Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bahia Santa Maria?
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 12:54 PM
Bahia Santa Maria?

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in this area about 34km south of San Felipe? I recently acquired a little place there on the beach and noticed the last few days a couple of pangas not to far off shore...I plan on launching a zodiac and motoring over to the points north and south...any info would be much appreciated:yes::yes:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 05:20 PM
There is a reef south of you

at El Coloradito that used to have fish. But who can say with inshore gill nets still rather prevalent.

Of course, south of Puertecitos is the Golden Reef and the Islas Encantadas.

I guess there are still a few small croakers and corvina caught around Pta. Estrella, north of you.

I never caught anything off the beach in the area just north of you that some now call Shell Beach.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 06:51 PM

I have been calling it Shell Island since 1977... Note the long narrow barrier island going north from Bahia Santa Maria in this photo of Punta Estrealla to El Vergel...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I have been calling it Shell Island since 1977...

That's great, David, but that doesn't mean that's the official name....or even a correct name. :rolleyes:

Continue to use the term Shell Island, if you choose........but it's not even an island about 90% of the time.:?:

It probably is most correctly part of the Laguna Percebu complex, geographically and tidally speaking.

I hope this doesn't offend your attempts at being crowned the modern day Howard Gulick.

Now, what does your reply have to do with answering the man's question? Nothing, as usual, in this area. Just more attempts at self-anointing.

It REALLY is getting old to many more of us than you realize. I am just willing to face the chastising from your clubby friends and tell you this, in hopes that you will someday change. Hasn't happened yet in the life of two websites......

Stick to posting in areas where you have knowledge. Quality trumps quantity.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 06:30 PM

I have not fished north of Campo Coloradito and here at Campo Palaya Cristina at KM 54 S the gill netters have hammered all the reefs here and south of here on every tide for the past 5 weeks. 4 gills nets here the past 3 days took out about 400LB of fish (various kinds) but all of them where very small, most being 6" long up to a pound at best.

They also at low tide spray bleach under every rock taking every octopus of every size, most 6" or less.

When you take the number of gill netters just in San Felipe alone working nearly every beach from town to Puertocitos on every series of extra low tides and taking every fish regardless of size you don't have any breeding stock left.

I realize that they have to make a living but wonder what they will do when the gulf is completly barren? There have been 35 shrimp boats draging within sight of my camp for 4 1/2 months now, I find it hard to beleive there is going to be any left.

The first fair fishing you will encounter with your rig or from the beach will be South of Puertocitos where the rocks and deep water prevent gill nets being set from the beach, there are still some set by boat.

Any of the deep rocky spots are productive all the way to Nachos Campo, on of my favorites is off the end of the beach at Volcan Prieto, locally know as Black Mt. Take a gravel road east to the beach from the mine north of Puertocitos, at the beach go south to the end of the good road to a small mangrove swamp, good camping area and if you stay off of the cobble beach stones on the hard road it is easy access.

There are lots of other roads and trails down to the water all along the stretch through the Cuestas.

Of course you can drive 200 miles south to Las Animas and catch Yellowtail from the beach at times.

Good Luck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2006 at 07:08 PM

"Stick to posting in areas where you have knowledge."

Gee Hook... I kind of figure going and camping there for 30 years gives me a bit of knowledge...:rolleyes:

I simply added that bit of info (my calling it Shell island) so if ANYONE wants to see it, I have LOT'S of photos... under the heading 'Shell Island'. Geeze!

Didn't you like the satellite image?:?:

There was an attempt to make a camp there and it was called ISLA SAN MARTIN (isla means island)... The place has lots of shells... other gringos have called it Shell Beach... I just find that name unromantic and not totally accurate... also there already is a Shell Beach, in Baja... at Punta Chivato.

Capt. Mike's giant Baja map clearly shows it as an island...

I don't care what you want to call it... That is what I call it, nothing more implied... I also did not put that name on MY maps of the area... nothing official attempted.

So, cheer up... have a beer... don't be so quick to assume I have some egotistic intentions... I don't.

Also, Howard Gulick was a much greater Baja expert and map maker than I could ever dream of becoming.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2006 at 10:50 AM

David, the guy was asking about fishing........not your name of an island. Did you conveniently forget that you're on the fishing board? Mac and the rest of us seem to remember.

Your reply was classic YOU. Irrelevant replies, just to get your name out there and to increase your number of posts. How can ANYONE conclude differently? You do it at every turn. You say no ego is involved, but your actions say different.

Stick to your areas of expertise. You are the unchallenged master of minutia on offroad travels in northern Baja. I commend you on that. Someday I hope to be able to use much of your info in short little jaunts south. Your help at organizing the La Vibora grade run at the El Rosario was much appreciated.

But when it comes to boating and fishing; THINK before you post. Ask yourself this question......is my reply answering the question posed?

Peace.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 09:26 AM

A thread often brings up sub-converstaions or splinter threads... It happens often in threads I begin... the subject can go way into left field, and I never get upset... It is a public forum.

I am not mearly posting to add to my number... I don't care how many posts I have, it is irrelavant...

I like talking/ writing 'Baja'... I was responding to your reply not eetdrt's question anyway...

You said Shell Beach, so I was letting eetdrt and all others know the Shell Beach YOU were talking about was NOT the one at Punta Chivato...

So, I posted a satellite image and the name I use for that barrier island north of Bahia Santa Maria... to clarify... as most Nomads have heard or seen photos of a place we mostly call Shell Island, here.

Peace to you too amigo!;D

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 12:32 PM
You're right, David.

I misspoke on calling the island Shell Beach. I meant Shell Island.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Of course! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Now, don't YOU get him started, too. It just increases his "point total" :lol:
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 2-16-2006 at 02:01 PM
Old Dave

obviously has to much time on his hands,maybe a job would help!
Everytime he gets down here in the fishin section
he puts his foot in it.:lol:
BAITCAST
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

Now, don't YOU get him started, too. It just increases his "point total" :lol:

Well, we could debate what kind of points those add up to, but maybe it's better we just not go there! :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
obviously has to much time on his hands,maybe a job would help!
Everytime he gets down here in the fishin section
he puts his foot in it.:lol:
BAITCAST

Well.......... I really didn't pay attention to what forum this stuff on Bahia Santa Maria was in, as I just hit 'Today's Posts' when I read Nomad... There are many Bahia Santa Marias in Baja... I am very familiar with this one, having been there BEFORE it was given that name by Aniceto Madue?o about 1970.

I have 'a job', thank you.,.. actually, I am 'the boss', so if I want to read/yack on Baja Nomad after 8 am, I am quite proud that I have worked so hard building up my business that I can enjoy the finer things in life which (to me) include Baja Nomad! I don't even know when I was in the fishin' section, but if I put 'my foot in it' before... it was perhaps only to try and catch up to YOU!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::tumble::tumble::spingrin::spingrin::yes::yes:

BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 11:24 PM

David can you Drive all the way to shell island on the beach from

Punta estrella?

Shell island sounds great to me and I was born in Baja so I think being a

mexican citizen I can vote to give it the official name of Shell island:bounce:

Congradulations:yes:Mr K

And I apreciate all your info because you always give great detail on

everything.

We should have a rule here no put downs on are fellow nomads.

Be cool Dude.., Relax...:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 09:05 AM

Buenos dias BOLABOUND....

The north point of 'Shell Island' is across from Rancho/Laguna Percebu... You can drive from Percebu to Punta Estrella on the beach, or at least we used to quite often before they paved the road south of San Felipe.

Now, to get from Percebu onto Shell Island you go along the shore of the lagoon for a mile, then cut inland a bit onto the salt flats/ tidal mud flats for another 2 miles (unless it is a high lunar tide, then forget it). At 3 miles from Percebu, you come to a cross road... right goes to Hwy. 5 at Km. 26 and left goes onto Shell Island (if the tide is not too high)...

This access road was once an elevated causeway with a bridge at the island end, built in 1984. It has mostly eroded away and the bridge is useless since the roadbed is a couple feet lower than the concrete! See photo of Surfer Jim on bridge...

After high tide this area around the bridge is pretty muddy and will test your 4WD... after which the deep sand will.

The salt flat road continues south to Bahia Santa Maria where you can again get onto the beach and continue towards Puertecitos.

Looking north... low tide.

Oh, and we have fished the beach here! Catching corbina, croaker (both excellent eating), along with sand sharks and other toss backs... :saint:

BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 09:52 AM

Muchas gracis David .

I love the pictures always very helpful and much more vivid to see it.

Thanks!:)
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 01:54 PM
hey David...

no worries on going off-topic on my thread,i'm not to worried about things like that...i'm a junkie for all knowledge of Baja and as your posts often enlighten me with new info on areas I love all I can say is...keep up the good work buddy:coolup::coolup:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 02:49 PM
As a Geographer------

-------and after seeing that long sandbar in David's aerial photo, I can say without reservation that what I am looking at is a "barrier island"------that is the technical geographical term. It does not have to be totally surrounded by water to be classified as a "barrier island". Many of the "barrier islands" along the SE USA coast are very similar to this Baja island.

When responding to the posts on the "todays posts" forum, it is impossible to tell what specialty forums they came from, or so it seems to me.

I welcome ANY posts that have to do with increasing our understanding of Baja, or the folks that visit it, or live there------I believe that David's post always meet this criteria--------I have never been annoyed by any of David's posts.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 04:27 PM

Thanks guys!

I am ready to write my latest trip report from last weekend... Look at the Trip Reports Forum later on...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.