Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Let's go to Baja Grandpa-Thanksgiving 2003
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2003 at 08:51 AM
Let's go to Baja Grandpa-Thanksgiving 2003

Over Thanksgiving my wife, daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandsons and I went to San Felipe Baja Mexico. (8 hr drive) from Prescott
The girls had already prepared the Thanksgiving dinner.
We had Thanksgiving dinner Wed. nite.
My oldest grandson (22) and I left Thur morning and headed south to Gonzaga Bay. 100+ miles
En route we stopped several places along the way and I told him some sea stories of racing this area in the 70's.
When we got to Gonzaga the restaurant was closing for Thanksgiving.
Yes they celebrate Thanksgiving in Baja. The gringo influence.
We got a quick snack and were invited for Thanksgiving dinner with the locals.

We got a room, cleaned up and I took a nap. Old guys like naps.

I finally met up with David K. I picked his brain for a lot of good info.
In all the years I have ridden in Baja I am just now beginning to SEE Baja.
When pre-running you ride in a tunnel and don't see anything else.
The dinner was typical Turkey dinner except the Mexican style turkey. If you ever get the chance to have Mexican turkey, do it.
We got up the next morning and the throttle on my grandsons bike was jammed, and wouldn't move in the housing.
He tells everybody around, no problems "grandpa fix it". I had a spare cable in the tool bag.
On the ride back that morning I told him to go ahead and I would follow. Big mistake.
I had to ride my tail off just to keep his dust in sight.
As we neared San Felipe I asked if he wanted to ride part of the original Baja course. (where the race course leaves the pavement and heads north past the sulphur mine and on to San Felipe) Sure and off he goes.
1 hr later I catch up with him just outside San Felipe with a flat tire.
Only several blocks from camp we rode on in on the flat.
Good ride, 300 miles +-, no fall downs, 1 repair.
This ride is very easy now due to the much improved roads. Still fun and great food along the way. Corky :biggrin: :biggrin:
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2003 at 08:01 PM

Right on Corky! Sounds like a blast. How much was the room, and When is the next one ? Paul
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2003 at 02:45 PM

I am going to try about the middle of February. I will be riding out of Catavina. I have 2 more grandsons to break into Baja. Hope that will keep me riding for a long time. Corky:biggrin::biggrin:
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2003 at 02:56 PM

Here's the other grandson. Couldn't figure out how to put both on same post. Corky:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-9-2003 by Corky1]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.