Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Laja
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 06:05 PM
Laja

Baja Vida and I had late lunch there last week.
It was very very nice, just as advertised.
We were amazed to find a totally empty dining room, even though it was Fourth of July week. Not sure where all the Gringos were hiding.
We had the four course, fixed price meal, with a bottle of "Xin" Tempranillo, from the San Antonio de las Minas winery.
Appetizer was an exquisite yellow tail, marinated in "old lemon" and of course it was raw.
Main course was a very nice cod dish.
Dessert was a flan like no flan I have ever had... and I am not a flan fan, but this was terrific.
Be warned, it is pricey, tab for two was $1334 (m.n.) including tip.
And dinner (six course) is 50% more.
But, well worth the experience.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 06:09 PM

There isn't a place in all of Baja, including Cabo, worth anything close to that kind of money. You're made of money?? And BTW, where is this place ?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 06:18 PM

if it is not worth it, why do you ask???
and yes, of course, it was worth it,
and no, I am not made of money,
just appreciate nice things...
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 06:30 PM

bajarunner,

Although I may not chose to afford this place, and then again I may, it's still good to hear about your experiences, good or bad.

I applaud anyone who posts a restaurant, hotel, campground or other review of anything Baja. I just like to hear anything about Baja !!

Thank you

If anyone gets to La Venatana, try the foil-wrapped whole fish-of-the-day at El Rincon. Standing over rice and veggies it's to die for ! With a nice bay view and COLD cervesas for under $20 US !!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 07:07 PM
Wow, that is pricey

And I think I know why the dining room was empty-----I have never spent that much for dinner IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!

but then you say you enjoyed it, and that is all that truly is important.

Thanks for posting---------I am not sure where this LARA is, tho.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 07:17 PM
Think there is a misunderstanding on the dinner cost

Bajarunner's 4-course gourmet (with all organic ingredients) dinner with a very good wine cost a very reasonable US $120 approximately.

I have been fortunate enough to dine at Laja and the ambience, the view, the gracious service and, most importantly, the food is world class.

You would pay US $300+ for an equivalent experience in Europe.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 07:23 PM
$300 in Europe?????????

I spent 5 weeks in Italy last summer and I never spent more than about $75 for two the entire time, and we had some really GOOD dinners.

Wow, where oh where do you guys eat???? (not that I want to share the experience)
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 07:48 PM
Great Britain, France and Switzerland

...just the facts, and only the facts.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 08:35 PM

The chef at LAJA is well trained and it shows. We have had some of the best meals of our lives there. Can't wait to get back.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 09:02 PM

Laja is actually a bargain considering the quality and exceptional food, it is in the same league with some of the best restaurants in Napa. In my vote, Laja is perhaps, the best restaurant in Mexico, so consider that.

The same meal, with similar quality, a great chef, and good wine, would cost 100+us per person in any of the top 50 restaurants in the U.S. IF you can get a reservation.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 10:08 PM

I do not know if I am sad or happy, because I have not considered Baja as a pricey place to dine. There is one thing for sure if a restaurant prices themself in this area ($60.00 a serving) they will not last long if they are not equal to the task.
That said $60.00 a person is not expensive considering in the city (San Francisco) many times I have paid more then $60.00 for a bottle of wine and once paid I think, close to $60.00 corkage charge. Most restaurants will be over $120.00 for a bottle of Silveroak from Napa. Expect to pay $20-25.00 for a glass of 18 year Glen Moraingue'.
I guess my point is price is only relevant to quality.
I don't do it often, but dinner for four at a good restaurant is often in $500.00 range.
\This has made me aware as I approach Retirement those day may well be over:lol::lol::lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2006 at 10:13 PM
All I can say----------

----------is that I am flabbergasted!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:41 AM

LMAO There are obviously about an equal number of guys here who must NEVER have taken a wife or special person out for a special evening!!! As Gyspy Jan inferred, there is a difference between "eating" and "dining". The occasion, quality of food, presentation, service, setting & ambience, the company you're in, and of course the cost are all factors.

You EAT at Mc Donalds or Denny's....you DINE at Canlis or Laja!! There's something sinfully indulgent about treating yourself to a truly special fine dining experience, and even more special is the statement it makes to the person you're with! Granted, not as long lasting in the stomach, but it creates special memories that echo forever! Much more satisfying than the Loreal "I'm worth it" line! It's obvious that some people will never experience the difference for themselves; some simply can't get beyond the dollar signs to the REAL difference between merely eating to quench your hunger versus fine dining to satisfy something deep inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
----------is that I am flabbergasted!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

Nothing beats a can of Spam in the San Pedro Martir, right Barry!?!:light:;D:yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:49 AM
My wife would disown me-------------

---------if I spent that kind of money on a "dinner". :lol:

There is tons of room in between the extremes that you mention--------i.e. eating at "Wendy's", or eating at "Laja's", it seems to me. We love to eat (dine??) out, but feel that it is not neccessary to squander money that could be put to use much better use elsewhere.

It is all a matter of priorities, I guess. Since these extravagant restaurants exist, that is testimony to the validity of what you say, but we simply will not be partaking of their service. Live, and let live, I am thinking.

"Bon apatit", or whatever the saying is. :yes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:51 AM
David-------

----in the San Pedro Martir, I prefer venison!!!! :P
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:53 AM

Good on yah Barry... naturally, it is killed outside park boundries!:yes::saint:

A great meal at a very fair price can be obtained at the Halfway House, prepared by Chef Johnny!

[Edited on 7-10-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 07:55 AM

I'm with you, Barry A. It has been well documented that in my younger days with The Friends of the Mojave Road, I ate out of cold cans with the labels worn off! Mystery glop.

I tried that on Marian after we got married and she rebelled. We compromised for our "going out for a fancy meal" on Big Macs.:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 08:03 AM
Neal and David-----

------nothing beats a can of kipper snacks with triscuits, when on the trail!!! :yes: :lol:

David, that dinner pictured is what I am talking about----------and the 1/2-way-house does a supurb job at a reasonable price-----my kind of place for exquisite dining, and my "special wife" agrees with me. :lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2006 at 08:06 AM
Neal-----

-----by the way, WELCOME BACK from Australia-----may we expect a report soon??? or would it have to be in "Off Topic"? :tumble:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.