BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's up with Campo Gecko?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 09:24 PM
What's up with Campo Gecko?

It's been a long time since I saw a report from Doc at Camp Gecko and his web site seems to be perpertually down.

Anyone know what's going on?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 10:18 PM

Our guys are there right now- cabin 6.
Sent an email from Doc's two days ago.
Said Doc was there and talked about his new home in TJ.
Doc has been renovating, sounds like good progress.
The guys indicated things are good at Gecko!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 06:46 AM

things are changing at gecko, doc is getting out of the daily camping thing and going more permanant lodging. a few of the front cabins have been leased out and me and a bunch of friends have the back area with the traillers and pallapas. things have been mellow there the last few trips. allso i believe the rest of the cabins are on a first come first serve basis.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:59 AM

I have spoken to Doc recently and I was told exactly that. The cabins are on a first come fiirst serve basis. I guess if you are planning a trip to Gecko you better pack tents in case you don't get a cabin. :?:

:light:Wishful thinking: Again it would be nice if there was some kind of live posting from Doc just as his fishing reports about the vacancies. This would sure help for those of us traveling from a long distance. :light:

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:21 AM
I had heard about the renting changes.....

.....but when was the last time you guys saw a public fishing report from him?

Did he ever replace Gecko III or whatever the termite ridden boat was? If not, maybe that's why his fishing reports are fewer.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 12:58 PM

Doc has replaced his boat. He has updated his website today. He also said that there is no more camping at La Gringa. It is fenced off and there is a guard watching over the area:fire:. More shrinking of open, water front camping in Baja.:no:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
.. and his web site seems to be perpertually down ...

His website is NOT perpetually down, in fact it's almost always up (I make sure of that) :fire:

As far as I understand it, he is not taking reservations any longer, so email may go unanswered.

He spends a lot of time in TJ, and he doesn't take people out in the winter, and for that reason does not often update the fishing report if he doesn't have firsthand information. Not sure if he'll get the new boat in the water come June or so.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 01:24 PM
So, is Daggett's the place to camp now------

-------if you want some amenities???
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 02:16 PM

Well, Roberto, it was down two days ago, down two weeks before that and down when I last checked it a month and a half ago.

I guess I am just unlucky. :(

Glad to see that he has a new report.

Disappointing about La Gringa. I though there was a fair stretch of federal land out there. Is the guard preventing access to that as well?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 02:45 PM
Oooooooops------I read "David A.'s" post wrong----

-------and the news is even worse than I thought. NO MORE CAMPING AT LA GRINGA??????

I bet I have camped at La Gringa 25 times, over the years, and certainly where I would have camped in the future. This is very disturbing news----and depressing!!

Baja, she is a-changing!!!!!! Boy, am I glad that I got down there when I did.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 03:06 PM
That is depressing about La Gringa

Despite the wind, it really was the best place to camp in BOLA, not counting the islands.

Very sad.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 03:33 PM
Hook-------

------do know if we are just talking about the sandspit where the Fish Camp was for years, or does the "closure" include the entire beach on the east side of the little rocky hill, which includes the "spit"??? (there was a pretty nice Mexican house at the base of the hill, on the east side)

We camped many times west of the actual "spit", but east of the rocky hill with the Mexican house at the base. There was a row of dunes just east of the hill and the house, but before the spit, and it had some great sites for camping. Is that also closed, or do you know?

We also camped on the beach WEST of the rocky hill, and in front of the little tidal basin---------is that still available for camping?
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 04:30 PM

Re La Gringa - there is a fence around the place but you can still pass to the gravel berm through an intentional opening. The western portion - the dirt part with the small knolls) is apparently still open to the public. We went there a few days back, passed through the opening in the fence and sat on the stones collecting tiny shells for 2 hours and were not approached. There was no guard although there is a fish hut (Roberto, etc.) about 500 meters from the fence. This info is based on recent personal experience. In trying to determine the intentions of the fence or the (implied) new owner I will report information as it becomes available.

Re Camp Gecko the only change for the time being is that reservations are no longer taken and it's on a first-come, first served basis. Gecko's has always been our first choice and if it happens (on rare occasions) to fill to capacity there are always other campgrounds in the bay. Come on down! Learning to live with the loss of complete predictability is one way I can improve.

Re Doc and Camp Gecko -
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
------do know if we are just talking about the sandspit where the Fish Camp was for years, or does the "closure" include the entire beach on the east side of the little rocky hill, which includes the "spit"??? (there was a pretty nice Mexican house at the base of the hill, on the east side)

We camped many times west of the actual "spit", but east of the rocky hill with the Mexican house at the base. There was a row of dunes just east of the hill and the house, but before the spit, and it had some great sites for camping. Is that also closed, or do you know? We also camped on the beach WEST of the rocky hill, and in front of the little tidal basin---------is that still available for camping?

I dont know, Barry. Mike is gonna be the best source of info, at this point. Believe he's down there full-time now.

Mike, post anything you find out, as you find it out. I imagine there are many trips planned by Nomads with the weather warming.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:35 PM

I am finally reading Mike's book now and really enjoying it... Photo of La Gringa is on the cover...

Camp Gecko's web site link is http://campgecko.com

[Edited on 4-4-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:22 PM

I just finished Mikes book and can strongly recommend it!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 02:29 PM

Mike...when are you going to put it on tape so the drivers can "listen" er "read" your book?:saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.