netting the estero 2 years ago the fishing has not been the same, only worse to come....

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:55 AM

Capt George...same netting is still happening here in Bahia de Concepcion...a maritime park, no less. Outside in the Cortez, it is business as usual. Take as much as possible in the quickest time and the hell with tomorrow. Well, there is not much left. The tortuava are gone, the snook are gone, the pompano are mostly gone, the list grows every year. Our bay is eerily silent these days when you go diving and listen for the old creaks, croaks, and grunts of underwater life. One day soon, we will be talking of the days when you could actually catch a fish out there on rod and line. Shucks, now I went and put myself into a grumpy mood...thanks a lot, Jorge!;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:59 AM

Pompano.

A better mood, we seen more then most and certainly more then anything to come..

Can't take our memories!!!!

Feel for my kids/grandkids, will never re-generate to what we had.

Have a good day, look at some of your old photos, I do, a lot! George

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 10:19 AM
Amen, Capt. George----you sure got that right!!!

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 03:25 PM

Hey Pompano...
Pretty sure the photo is a Giant Black sea bass....giant!!! With a tow truck!Classic!!!

Also, was this thread about turtles being siezed or totuaba??
meso confused...THought the totuaba were finished??

TT

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.