Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mexico Proposes Decriminalizing Pot and Cocaine
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 12:58 PM
Mexico Proposes Decriminalizing Pot and Cocaine

Mexico proposes decriminalizing pot and cocaine
Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:49 PM ET

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Owning marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Congress.

Police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine, under a bill passed by senators late on Thursday and earlier approved by the lower house.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

The government says the measure allows police to focus on major drug dealers, and President Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday.

Hundreds of people including several police officers have been killed in the past year as drug cartels battle authorities and compete with each other for control of lucrative cocaine, marijuana and heroin smuggling routes from Mexico into the United States.

The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities like vacation resort Acapulco.

Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs, a source at the Senate's health commission told Reuters.

"The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.

Fifty-three senators voted for the bill with 26 votes against it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 02:29 PM
Oh, that is just wonderful-------

:fire:------so the prime problem of drug use, the user, now skates free and clear under this brilliant proposal. Now doesn't this make absolutely wonderful sense??? Shades of Holland!!!!

Last time I checked, folks, demand was driving the drug trade. So, by all means lets legalize the users (who are demanding the drugs) and that will solve the problem.

So only 26 folks in the Mexican governing body understand that "demand" is the real problem-------are there no economists among them, or advising them?

I submit that unless, and until, the "demand" for drugs is somehow curtailed (by whatever means that works) the "drug problem" will just get worse and worse. It is not an "either this or that" issue------ALL persons involved in the sale and use of "illegal" drugs should be prosecuted, period.

If you think that legalizing drugs is the answer, just check the deteriorating statistics in Amsterdam, etc. :fire:

Man sure has a hard time learning lessons, and controlling their "urges". What a mess----civilazation in action.

Now that I have ranted, this thread should probably be moved into the dreaded "Off Topic" forum.:yes:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 02:37 PM

I like the idea but not so much for meth or heroin. Peyote, mushrooms, and pot certainly aught to be legal to sell - at least legal to sell to tourists to be consumed on site in resorts. Sounds like it would add a new dynamic to a Baja vacation than the rather toxic standby tequila.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 02:46 PM

the thing is, if you listen to the mexican govt is that america is driving the demand for drugs. so therefore, why not legalize drugs in mexico? that way, their fine, hardworking citizens can profit as businessmen instead of tossing grenades in the streets of acapulco and setting up gaunlets in mexicali. DUH!!!:light:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 04:28 PM
Woody-----

----from the Mexican point of view I reluctantly see your point--------but that is not to say I agree with you, this time :tumble:

Lordy, what a problem-----glad I am "out of it" (retired)!!!! It was fun, tho, raiding Pot gardens on the Federal lands, and kicking arse and burning plants-----that part I miss.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 05:17 PM

And, it was reported on the news tonight (KFMB in San Diego) that Fox is prepared to sign the approval on this proposal and make it happen.... An evening at Hussongs in Ensenada should be interesting indeed! Oh, not to mention what will go on in TJ in Zona Rojo!
Bob H
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:00 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:02 PM

If this does go through, it will be the first time I've seen the Mexican government do ANYTHING.
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:30 PM
5 GRAMS of opium?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine, under a bill passed by senators late on Thursday and earlier approved by the lower house.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

I can't wait for 'Joe College' to get busted.

"But I only had 5 grams!"

Rosarito cop:

"No, it's 5.1." :lol:

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 04:02 AM

Legalise Drugs in the States:
Take the Profit away;
Set up Medical Facilites for the Poor wretched Souls.
The Strong will survive, The weak will Die.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:39 AM

hasn't april fools passed?:o

ya gots to be kidding here............

well as my old grand dad said approaching 92, "moderation in all things and you can enjoy all life has to offer."

I couldn't agree more.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:46 AM
drugs

yes but dave, you could be assured you had under the legal amout in weight if you bought them at the pemex

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Want what you have
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Legalise Drugs in the States:
Take the Profit away;
Set up Medical Facilites for the Poor wretched Souls.
The Strong will survive, The weak will Die.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

That's one of the best things I've ever seen you post!!!!

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:56 AM
Now

Where will we send our kids or grandkids to keep them away from drugs and teach them the natural beauties of life--.

Just kidding but do any of you remember how the British/french/ and Germans 'conquered' much of China and kept them in tow for many years---Opium !!!!.

Skeet--unfortunately, they don't die the 'American' government, when they get here, will give them $635.00 a month for life because they are 'disabled'. I know a story about a guy who posts here who used to get so angry because he had to return to the States every month to get his check--Now he just hits an ATM. (no, no names)

Perhaps, they believe that their 'ctiizens' are far too poor to buy this stuff---or they are seeking first world status on the cheap!

Ever look the window washers in the eye as you cross the border--Or even the young Mexicans as you wander around Ensenada. Wander just a block or two away from the tourist areas and the cops who log on here will wish for their weapons--because they will 'see' for sure.

These clowns are becoming 'almost' as bad as our own.--A new world order is in order---Sadly it will start with a huge "D".

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:09 AM

The US big earlier effort at controlling drug use ended when they repealed Prohibition. Admitting they were lost on the controlling use of alcohol. It had increased the criminal groups 1000s of percent, without ending alcohol use. The present "War on Drugs" has only increased the criminal activity and put major drain on law enforcement activities as well as about breaking the country by it's cost. If they were legalixed and taxed, there might ba a little real control of them.

Now - I have never used illegal drigs - In over 72 years I have smoked 3 joints, so I'm really not a "burned out hippy" with these ideas.

The biggest reason for not legalizing and taxing & otherwise regulating the drug use is the giant agencies and departments which would not be needed (but think of the billions of dollars saved).

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:36 AM

Thank You for your words! Coming from you makes it a special Treat!!

Bernie when I was a young Campus Policeman at Fresno State College.
The Professors were then teaching to legalize Drugs, would take the Profit from the Growers, Dealers, and the Mafia. At that ime there was mostly Beer, Wine , and some Hard Liquor on Campus.
Later working South Central I observed the increase in the use of Drugs, in East LA also{1960} That was when Hollywood Blvd. only had one strip Joint-Candy Barr-.

In 1967, while hiking in the High Sierras I ran across the Group of
Sierra club Members, smoking Dope and Swimming in the Nude.
A short time later I tried a Joint of DOPE which caused a certain Limpness.!
I never went back as I enjoyed the Ladies much more.

DOPE is DOPE. Liquor is Liquor- I have been , in the Past very close to going over the Line while setting on Tio"s porch after a Hard day of fishing and a half case of good Carte Blanca., consumng a Large glass of Scotch or Two.

Each of us as Humans have weakness as well as Strength. I finally opted out for "Control of My Life" not letting those things that do the controlling..

Flying had a lot to do with it.

God Had a lot to do with it.

Pretty Ladies to dance with had a lot to do with it.

Skeet/Loreto
Anon the Preacher
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:41 AM
It's about time.

Skeet, right-on.

Barry, you never made a difference.

Lou, yer goin' to hell.:lol:

The reszt of you, don't worry, things won't change noticeably.

Keep the drunks off the road.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:52 AM

"Drug Use in the Population of 12 Years and Ove in the USA and the Netherlands, 1997 and 2001"

It looks like whoever wrote that headline might have been smoking some happy-grass himself.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 12:59 PM
Lecho----Sharks-----

-----I do believe what I said before. After all, if there were no "users" then there would be no trade in illegal drugs---right??? Take any other entity out of the equation, but leave the "user" still active, and you still have a problem. The user will obtain the drugs one way or another, from past history.

Sharks----I may not have actually made a difference (tho I think I did, naturally), but I sure had fun hacking and burning out in the wilderness THINKING I was making a difference-----sorta like playing "rambo" without much danger, and all in a beautiful setting, and I got paid pretty good for it. :lol:

In actuality, there may not be an answer to the illegal drug problem-------except to make it legal, but that sure goes against every fiber of my thinking------I just don't know.

SKeet has it right--------everything with moderation for the "good life", or something like that. I sure like my two Canadian Whiskey c-cktails before dinner most nights :yes:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
------I just don't know.

SKeet has it right--------everything with moderation for the "good life", or something like that. I sure like my two Canadian Whiskey c-cktails before dinner most nights :yes:

Like most, as long as your drug "alcohol" is legal and availabe, everything is OK. And yes, alcohol exhibits all the requirments for a mind altering drug.

No Bad Days

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.