BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8
Author: Subject: A Recommended Tire for My Use... See what I decided on... (11-08 update)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

puzzled.gif posted on 4-14-2006 at 07:32 PM
A Recommended Tire for My Use... See what I decided on... (11-08 update)

My use (as most) is mostly daily street and highway driving...

Size: 265/70 X 16"

1) Quiet running is desired.

My primary 4WD use is in deep sand (beaches and arroyos) followed by steep grade climbing, mud and snow would be the least often 4WD use, but needed.

For sand, a rounded sidewall is prefered for better floatation as opposed to the stiff, square edge sidewall of BFG All Terrain T/As. I have seen too many sidewall holes in All Terrains to buy into their 3 ply sidewall advantage talk.

My favorite 4WD tires were the Armstrong Tru Tracs sold by Dick Cepek over 20 years ago.

2) Good sand floatation along with some mud/snow and climbing traction is desired.

3) Decent milage (tread wear) would be nice.

My Toyota Tacoma has BFG Rugged Trail T/As, but as with my previous TRD Tacoma, they do not get over 30,000 miles... I now have about 24,000 miles on them and the tread is getting shallow.

When my last Tacoma wore out the second set of BFGs at 60, 000 miles, I changed to Futura Dakota tires (made by Cooper and sold through Pep Boys) and was very happy with them (low, low price of $85 and 50,000 mile warantee). At 25-30,000 miles when they needed replacing, new ones were only about half the price ($45).

3) Easy to swallow price... specially if they only last 30K miles.
The popular All Terrains are about $165 each, however they seem to last longer according to those who have them.

4) Not made by a French or communist owned company... That eliminates BFG and their parent company, Michelin. I would prefer an American or Japanese company. Now, this is not a major issue, just a minor one. If the arguement for a French tire is strong enough, I will consider it.

What I am looking at:

1) Dick Cepek Radial F-C II (in magazines, but who stocks these?)

2) Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial

WHAT SAY YOU ???

My fall back choice is Cooper/ Futura Dakotas, again...

[Edited on 11-24-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-14-2006 at 08:07 PM

4) Not made by a French or communist owned company

this should be #1

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 05:27 AM

Not another tire thread... go with the BFG A/T To's and you can't go wrong.

Are you saying you already need new tires on your new truck? What?
Bob H

[Edited on 4-15-2006 by Bob H]
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 4-15-2006 at 07:53 AM
20 Straight Wins....

Sorry for the low resolution..but 50K:mad:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 07:57 AM

We have BFG A/T on all 4 of our vehicles, and never had a flat. (I am knocking on wood at this moment:biggrin: )
They are loud on the highway, I think, but nothing that Sirius Radio cant block out.
Go with the pros(off roaders that is)

[Edited on 4-15-2006 by bajajudy]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:51 AM

If your happy with the Cooper tires stay with them. I prefer BFG. Have never had a sidewall failure but have had flats when the tread was less than 1/3 so I change them sooner. I've got 33,000 on my Z71 and the tread appears to be about 5/8 or more of a new tire. It came with Bridgestone passenger car tires but any water on the road and the rear end would break loose in a sec. I didn't like that so I keep the BFGs on. Noise is not a problem for me as I'm a little hard of hearing and the radio level goes up automatically as the speed does.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 11:18 AM

Thanks amigos, let's put the all mighty All Terrain T/As to rest for now... as I said, I want a rounded sidewall (I seen how poorly they work on Shell Island, and to please Bruce :yes: something other than a Michelin product if possible.

Here is one of my possible tire choices:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 11:22 AM

Problem is nobody has these in stock... According to their web sites, both should be available at Big O Tires (one near me)... But yetsreday, Big O said they only deal with Mickey Thompson and not Dick Cepek...?

Any opinions on the Pirelli Scorpions?

[Edited on 4-21-2006 by David K]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 09:13 PM

Just my two cents, I've had my Tacoma with factory installed Bridgestone's now for about 6 months with two flats...one nail and one razor blade. Previously, I had a Toyota p/u with BFG Mud tires (over 185k on a few sets of tires) with no flats. Hmmm....coincidence...I was a lot more confindent drive the BFGs....I can't wait until these tires wear down so I can switch back to BFG.

BTW, DK, never had a problem driving on sand.

Zac

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by Bajaboy]

Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-15-2006 at 10:06 PM

I have Toyos MT's load range E. So far Im really happy with them, I checked the sidewall thickness of the BFG and others the Toyo's were thicker.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 09:18 AM

David K,

Don't fall for the false advertisements. The truth is, those "Baja Champions" do not race the thin-sidewalled All-Terrains or Mud-Terrains very often. They run the more expensive and better built tires seen in this photo.

My experience with BFGoodrich tires has been more akin to this photo where we had to change out the BFG tire in the desert with power tools in hand.

If it were me, I'd try the Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires you mentioned for their available traction and better sidewall strength. Either America's Tire/Discount Tire or 4 Wheel Parts should stock these. Big O will most likely try to sell you some Kelly tires which also have paper-thin sidewalls - from what I have SEEN in the past.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:22 AM

Ken: Big O didn't try to sell me anything, was very nice... said he could get Mickey Thompsons... Mentioned Nitto (sp?)... Isn't that one of the brands you had on the Jeep?

Discount Tires and Pacific Tires are listed as dealers too.

Zac: I remember you telling me how happy you were with Mud Terrain T/As... Cooper (Futura) makes the same style tire as well. My concern is highway noise with those... Do I need to play Van Halen at max volume to cover up the tire humm??

Thanks for responding Frank... Where did you get the Toyos?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken: Big O Mentioned Nitto (sp?)... Isn't that one of the brands you had on the Jeep?

I haven't run Nitto's on my Jeep. So far, LT245x16 Goodyear MT/Rs (7,600 mi.), 33" TrXus MTs (36,000 mi.), BFG ATs (~1,800 mi.), and BFG MTs (~2,400 mi.). I now run the TrXus MTs again - made proudly in Mexico.
It says so on the sidewall. :P

BTW, if you buy a set of BFG MT/KMs, don't forget a bottle of Advil to go with the headache from the high-pitched whine you'll hear at 60 m.p.h.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 11:12 AM

I'm on my 5th set of BFG T/A 31X10.5 on two Tacomas. I like to keep some tread on the road and the rocks sure eat it up. But, then again, that represents lots of Baja milage. Just got a new 2006 4Runner 4X4 (kept the Tacoma 4X4 too). Tires are 265/70/16 and are Michelins as we bought it from Toyota. Sooo we'll wear these out carefully and plan to go back to BFG. I have run Coopers in Baja, but rolled the truck and didn't get a chance to really wear them out. David, let us know what you finally decide, and how it works out in the real world.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 11:18 AM

Okay, here's one more possibility...

Cooper Tires Discoverer STT

[Edited on 4-18-2006 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 11:21 AM

Thanks Jack...

I still have plenty of time to find my next tire and I appreciate everyone's input.

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 01:10 PM

Here's a link you might find useful-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.js...

A couple of months ago Cooper was listed and was rated quite high. I don't see it now and I don't have an explanation for the omission.

Seems to me I read something about a recent Cooper 'recall' but I'm not certain for which tire.

I use the BFG ATs (3-ply sidewalls and I like that)

I know that Hercules Tires is the distributor for M Thompsons and Cepeks, but I don't know who makes the tires.

BajaTaco purchased the Coopers a month or so ago, but he's out on a trail (SW AZ) this weekend.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Okay, here's one more possibility...

Cooper Tires Discoverer SST

DK-a friend of mine ran those on his Toyota and loved him. But, he was mainly wheeling in the Sierra's and thus was doing more rock-crawing than anything else. But, the price was right from what I recall.

Zac

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jack...

I still have plenty of time to find my next tire and I appreciate everyone's input.

David,

I saw that Mickey Thomson ATX today in a parking lot, and it looked like a perfect Baja All-Terrain. I'm not sure about the sidewalls, but because the tread extends into the sidewall, there looks to be plenty of footprint for use on the sand. And those "Sidebiter" lugs look more substantial than what BFGoodrich offers. It looks like a much better tire IMO.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2006 at 05:22 PM

Thanks again for the input...

Today I discovered a sidewall crack on my BFGs (and a nail)... No air loss, however... yet!

So, my desire for new tires has just increased... I called a Cooper tire dealer today and they have the Discoverer STT. I will go take a look to see in person...

I would like to see the Mickey Thompsons in person too... If anyone knows where in No. San Diego County they have the ATZ, please let me know...

[Edited on 4-18-2006 by David K]

Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.