Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Las Arenas Report 6/28 thru 7/1
M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 09:15 AM
Las Arenas Report 6/28 thru 7/1

Me and my fishing Pal Pat Kralj of Lafayette, CA joined Host Jerry Carr of Bay Point, CA for four days of Las Arenas panga fishing with David Jones' Fishermens Fleet. Jerry?s group of ten anglers fished from 6/25 thru 7/1

Bait was plentiful- and close at hand. , Sardinas were the main offering, and good sized- five inches and larger. Mullet were also provided by the carnadors. Bonito were plentiful throughout the Las Arenas waters, and ladyfish for roosterfish bait were readily made at Punta Perico. I think the abundance of bait was why the fishing was scratchy for us. It was more like fish soup than water out there!

Weather was typical for summer, mid-70s at sunrise and 100 by 1PM. Gentle breezes did little to cool slow trollers or drift fisherman.Water temps were mid-80s.

The tuna off Punta Perico have seen heavy pressure for a couple of weeks now, so light fluorocarbon leaders are necessary to get bit, resulting in plenty of lost fish. The bite dies soon after the sun is on the water.

We fished with panguero Jorge Lucero north and south of the Punta de la Ventana lighthouse. Wednesday 6/28 we did the shark-bouy boogie north, almost to La Cruces for four small dorado to ten pounds. We baited a large pod of common dolphin in the middle of Cerralvo Channel, but they were traveling, not feeding- no tuna came up. We ended the day making ladyfish and trolling the lighthouse. Pat Kralj caught and released a 45lb rooster on my TN20 with 40lb Big Game.

Thursday 6/29 we drifted the Perico tuna and saw a few hookups lost. A handfull were landed by the fleet. We continued south, made bonito and fished as far south as El Cardonal. Score so far- Zero. At 11AM we called it and headed to Perico and then the lighthouse. Again Pat had the hot rod and got another rooster about 45lbs.

Friday 6/30 we fished with Enrique Lucero- Jorge's younger brother. We went north all the way to Las Cruces and it was really slow. We trolled mullet on the beaches of Cerralvo Island on our way back to the lighthouse and more roosterfishing with ladyfish. We couldn?t shake the skunk Friday. Pat had one rooster thrash his bait to the surface, but no hookup. P-U!

Saturday we fished with Enrique again. Today the Perico tuna wanted our sardinas dead, butt hooked, and offered on 25lb flouro. I hooked up on the first drift, but pulled the hook about halfway thru the fight. Pat hooked and landed a 20lb yellowfin. One more drift, and I was on again. This time I landed the 20lb YFT and we headed south in search of dorado. We made bonito south of Muertos, and trolled as far down as El Cardonal. We were joined by a half dozen boats from the East Cape fleet.

Fishing was scratchy at best. I finaly caught a 12lb dorado on a sardina off Boca del Alamo. We finished our day back on the sands of the lighthouse but the roosters didn?t want to play. Pat had a roosterfish hit, he dropped his bait back, but the rooster wasn?t having any of it. We saw roosters free swimming near the surf.

Jerry Carr's Party as a whole had a good week. Species included Tuna, Dorado, Sailfish, Striped Marlin, Pargo Mulate, African Pompano, and Jack Cravalle. A few bull dorado went 45lbs. Dan Schaffer of Shingle Springs had the Hot Rod.

David Jones took good care us, in spite of the Aero Cal situation and the Hotel Los Arcos strike. We stayed at the Palmyra Inn, accross the highway from the Hotel Marina. The free WiFi was cool- 11Mbps (pretty sure it was the Hotel Marina's signal). As always, the fish trimming and filleting is awesome, and now they are vacuum packing your fillets. Davy's coffee is still awful. We enjoyed fishing with the Lucero brothers, and will return to La Paz and Las Arenas.

We got nicked by Alaska $50 for our rod tube- first time in 20 trips. Oversize charge...seems the airlines are scratching for every dime they can find. Our tube is 6in PVC just over seven feet long. It flew free coming back uphill...

We flew into SJD and David Jones got us transportation to La Paz for $75USD round trip each. The van was a new Ford with A/C that you could hang meat in, and an Alpine stereo. Trip was 2 1/2hrs with a stop at San Bartolo for banos and empanadas.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 01:52 PM

M_M
Glad you had good if not great fishing in La Paz area.
When are you headed down here(SJC)?
Just wanted to let you know that it looks like they are moving the fishing palapas...closer to the estuary. The only thing that we can figure is that they are goint to start work on the third finger(no pun intended) and will need the trucks with the huge rocks to go where the palapas are now.
See you in Sept?

M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 05:34 PM

Judy, We decided to head north this fall, no San Jose trip till next spring/summer.

Oregon chinook and the Columbia River sturgeon beckon, right after the Reno Air Races!

Alas, I guess the new marina will be daylighted by then.

My buddy Pat was walking around downtown La Paz on our last night in town, and Tony from SJD (who skippers Eric's panga Ginny) recognized Pat and chatted him up re the changes that Puerto Los Cabos is bringing to La Playita.

I got a good overview when we took off, though I don't see the new breakwaters stopping a real chubasco storm surge, unless they're driving a lot of friction piles for the windward/outside seawall! Where is the nearest big dredge anyway?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 06:31 AM

We were down at the jettys last night at high tide and I truly believe that they will be toast if we get any sort of storm surge. All they are is piles of rocks and last night with the full moon, high tide they were barely above water. It looked like they were rushing to get some rocks out there to protect the two big cranes that are out there. Time will tell
Have fun up north

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.