Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Todos Santos Roosterfish
Denver
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rollin'

eureka.gif posted on 2-8-2006 at 07:19 PM
Todos Santos Roosterfish

I've just finished reading 2 books on fishing in Baja: Baja On The Fly, by Nick Curcione and Angling Baja by Scott Sadil- both excellent reading. Baja On The Fly is more of a how to book with photos and description of tactics to use for each species. Angling Baja is a great selection of short stories which take place over several years of the authors life. The stories are so good the can be read by those who aren't interested in fishing- just life in Baja.

After reading both books, I'm convinced of what Sadil refers to as "the possibility of the extraordinary" in Baja waters. There is an abundance of fish in-shore, off-shore, and in the surf on both costs and in Los Cabos. Roosterfish are in abundance in the corridor in summer and on the east cape too so there must be Roosterfish in the Pacific waters around Todos Santos.

It seems that maybe no one is talking (or maybe they are keeping it on the down low) about decent in-shore fishing around the cliffs south of TS or along the beaches. Can anyone who has fished from the beach or from a panga close to shore in this area confirm or deny the presence of Roosterfish in the area?

Looking for Bubba.

The Declaration of Independence only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 07:24 PM

Punta Lobo is where I saw one or two last summer.

Awesome fish.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 07:31 PM

Denver,
I have been fishing there for two years and have not caught squat! Some people have and the pangas at Punta Lobos catch daily so I buy from then 50 pasos per fish. To date of the several 15 -20 I have not seen a rooster. I know they fish deeper water and roosters like shore, but seems I should have seen one by now. If I see one in April I will let you know.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 07:38 PM

Good pargo fishing from the beach, at night...rebels, red fins etc.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Denver
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rollin'

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 08:27 PM
50 peso pescado

Al G,

What type of fish do you get for 50 pesos? Do those pangueros take gringos out or are they fishing for table meat?

The Declaration of Independence only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 06:46 AM
Baja Fishing Books

I don't know Nick Curcione personally but have spoken to him at the shows on a number of occasions. One of the things that doesn't come through in his articles is what a greater speaker he is. He's a very engaging and enthusiastic speaker and is usually one of my favorites at every show I attend... no matter what he decides to talk about. I'm not a big fan of Curcione's books, however. They're basic and boring for the most part.

That little paperback by Scott Sadil is perhaps my favorite collection of fishing stories on baja. No, there is little to be learned from them. They're just good literature on a subject I enjoy. I've reread them all many times. IMHO there are too many 'how to' books on fishing and not enough like Sadil's.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 08:18 AM
Restaurant Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Denver
Al G,

What type of fish do you get for 50 pesos? Do those pangueros take gringos out or are they fishing for table meat?

Most of the catch go to the buyer for restaurant tables.
You can buy any fish including shark and they bring in lobster, and crab. I buy fish in the 5 lb range and pay their wish price. I do not bargain with soles of the sea.
I have heard they are taking gringos out, but I think it was on this board.
Albert

[Edited on 2-11-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 09:43 AM
Roosterfish..look close to shore

Todos Santos...I have heard it is okay for roosters. I know the Cape ist vunderbar!! But we have our share near Mulege, too.

Roosterfish are most common in shallow water...lots of times in 2-3 feet just off my seawall in Coyote Bay. In the early spring..April and May...I keep 2 spinning rods with silver 4oz crocodile spoons attached to pitch to the roosters who ball up the lisas and mullet in close to shore. When those spiked sails are slicing through the schools of baitfish it is mass confusion scrambling down the seawall, grabbing rods and casting to the roosters. All hell breaks loose then!

Roca Frijoles is another good bet here in BOC. We have been in the middle of hundreds of roosters and large red snapper chewing up the bait and anything you could quickly toss into the water. Boiling roosters and reds....an exciting time!

Trolling mirrolures along the outside peninsula is also good. South of the mine towards Pta. Rosa.

The whole bay next to Pta. Chivato Hotel was once good for roosters. We used to sit on the hotel patio having cold ones and waiting for the roosters to start chasing the bait in close to shore. Then off we would run to our poles stuck in the sand spike holders. What fun that was...but that was when the place was owned and operated by Bill Alvarado. Not so much fun anymore...Ciao, Pta. Chivato...if you know what I mean.

[Edited on 2-11-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 01:36 PM
East Cape, deep water

in mid-November '05 is where my husband caught this RoosterFish. The pescadero said is was grande', but he may have just been saying that to get a bigger propina. :lol: We don't know!
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 01:37 PM
sorry - here's the photo

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.