Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Saving the Fishery
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 12:58 PM
Saving the Fishery

Retiring in Mexico on Disability Income
A couple of years ago I wrote a story titled How Brad Pitt Saved the Sea of Cortez. I took some liberties with the idea that flyfishing folks are conservationists (compared to the rest of us). Now I?m toying with the idea that U.S. retirees with disabilities may also play a large part in conservation of the sea?s fishery.

In 40 years of travel to this narrow end of the sock (the tip of the Baja California peninsula) I?ve encountered my share of expats who made their way down here for fun in the sun because they had the cash to crash. Most are pretty candid about where the money comes from. U.S. Social Security Retirement ages are well known so when I meet retirees aged 62 or older I expect them to be drawing regular SS benefits. When I meet young men and women retirees I find they are almost all on disability.

I?m not keeping a real tally but it seems to me that able-bodied retirees are very few and far between. Since my feet first hit the sands of the Sea of Cortez I?ve encountered an unusually large percentage of gringos with problems - - physical problems manifested in the U.S. for which they are reimbursed every month they continue to breath in out here in Mexico (or anywhere else in the world). The payments come from unions, Social Security, state compensation funds, insurers and former employers of every stripe. The payers call the money benefits; I think SS calls the money awards.

With Baja retirees, the major cause of work related disability from industrial accidents seems to be back injury while the major work connected illnesses are pulmonary problems and arthritis. So far, for the scores (perhaps hundreds) of people I?ve encountered who receive these benefits or awards all of the physical or psychological impairments are permanent. Not one person?s condition has improved by retirement, by lifestyle changes, by the climate, the tranquility, the healthy air and atmosphere of life in the tropics. Not one person has alerted the benefit payers that the disability is less severe, has grown less troublesome, has disappeared, that the benefits should no longer apply, that the payers can stop paying.

So, unless I?ve just by accident run into a numerical anomaly, all the retirees who like to fish must be fishing from the shore. I have two boats and I can tell you that loading them, fueling them, launching and hauling them uses strong bones and muscles, challenges able-bodied men and women everywhere. Pulling in a nice marlin, sail or pez fuerte puts a heavy strain on every part of the skeleton and many muscle groups in the back, arms and legs.

Now I begin to look at the old boys hoisting a few brews at Buzzard?s Bay Saloon in a new light. Since sitting in a canvas beach chair near the water doesn?t cost a dime or risk injury to bones or tissue with diminished capacity, these guys are enjoying fishing, now and then dragging in a nice croaker for the table, saving beer money and taking very little from the fishery. My hat?s off to em. If I had all their names I?d send em in to some fishing magazines or fishing news on the internet. Wouldn?t hurt for them to get some recognition.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 03:06 PM

Osprey:
There is one exception--Me!
In 1968 I read a Book written by a guy called Ray Cannon.
My first trip I fell in Love with the Sea of Cortez and the People of Baja Sur.
It has been my Mistress ever since!
I set out to make enough Money by working 17 Hours a Day for 10 years with a Snap-On Tool Route, buying Property , Reselling on 30 year notes at 10% Interest for 30 years. In 1983 I retired from the Tool Business, Married the Love of my Life and moved to Loreto Full time!
I was 52 years Old. I did not draw any S.S until I was 65 and that was only $600.00 a Month-I did not expect anyone to take care of me or my Family.
I owned and operated a Panga for 27 Years, ended up with a 22Ft. Diesel. I fished the Waters from Conception to La Paz.
I helped my friends fish for Shark, pulling in my largest, an 800 Lbder-The Teeth are hanging on my Wall.
I did not ever have a Disability of any kind until a very Popular Doctor in Fresno, California got in a Hurry and cut a Nerve and Liagament. I go to the Vets Hospital here in Amarillo Texas and my Supplement pays most of my Care. I do get my Prescriptions at $7.00 each which I feel I earned by serving in the Korean War for 4 years.

So I think that you should "Look a little further", such as Tio Don O'Neil, Jamie Parker and many others who do not fit your Description!!!

Skeet/Loreto
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 03:25 PM

Well, I am also an exception; although I know many in the category of which Osprey speaks.
Of course, I am no longer retired either but I did come here to retire in relatively good health with no gov't assistance of any variety.
How was I to know that my husband would get bored so quickly and decide to head out on a new career totally unrelated to what we retired from...go figure:rolleyes:

On a more somber note, I have always heard that you cannot get your SS checks sent to Mexico. Is that true? Are these people also breaking the law by having their checks sent to an address in the USA so no one knows that they are living in Mexico?

Oops got off topic there.

[Edited on 5-19-2006 by bajajudy]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 03:57 PM

)sprey:
A few more to look into:
James Kimbrough--Hector Aguliar Cunningham-Von Palleson- Fred Shields-
Don Rosenedahl- Ben Benner{The first Fido-Com in Loreto] Jim Pettit-Western Airline Pilot- And many more who Had a love for the Sea Of Cortez and the People!Not to get away from Taxes!
Your take on the Soc. Sec.is more on the Mainland.
Suggestion:
Read; Fire and Blood-A Bold and Definitive Modern Chronicle of Mexico.
by T.R Fehrenback
1973-Macmillian--ISBN 0-02032180-5 pbk

Skeet/Loreto
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 04:11 PM
Osprey------

------I do not live in Mexico, but I retired healthy at 57 (now am 68) and I do not collect any SS at all, never have, because I don't need it, and I always considered SS as a supplemental for those that actually "need" it. I think that there are many folks just like me, and I know several personally. It is a matter of principal with me. I live 80% off my stock market investments acquired over 33 years, and 20% off my Federal Law Enforcement Pension. Works for me.

Life is good!!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2006 at 06:36 PM

Osprey:
Just a few More:

John Wayne-Yes the John Wayne!
Owned the Hill over looking the Posada De Conception for many years!

Jill St. John who bought a Mangrove covered Bay.

Ed and Marva Miller lived a Coyote-then to Loreto

"Baja Patty" who retired from Boeing-had a Ranch on the East Sde of Conception. Hard working , Hard Drinking good Looking blonde!

Ed Tabor: After World War 2-Converted a B25 Bombbay into 6 Seats developed the "Flying Sportsman"!

Stu Knopp-Owner of Superior Trucking Co. Kent Washington!

Charlie Leech- Multi-Multi Millionaire Developer from Manhatten Beech!

Tony Kettinger--Textiles

Angus McKensie-- Developed the Water System at Ligui-

Ty Miller's Father- Ex CiA

I forget his Name- Brought many Thousands of Dollars in Carptenter Tools-Taught the Mexicano's the Know How- Ex Bush Pilot from Alaska.

Dr.Sam-

And many many more!

I think you have missed the Adventure that developed their own Funds and did not depend on the govt"t for retirment.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 03:23 AM

Capt George

semi retired FDNY (reg pension) @ 43, then 15 yrs IUOE local 15 running crew boats on NYC rivers (construction sites NYC bridges).

ran own business (bakery 5 yrs) Charter Captain, Guide, Commercial Fisherman......all my life NO hand outs...worked since 11 yrs old. 2 more yrs and SS, all the old fashioned way "I Earned It"

gp

anyone on SSI, or other disability income, has been awarded it by board decision (if there's fault, it lies with the decision makers). I judge no one in that regard...don't know their stories or their pain (or lack thereof)

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 04:18 AM

George:
Heard one Day that you were the Best Tarpon Fisherman in Flordia!!

Todd and I are still waiting!

Are you coming through on your way back to Baja Sur?

Come on by and you can help me Shovel Poop, Debroah/Virginia can Ride the Palo Duro Canyon and I can show you how to handle a Pooper Scooper!

Skeet/Loreto
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 06:00 AM

Some of your post sound like ss and disability are wrong , let me say that if you are awarded it you get i , i am ret military Navy 25 years retired ibew elect 20 years and ss ,, and i earned every penny of it ,i am not drawing a dissability , i don,t own aboat do a lot of fishing from shore and if i hook a big one i hand it off, and realeas 90 % of the fish i catch
jim
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 06:09 AM

i still think the ol osprey has a VERY good point. maybe nobody on nomad is of the kind he speaks. it does you all proud to not be on the public dole, i know.

i think he was trying to point out, from his experience that there is a group of disabled folks who aren't really disabled. and where better to be than someplace where the investigators probably balk at going due to the costs. how many people recover from a bad back? heck i'm 41 and EVERY SINGLE DAY when i get up in the morning my back hurts. but i still get up, gotta keep the lights on and keep junior fed.

[Edited on 5-20-2006 by woody in ob]

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 09:48 AM

Skeet! I'm pretty sure Harry Miller would shoot you if he knew what you posted about him!(just kidding) He is very secretive about his past...shhhh...

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-20-2006 at 11:11 AM
Ex chemist turned Mexico businesswoman

I'm an exception too. Came here to live full time in 1999 at 34 years old (now 41). I paid into SS in the USA for 18 years but I do not expect to ever see any of it when it becomes my time to collect. I plan on staying in Mexico for the rest of my life and will only return to the US to visit. I've been in Loreto throughout the year since 1999 with my Mex business being my only source of income. But I do see folks around here like you describe who IMHO should not be collecting it. The way I see it is if they can carry on these sporting activities they can certainly work and not receive this welfare. :fire:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.