BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Rafael or San Francisquito?
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 10:58 AM
San Rafael or San Francisquito?

Six dudes (2-3 vehicles) are heading down below Bahia de los Angeles for camping and trying to track down the yellowtail migration in November.
We require:
1) our own beach or cove (we will share with a bunch of babes)
2) easy launching of a Zodiac (with launch wheels)
3) a good chance at yellowtail

It would be nice to have:
A mercado and a taco stand within 10 miles and good kayaking.
We will have four wheel drive and all the required supplies although ice will be a problem.
Anyone out there have a preference of the two spots?
I have heard that catching hurel from the beach is a possibility. WOW!

Thanks,
Martyman
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 12:11 PM

There are no mercados south of BoLA but you'll have no problems finding the other items. One of my favorite places in the area is Playa San Rafael. Many Nomads know Pancho who lives there. He is a great source of info and will do what ever he can to make your stay pleasant. The beach is perfect for a Zodiac and there is plenty of room to camp either on the back lagoon or the sandy beach. Often, there are divers or fisherman staying there as well. I should be in the area some time around Halloween.

As for Pt. SF, I don't have too much info for you. But stay tuned as many others will give their two cents.

Zac

Baja with Bobby 007 (Small).jpg - 25kB

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 05:40 PM

I second the San Rafael vote. Beautiful place, Pancho is a kick and very helpful.
If you run out of food, there is a restaurant in San Francisquito. Pretty basic but better than nothing. They sometimes have ice and they have showers. The "rooms" are a little scary. It is a beautiful beach and looks like it would be easy to launch a rubber ducky.
Have fun...great area, either place

Side Story...if you have decided that you need a meal and are headed to SF, do not buy tamales from the tamal lady as that is likely what they will have at the restaurant that night. She usually sits in her vehicle near the military checkpoint(yes, there is one on that road) and is unbelievably nice(you could probably ask her if she is headed to SF to sell her leftovers). Her tamales are delicious

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 06:04 PM

my vote is playa rafael, easy launching(at a higher tide) and easy access to the islands. theres a old rancho to the west you could explore and miles of dirt road to ride. halibut in the winter but you may have to go north or south for yellows, lots of bass around in the shallows. good luck:coolup:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
if you have decided that you need a meal and are headed to SF, do not buy tamales from the tamal lady ... Her tamales are delicious

Judy, did you mean to say "do not hesitate to buy tamales ..., etc"?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2006 at 10:25 AM

Joe
You know I read that over several times and I didnt think that it was saying what I wanted it to.
The tamales are wonderful. BUT we bought some on our way to San Francisquita where we were staying the night and looking forward to a restaurant meal and when we asked "whats for dinner", they said tamales. Now that we have beat that to death:saint:

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Nice pic bajaboy. It looks like San Rafael is the wiener. It is also a shorter drive. Has anyone ever caught a yellowtail from shore?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 04:34 PM

Cabrillo only for me.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 04:43 PM
Yellowtail from shore-----

Both north and south of BOLA we have caught many yellows and sierra by trolling from a boat within 200 feet of shore, so it seems to me that if you were patient you should be able to catch them from shore, but I never have tried as we always have our little "tin boat" (14 foot GREGOR).

Barry
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2006 at 11:29 AM

[Edited on 9-15-2006 by cpg]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.