BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What licenses are needed?
Goldminer10

[*] posted on 3-17-2006 at 09:08 PM
What licenses are needed?

I will be heading to San Louis Gonzaga next week I have a 12 alum. boat,4 hp motor. I will go through San Felipe. What licenses will I need? Thanks for the help.....Richard

Things I like
People Traval Fishing gold mining
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-17-2006 at 11:24 PM
Whistler--------

You need a "boat permit" for a 12 foot car top alum. boat????

If that is so, I sure have been breaking the law for years and years, out of total ignorance.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
You need a "boat permit" for a 12 foot car top alum. boat????

If that is so, I sure have been breaking the law for years and years, out of total ignorance.

If you fish from it, you need a boat fishing permit. I have one for my fishing kayak.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 09:42 AM
Don Alley----

You say a "boat fishing permit". Is this the same as the "fishing permit" that I usually get?? I was always under the impression that my little Gregor car-top boat did not need a specific "boat permit" to be used in Baja. Am I wrong here??

I know that I personally need a "fishing permit", and all in my boat need one too, if anybody is fishing, or has fishing equipment. Right?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 09:46 AM

A boat fishing permit = a boat permit

They called my boat permit a boat fishing license at the fishing license office in Santa Rosalia last month.

I think it's in the translation.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 09:54 AM
Bob & Susan----

So when I get my "fishing permit", that is different than what you are talking about. Is there one type of "fishing permit" for fishing from the beach, and another for fishing from a boat?

Sorry to be so dumb about this, but I want to get it straight.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 10:08 AM

beach fishing does not require a license....

the boat does and everyone on the boat regardless of age.

our website is:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 10:16 AM
Bob Y Susan-----

Ok, bare with me now---------if I take a small car-top boat to Mexico, but plan to do NO fishing, and there will be NO fishing gear in the boat, then I DO NOT need a permit for my boat-----right??

And does that hold true if I am snorkeling off the boat, with no gear for the "taking of fish"?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 10:22 AM

no license needed for the boat or boat riders

our website is:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
You say a "boat fishing permit". Is this the same as the "fishing permit" that I usually get?? I was always under the impression that my little Gregor car-top boat did not need a specific "boat permit" to be used in Baja. Am I wrong here??

I know that I personally need a "fishing permit", and all in my boat need one too, if anybody is fishing, or has fishing equipment. Right?

OK, you need a fishing license to fish. Technically you do not need one if you fish from the shore.

In a boat, everyone on a boat with fishing gear needs a license.

A boat with fishing gear needs a permit or license for the boat, as well as licenses for the people on board. You get it at the same place. You may need the boat's registration to get the boat license, but for my unregistered kayak they had me sign a statement that it was mine and not registered.

Confusing enough? There is a third kind of Mexican fishing license/permit. To fish Mexican waters from a US sportfishing party boat out of San Diego, you need a Mexican license, included with the ticket price and good only for that trip. Your regular Mexican fishing license is no good for those trips.

Finally...at some locations local officials have claimed that yearly Mexican fishing licenses purchased elsewhere are not valid in their area, that one must purchase a local version. That's wrong, but being wrong doesn't mean they can't get away with it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:35 PM

"..at some locations local officials have claimed that yearly Mexican fishing licenses purchased elsewhere are not valid in their area, that one must purchase a local version."

no... that wasn't it...it was without a temporary import permit the boat fishing license was no good.

Anything over 14 feet needs a temporary import permit..$50 USA andis good for ten years.

our website is:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:49 PM
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the input, but I got to tell you that I do not feel as dumb as I did------as confusing as all this is, it is no wonder that I did not know/remember all this stuff.

It was more fun in Baja when all these wild "permits" were not necessary (or I did not know about them)-----guess I am getting cranky!!!

Lake Powell, Lake Mead, and Shasta Lake are looking more and more like my kind of destination. :lol:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:51 PM

If it floats and you are trying to take fish from the ocean from it (either from the surface or by diving), it needs a "boat permit", regardless of the size.

And everyone on board that floating platform has to have a "fishing license", even if they are not fishing.

If it floats, is under 14 ft and you do NOT use it for fishing, then it doesn't need a boat permit. However, if the officials find so much as a stray sinker or hook on board, you will be fined and possibly have the boat confiscated.

Check out my "Border FAQ" page on my website for more info.

Oh, and thanks Don; for reminding me about the one-trip licenses and the problem with local enforcement/permits. I'll have to add that to my website.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
"..at some locations local officials have claimed that yearly Mexican fishing licenses purchased elsewhere are not valid in their area, that one must purchase a local version."

no... that wasn't it...it was without a temporary import permit the boat fishing license was no good.

Anything over 14 feet needs a temporary import permit..$50 USA andis good for ten years.

We're on a different page here.;D

There were problems with "local license needed" a while back at Cabo San Lucas, and somewhere on the mainland too, I think. A scam.

Yeah, but add the new temporary import permit to the mix. :lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 03:16 PM

i'm pertty sure in Loreto you pay a daily area fee....protected fishing area

our website is:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 05:17 PM

Yeah, protected fishing zones and "local" permits. That's a whole nother ball of worms. Best bet, get a fishing license, boat license, and if your boat needs it (over 14'), a Temporay Import Permit. Then ask the locals if you need something more.

Remember, in Mexico it's what the local officials say you need that counts. :D

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:

I think this is something we will be seeing here in Mulege soon. and probably many more places.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 06:20 PM

Quote:

Non-residents need to purchase a 20 peso per day wristband. Currently I've only seen that enforced for people going ashore on the islands. If you use a guide service, it is their responsibility to see that you have the band.

The co-op is giving wristbands to those going on the Coronado Island trips, but I can't recall seeing visiting fishermen on Arturo or other pangas boats with the wristbands.

The park does nothing for sportfishing, imo, so I don't think taxing the sportfishers would be very popular.
Goldminer10

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 08:37 PM

Thanks to everyone for the information. At least I have an idea of what to expect when I look for permits/licenses in San Felipe. Now let see if I have right!!!A Mexican fishing license is needed if I fish from any boat but not from the shore line. Some time it is $2.00 a day and some time it is what the local offical wants. f Now if my lady is with me she will need a fishing liceense even if not fishing. My boat is 12 foot so I don't need a $50 import license or do I? Now if my lady wants to sun bath does she need a topless permit or sun bathing permit. Oh well thanks for all the help. Richard
Goldminer10 in Cibola,Az.:yes:

Things I like
People Traval Fishing gold mining
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 08:44 PM

Yep, you've got it right. And when you are in San Felipe go to Georges for a shrimp omlette and your camping permit.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.