Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bahia Magdalena
SlickenChicken

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 11:04 PM
Bahia Magdalena

I'm trailering my boat to the East Cape for October but wanted to fish Mag Bay on the way down. Having never been there before, I am looking for suggestions in general and answers specifically to launch ramp locations, hotel, and any marine navigational warnings. Thanks.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 12:38 AM

I launched a 15 foot gregor baja from the beach at Puerto San Carlos. It's past a science station or something like a school. It's where the pangas launch. It was very shallow and tricky for a long way out. I made it as far as the channel markers before I decided I didn't have enough boat to get to the entrada. I went the next day from the same spot with Jesus in an ocean panga. Those guys go full throttle to plane up in about a foot of water. Maybe there is a boat ramp near the commercial pier for a larger boat.
The Hotel Brennen I think is the only real gringo hotel but there are a couple of other cheap ones.
Definately worth doing but the bay is more like open ocean and outside the entrada is the mighty pacific so you should know what your doing out there.
Can I go?
SlickenChicken

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 04:36 PM
Bahia Magdalena

Thanks. Doesn't sound too promising for my 22' deep hull, does it. Maybe I'll go to San Carlos/Scammons instead.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:00 PM

Chicken: What kind of Hull and Power?
Mag Bay and that part are well suited for a Panga or Flat-bottom Boat.
With a Deep V you might want to put in at the Ramp at Escondido, south of Loreto and go out to Catalana Island, or South to San Jose/Las Animas.
The fishing is Fantastic at that time, but beware if you go out before Oct. 16th.

Skeet/Loreto
SlickenChicken

[*] posted on 9-9-2006 at 06:33 PM

Good suggestion about Loreto. Is the Oct 16th reference to weather or something else I don't have a clue about. I have a house available at Coyote Bay inside Conception so we'll probably go that way.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 06:01 AM

Slicken - I live in Loreto and trailer my boat across the peninsula to fish the banks offshore from Mag Bay in the Fall. I fished four days out of Puerto Lopez Mateo in the two weeks before the recent storm. October and November is prime time for wahoo, yellowfin, marlin and dorado on the banks. Presently there are schools of yellowtail on the highspots and also dorado. Marlin are also in the area but there are so many sardinas that the marlin will seldom take a lure. No wahoo yet or yellowfin. I launch on the river bank in PLM and get outside through Boca de soledad. I am fishing this year from a new Bluewater 2150. This is a deep-V boat. It is a little tricky getting out depending on the tide, but it is worth it. Often last year in October and November I would catch marlin, wahoo and dorado on Thetis Bank on a given day and could fill up the boat on the way back in with yellowfin up to around 25 lbs. If you are serious about it get in touch with me.
SlickenChicken

[*] posted on 9-14-2006 at 06:14 PM

Bill: Hope you come back to this post as I am delighted to hear you've mastered the getting in and out of the water there in PLM. Please tell me more about putting in on the river. I have a 20.5 foot V- hull center console with an outboard and a 4 wheel drive P/U. I draft about 24". It would be fantastic to fish there as I am less confident about Mulege's condition.
For anyone else, can you tell me about places to launch/boat ramps/trips with the effort on the Pacific side. Thanks.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 06:29 AM

Chicken - "Mastered" connotes a degree of expertise I would not presume. In fact one day last month I buried my trailer to the axle in the mud while launching and had to wait until the rising tide floated the boat off to get out for a short day on Thetis Bank. It is not clear from your posts whether you know anything more about Mag Bay than you read in Lonely Planet. There is good fishing both inside and outside the barrier islands. I prefer the latter. What do you have in mind? Beyond getting your boat in the water and out, the bay and connecting channels have unmarked shoals and the entradas can be lethal. It is much easier fishing out of Mulege or Loreto, but in the Fall neither compares to the action outside MB. Whether you want to fish inside our out, you will need a real expert to show you how to launch and keep you off the shoals inside, and the channels through the bar if you go outside. Ruben Duran is the best in PLM. I took Ruben with me the first few times until I had tracks marked on my GPS and still do if he is not busy. I learn something every time he steps foot in my boat. Send me an email with specific questions and I will send you pictures of launch sites and fruits of the banks in the Fall. I was planning to get back over to PLM next week, but it looks like I will probably be cleaning up after Lane.
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 06:48 AM
Mag Bay

Slick Chkn,
I trailered my 26ft Blackman down to Mag Bay Sept. 2003. We spent a month there. Look at www.followingsea.net for the story. My boat was "GREBE". Other than running from Hurricane Marty the trip was flawless. It is very doable and worth it.

Steve
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 07:34 AM

Steve - That sounds like a great trip, and a great write-up. In 2003 when Marty blew through I was on the East Cape fishing for blue marlin. I had my boat moored out north of Los Barriles at El Cardonal. I left it in too long relying on reports that Marty was going to veer west at Cabo and just give the East Cape a little rain. I finally pulled it up on the sand between waves that threatened to roll it in the surf. Later that night the roof blew off the hotel I was staying at in winds of 100 mph +. It was seven days before I could get back to Loreto to see if I still had a house there. (Both my boat and house survived the storm with little damage) It sounds like you ran into Steve Warren in San Carlos? It would be real difficult to launch a boat the size of yours in PLM. It also sounds like you know what you are doing on the water and had a good crew. Last year I only did day trips from PLM to and around Thetis. With 140 gallons of gas in my new boat I plan to overnight this year at Bahia Santa Maria to get an earlier start at Thetis and the 23's. November is the best time on the banks. There are lots of marlin now, stuffed with sardines and not biting much, and dorado and yellowtail, but no wahoo or yellowfin yet.
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 07:53 AM

Morning Bill,
Yeah PLM was out of the question, but P San Carlos worked out well, my boat had a 450 mile range so we could stay out as long as we wanted. I knew Steve from previous trips flying down th the surf camp. He wasn't real happy that I was a non paying guest achored off of Hughes (his private point ?) but we were totally self sufficient, in fact we gave them so much fresh tuna and dorado that we should of had a free pass for life, oh well.
We did miss the November window, I just couldn't pull off a months vacation during that time.

Have a great trip.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 07:02 AM

http://seastriper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3615
Here is a link to where I posted a picture of the San Carlos ramp. At the right tides it will handle whatever you can tow down there. I launched my 23' Striper and fished outside.

I agree with Bill, if you are set up right Mag Bay is the placew to fish at that time of year
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
is here. Who is making plans or thinking of making plans to fish Mag Bay this season, from now to December?

Hook and I are thinking early November. Plan looks like Brenan parking, San Carlos launch, Santa Maria anchorage, refuel and supply at launch ramp, odd straw walks to the truck parking, skipper excluded from draw.

Just wondering about the buddy boat thing.

This would be the way to do it right. Inside Santa Maria Bay is a sand bottom with great holding. When I was there last year, inside the bay was lake calm. A small inflatable or the sting ray shuffle would let you set up a great beach camp. Checking the archive on mexfish.com shows late Oct - early Nov. would be prime. Check out Bill's wahoo in this week's report. (WTG Bill).
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:35 AM

Anyone think there will be anything (fish) left in December for a tin boat?
Albert

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Anyone think there will be anything (fish) left in December for a tin boat?
Albert

There's always the mangroves and a tin boat is perfect for it.

Check out www.mexfish.com -back issues for reports of previous Decembers or any other month for that matter
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 08:05 AM

Thanks Soulpatch.
It was an adventure, so much so that I got the cruising bug. Two years ago I sold the Blackman and purchased a 44ft sailboat, sailed to Cabo & back twice and hit Punta Hughes both times. Next year mainland Mexico and hopefully in 08 French Polynesia.............Life is good, no?

Steve
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:08 PM

Jorge, yes I did buy the Bruce Roberts 44 ketch, great boat.
I do miss the Blackman though, they are a perfect boat for the Sea of Cortez. We hung out for a week around the islands at Puerto Escondido, fishing, diving and surfing behind Grebe. I was totally blown away by the water conditions there, lake like glassy conditions most of the time. I wanted to stay longer but that was a very active year for hurricanes, we had to pull the boat and run twice. I'm hoping to spend a few months exploring the Sea next year before hurricane season. You gotta be loving it right now down there
Enjoy!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 04:46 PM

Steve or Alan,

My one big concern on Jorge's and my potential trip is whether Mag Bay Tours is "willing" to let someone set up a crude camp on the shore. From my standpoint, I'd be willing to pay them something for a camping easement, but figure we can take care of our own food. Have you heard if they are amenable to this?

If not, then I'm wondering if there is safe anchorage on the inside of Mag Bay north of Punta Entrada where one could camp on shore.

Bill Erhartdt seems to prefer departing through Boca de Soledad.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:51 PM

Last year I did only day trips out of PLM because I was fishing out of a 17' boat that carried only 36 gallons of gasoline. My new boat carries 140 gallons and this year I plan to do many 2 and 3 day trips, also out of PLM, but overnighting at Bahia Santa Maria. There are a couple of other guys in Loreto who have been doing just that. I plan to sleep aboard, but if I was going to camp ashore I would not seek leave of Mag Bay Tours or any other outfitter that has camps set up out there. There is plenty of room for everybody, and although the outfitters may want to convince you that they have exclusive concesssions, they don't.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:52 PM

Hook,

I wouldn't think it is an issue. It is a large Bay and I wouldn't imagine they have any rights to it ALL. When I was there they were set up at the north end of the Bay closer to the point. I went farther into the bay and didn't even see them.

Great anchorage. As I said it was sand bottom so you have great holding. A little inflatable would let you set up a great beach camp and you could just leave it with your anchor when you left in the morning. I would suggest that you do that only if you have an extra anchor. Hate to get caught off the rocks with engine trouble and no anchor aboard.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.