1-April-2006

Villa Saverios
Blvd Snchez Taboada Esq. Escuadrn 201
No. 3151 Zona Ro Tijuana, B.C. Mxico 22320

Food: 5*
Atmosphere: 5*
Service: 5*
Overall: 5*

This was the third restaurant on our to do list, so the group convened at my house (San Diego, CA) around 6ish on Saturday for a liquid libation of martinis and pints before heading out. The crowd was small enough this time around to fit into one car (great we only need one designated driver!)

Quick drive to the border, park, walk across and grab a cab and voila were there in no time cabby didnt even get lost this time ;-)

We were originally looking for La Hacienda, kind of. I must admit I got the names and buildings mixed up a bit. Cheripan (another 5* favorite of ours), La Hacienda, and Villa Saverios all share the same parking lot. I spotted what I thought was La Hacienda last time we were at Cheripan, a big beautiful building, and decided we should go there next. That big beautiful building is really Villa Saverios. And as it turns out La Hacienda is now closed and is now called Trez.

So all in all, we went to where I wanted to go anyway.

Villa Saverios is located in Tijuanas most important culinary zone, and the restaurant has become one of the most distinguished culinary spaces in the region. The restaurant itself is in a beautiful building, grand entrance, beautiful bar area, a few specials rooms available for large parties/weddings and even a special dinner table in a wine cellar. We should reserve this room and go back with a nice crowd, sits about 14+ people.

We arrived at the restaurant around 7:30pm, a little early for a Saturday dinner in Tijuana. Most people go a bit later. But weve found when you go early, the service is excellent you get more waiters. We basically had two waiters for a table of 5, and the owner dropped by for a few minutes to check on us too.

We started with Margaritas (great) and Martinis (great), and then moved into a couple bottles of wine (Santa Rita Reserve?)

Appetizers: Poblano peppers stuffed with beef cheeks, Carpaccio, and two different cheese plates. All excellent.

Next round was soups/salads: house salad, creamed corn soup, warm asparagus salad, and arugula salad with gorgonzola and roasted walnuts. Again, all excellent.

Dinner: Cedar plank salmon, Australian rack of lamb, lamb chops, and cornish hen . Excellent.

Dessert: espresso and mousse. Excellent.

Total: $2400 Pesos ($210 USD) for 5 people.

We walked over to Trez for an after dinner drink. Trendy place, with a club/lounge downstairs; restaurant upstairs was nice, good gin & tonics.
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 11:18 PM

It sounds like you are an owner of the above named restaurant and are using the forum for self promotion.

:?:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2006 at 11:42 PM

Javier Plasencia the owner of Saverios and 6 other of the most trendy and succesful restaurants in Tijuana does not need to hype his restaurants in message boards. He is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, and is one of the best chefs in Baja.

I wouldnt rate it so high, but its a good restaurant that can compete with the best california has to offer.
inertia

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 10:40 AM

I'm not the owner, just having fun with my friends discovering the 'other side' of Tijuana. something other than Revolution Ave.
i wrote the review following standard guidelines, sorry if it appeared to polished.

There are quite a few great restaurants there (and a decent symphony too). it adds just a bit of adventure to your typical Saturday night out.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by inertia
I'm not the owner, just having fun with my friends discovering the 'other side' of Tijuana. something other than Revolution Ave.
i wrote the review following standard guidelines, sorry if it appeared to polished.

There are quite a few great restaurants there (and a decent symphony too). it adds just a bit of adventure to your typical Saturday night out.

I think your review was great.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by villadelfin
It sounds like you are an owner of the above named restaurant and are using the forum for self promotion.

:?:

Yeah, owners that can't find their own restaurant is always a dead giveaway. :rolleyes:

Good review............but I would particularly appreciate a little more itemization of prices, especially beverages, and what the corkage fee is. Sometimes it can be tough to get a REALLY good bottle of wine in Mexico......so I bring one along, just in case.

Please continue to post any of your future reviews.:yes:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Good review............but I would particularly appreciate a little more itemization of prices, especially beverages, and what the corkage fee is. Sometimes it can be tough to get a REALLY good bottle of wine in Mexico......so I bring one along, just in case.

Saverios probably has the largest wine cellar in Baja. No bargains, though. You will pay $30 and up, (way up). You'll pay $6-8 for a martini and $5-12 for a tequila shot. Don't know about corkage fees. IMO, you shouldn't. They have a quality selection.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2006 at 10:56 PM

Thanks, Dave.

Found a link! No wine list but they claim over 300 wines in stock. Really, I'm not that hard to please; a high end Catena Cab will get the job done.

http://www.villasaverios.com/first.html
dgtoro

wink.gif posted on 12-7-2006 at 09:47 PM
Catena Wines

If you like Catena Zapata's wines, you should really stop by Cheripan also. This is an Argentine restaurant, with enough Argentine wines for you to try in a year.
If you like Catena Cab, I don't think there is anything earlier than 2004 around, don't recommend it later than 2003. I recommend anything from Luigi Bosca, or if you like Nicolas Catena's work, try their Amancaya (from Nicolas Catena and Lafyte Barons de Rotschild)

As "inertia" said, Saverios is located in an area now called "Gastronomic District", where upscale locals and some tourist go. Saverios is definately the best restaurant in Tijuana, but you should try them all. Google or Yahoo restaurants in tijuana and you'll find this hot spot in tijuana.

Corkage fee in Saverios as well as in Cheripan is $150 pesos.

Restaurants and bars located in the area:
-Saverios (italian food) $$$
-Cheripan (Argentine food) $$
-Trez (Fusion menu and bar) $$
-La Querencia (Baja Med food by Miguel Angel) $$
-In...something (Sushi, I can't remember the name) $$$
-La Espadaña (Breakfast) $$
-Chan's (Excellent Chinese food) $$
-La Diferencia (Mexican food) $$$
-Cafe del Mundo (Bar) $$
-El Pub de la Chapu (Irish bar) $$
-El Rodeo (Steak house) $$
-TGI Fridays (no need to explain) $$
-Cafe Saverios (smaller version of saverios) $$
-Nellos (never been there)
-Cafe La Flor (beautiful cakes) $$
and there is a lot more coming to the area...

open for questions...
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 08:46 AM

I am a huge fan of the 03-04 Amancaya Malbecs from Catena. Havent tried the 05 yet but I hear it's the best of the bunch.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I am a huge fan of the 03-04 Amancaya Malbecs from Catena. Havent tried the 05 yet but I hear it's the best of the bunch.

Thats an excelent wine. We have the 03 and its great.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2006 at 02:54 PM

Has the ownership changed hands at Saverio's in the last 4 years? I need to go back as it sounds like a different restaurant than the one we ate at. I would go just for the wine selection.

How do you think it rates in quality to Cien Anos? A restaurant we love to go to.

Thanks for your input in advance.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 09:40 AM
Saverios is a quality place

The bar area has served as a great meeting place for myself and business associates of mine. It has a good appetizer menu and having scanned the wine list a few times, the Casa de Piedra and Monte Xanic choices are quite tempting.

The atmosphere in the dining room is very comfortable and the service is great. We brought our own wine as well on a number of occasions for dinners and the staff were very helpful for the folks who have yet to master the Spanish language.

In about ten visits to Saverios for either just the bar or for dinner, nobody in my groups have left unimpressed.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.