Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-15-2006 at 02:08 PM
El Taste in Loreto

Great steaks and margaritas!
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 04:04 PM

HUGE rib eyes and T-bones.

But the prices keep going up, I think to 220 pesos now, so we eat there less and less.

It used to be an open outdoor restaurant. Enclosing it may have made it more comfortable in hot or cold weather, but it lost atmosphere and the acoustics are poor now.

They have a really good waiter there.

Good alternatives for steak are El Nido and Pachamama.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 04:07 PM

We had a bill dispute there that turned me against the place. Long enough ago that I should probably forget it.
I love Pachumama and El Nido, though.

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 02:56 PM

Judy, where's the Pachumama? My daughter and I had a dinner reservation last weekend for a restaurant of that name in San Francisco--didn't make it because a Chinese New Year parade made getting anywhere impossible. We understood that Pachumama is Bolivian--is this true?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 06:27 PM

Pachimama is on Zapata street. From the Pemex at Juarez and Zapata, cross the street and walk south just over a block. It is on the right side of the street, and is low key-- no big sign, but you'll see it. It is Argentine, and everything they fix is good.
Don't overlook Cafe Ole in Loreto, right downtown, cheap, good breakfast, mexican, and sandwiches. No bar-- just beer, etc. Tourists, local gringos and Mexicans all eat there.
So many good places to eat here-- hard to stop at 3 meals a day!!:biggrin::tumble::bounce:
(tumble and bounce off the calories)
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 06:32 PM

Is Tiffany's Pizza still in business?

++Ken++
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 08:40 PM

I think so, Ken, but I haven't eaten there. Hear it's the best around, but I don't eat much pizza down here.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-16-2006 at 09:00 PM

Thanks Paula. Denise (the owner) is an old friend. "Tiffany" is her daughter. The pizza really is (was) good!! ;D

++Ken++
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 08:55 AM

i dont know if tiffanys is still operation but she used to make a apple pie to die for it was hugh after baking it was a good 4 inches thick

i dont know what all the hooply is about at pachimama four of us had dinner there about a month ago and it was unanamous non of us will be returning i was their a yr ago when it was in the square ??and i thought it was good just my opinion
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 09:08 AM

Tiffany's pizza is no longer in business. Denise sold the ovens and is now running Loreto realty out of the same building... I miss the pizza.

I agree with Jerry on pachumamas, small servings, and overpriced. We wont be going back.

I do like "Mita" nice location and the most diverse menu in Loreto.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 09:41 AM

Where is Mita and what kind of food?

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 12:20 PM

Mita's is at the old Panchymamas location. Agree with Jerry and Dan . Ate there several times and was not impressed.(Mamas that is.). Mitas is nice and very friendly service.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 01:40 PM

OK, first of all I should put everyone on notice that, in general, I am a culinary barbarian. A philistine, a clod, whatever. Most epicurian delights, well, I won't even try. My tatses are so bad that I almost reviewed the La Paz Burger King. Yes I ate there, months and months without a good ol' 'merican junk food fix was driving me bonkers.

But I do know steaks. Yum.

And as steaks go in Loreto, the bife de chorizo (New York steak) at Pachamama may be the tastiest steak in Loreto. I also like the staff and owners. Oh, and as you may have figured out I like French Fries, and Pachamama makes great fries, maybe better than Cafe Ole.

As for the quality of the non-beef items, my generally discerning wife likes them but I'll have to let her post, because like I say I am clueless.:D

Now, there is another restaurant in town that gets mentioned here. The owners are friends of friends...we'd really like to like it, but they've really struck out big-time the last two trips there. We plan to give them another shot but keep putting it off. Maybe this weekend...
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-17-2006 at 02:07 PM
Yup! Mitas

I've enjoyed more excellent quality, well prepared, nicely serviced meals at Mitas than anywhere else in Loreto. Juan Carlos, owner is very cordial and remembers his customers. Living a block from the square, I'm glad Mitas is where it is! The chicken parmesian is to die for.... the shrimps alexander is also a favorite. Always nice fresh fish selections too.

I ate at Nido's, last trip also, and it too was excellent. I had the herbed chicken breast BBQ.... Yum! Domingo is a very friendly and good business man too. A longer walk from mi poco casita, but well worth it.

And of course Ole is like going to grama's house for lunch! I love it too...

Hmmmm.... I guess I love to eat good food!

LAST year, we couldn't get the Tiffany's folks to actually make us a pizza.... Though I had a few nice chats with extended family visitors there!

My wife (raised in Taiwan, THE land of food!!!) used to think she "didn't like Mexican food"..... HAH! That became ancient history after eating around in Loreto. :tumble:

The Scalapino boyz want her to open an asian cafe in Loreto! So.... I'm thinking.... yeah.... maybe.... but we'll call it the "Two Table Cafe".... one table for me, one for customer(s), great asian to go... and open 3 hours (or less) a day, winters only.... (Guess you can tell I'd rather frequent restraunts than own one!!)

Bon Apetit, mes amis!!

(Je pense que mon Francais est tres plus de mon Espanol... Ahhh.... c'est la vie...)

djh & Shing.

[Edited on 2-17-2006 by djh]

[Edited on 2-17-2006 by djh]

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.