BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Favorite Fish in Sea of Cortez to catch or to eat?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 07:04 AM
Favorite Fish in Sea of Cortez to catch or to eat?

Just curious.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 08:11 AM

You might want to make a poll out of this one. Those are really two seperate categories. I love to catch roosters and I'm sure there's nothing like hooking a majestic marlin, but neither win any gourmet awards on the table. Catch & release for them. Pargo and broomtail grouper are great, tuna and bottomfish- especially lingcod in the pacfific, dorado and yellowtail, all have their qualities. Me, I like the humble cochito or triggerfish. I know many fishermen hate them for "bait-stealers", when after other species and it's true they're a b-tch to skin & fillet. But I like the firm texture of the meat that doesn't fall apart when cooked and it makes great ceviche. The catching isn't spectacular but it is generally reliable. Once a year, everyone here on the top end of the Cortez goes crazy over corvina as they become very abundant, but I'm just not that crazy about eating them. To each his own...

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 08:22 AM

Great question Cypress...

My answer(s) is Corbina, Dorado, Halibut, Yellowtail. Actually almost anything is great to catch or eat! Corbina (which is easily caught from the beach near San Felipe) is my favorite if I had to pick one!

[Edited on 9-20-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 09:18 AM
Favorite Fish

My votes....

For the challenge and punch per pound:

Yellowtail - Seriola Dorsalis

For delicious eating:

Spotted Cabrilla - Epinephelus Analogus

...al mojo de ajo! :saint:
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 09:43 AM

Well, that's an easy one....Sculpin!! They're ok fighters, but the meat is soooo sweet. I also like ling cod, but the meat has to be green or blue, and you only get that with the pacific nortwest ones..need the cold water. Another favorite is the meat between the body and the wings on a guitarfish...so tender and firm it's like lobster. Absorbs a sauce real well, too.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 10:08 AM

Yellowtail tops my list for pure power, kinda like latching onto the back bumper of a buick.

For eating, im also a fan of the lowly triggerfish.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 10:13 AM

Roosters and dorado most fun to catch. Billfish too much work.

Eating, cabrilla , grouper and the lowly parrotfish, if you can get by the smeel when cleaning.:P:P:P
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Well, that's an easy one....Sculpin!! They're ok fighters, but the meat is soooo sweet. I also like ling cod, but the meat has to be green or blue, and you only get that with the pacific nortwest ones..need the cold water. Another favorite is the meat between the body and the wings on a guitarfish...so tender and firm it's like lobster. Absorbs a sauce real well, too.

Sculpin, I regularly serve ling cod as a dinner special. The meat is always white. Sure your not confusing them with cabezon, which (always) has blue-green flesh. Until you cook it anyway.:D

In answer to your question; I find that depending on how and with what sauce or seasonings you use , you can make that particular species stand up and be noticed. Plain fish sucks.....unless it's sushi.:lol:

I like sea bass, cabrilla, rockfish, triggers...... smoked anything, except halibut.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 12:09 PM

There is a bottom grabber we love. The locals call it cabazon. I've looked it up in books and, while there is a fish the Americans call Cabazon (not the same), the closest we can come is Jawfish. We usually catch them in ~100 ft water with a sandy bottom. I think this is more or less the same as the blue and green fleshed fish mentioned above. They look somewhat like a cabrilla but are fleshier and without course scales. There is not a lot of yield but, cooked in beer batter and deep fried, Cabazon is the best. I've heard the name "aguado" associated with this fish by some of the locals. Beer batter= flour, yeast, warm beer, salt mixed to consistency you like then let it rise for several hours. Enjoy! I know, I know: cooking page.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 01:24 PM
Now that's very interesting

I grew up in So. Cal where we would catch quite large cabezon in holes in the reefs at low tide. Pretty cool for little kids(back then). I never cared much for em. They were too fishy. THat was then! Of course my well intentioned father regularly ruined the game I constantly brought home.

They are a "rockfish" sp. but there are many in the complex.. I agree that sculpin and scorpionfish are other excellent bottom fish but watch dem spines!!
Scorpionfish

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 01:32 PM

Thirtyeight Years fishing the Sea of Cortez:

1. Catfish-Caught a Hundred Yards of of the "Penthouse" in the Bay of Loreto.
2. Cabrilla
3. Triggerfish- Left in the Refrig overnite taste like Lobster.
4.Yellowtail--Canned with a small amount of "Smoke". Best tuna in the World.
5. Sierra- Best for Ceveiche
6. Dorado- Cooked fresh on Day of Catch.
7. Lingcod- Greenies -Caught of Punta Pulpito

Skeet/Loreto
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 01:37 PM

Any fish I catch on rediculously light line and tackle quickly becomes "my favorite fish to catch". A surf perch on 2lb line with freshwater tackle? fun fun fun...Lke hooking up a huge homeguard yellow in BOLA! Quite good eating I might add, fried whole with only salt and pepper,lemon and tortillas to top it off a big glass of San Diego's own Ballast point Yellowtail Pale Ale!! Whooey!! gonna go get my gear ready!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 01:45 PM

Partial to catching yellowtail.

Best eating common fish.......probably FRESH dorado.

But the best eating fish I have caught in Mexican waters is my overall favorite, too.............halibut. Flesh stays firm, no matter what and it takes well to marinading, grilling, frying, deep-frying, smoking. I just never really target them in Mexico.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 02:33 PM

Appreciate all the replies! Tripletails? They're tastey. Anybody fish for 'em?
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 10:57 AM
maybe not my favorite,but

very yummy fish to eat.....Opah

opaaaaaah.JPG - 31kB
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 11:05 AM
Trpiletails

Cypress, I once fished and caught tripletails in the gulf coast of Florida. They swarm around deep sea marker bouys. They were all released. I've fished all up and down Baja and unless I'm mistaken, you cannot find those in the Cortez and pacific. I could be wrong though but I've never come across one 'roun here!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info Pargo.:D Was wondering about that. Saw a picture of a guy holding one he'd supposedly caught from the beach somewhere down there either in the Pacific or the Sea of Cortez.:?: They are very good cooked any way you like.:bounce:
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 12:02 PM

Catching = Roosters

Eating = Triggers. Mmmmmmm :bounce:
(unless there's Swordfish!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 12:45 PM

For me, it depends on the mood..

If fishing and on a hot day, filleted trigger fish cut into small chunks and cooked in the sun for 20 to 30 minutes (sort of like ceviche) or any bottom fish with some fresh slasa and a beer and a bunch of chips to go with it.

Once home from fishing - There is nothing like fresh Pacific Sculpin fillets buttered fried in garlic. Some tortillas and white rice with some chopped tomatoes and onions to go with the tacos, hmmmmmm!!

Winter - A fish soup with fresh Pacific Ling cod (Yes the ones that are blue or greenish in color) they are the best. It gives the soup a really rich flavor and not to fishy. I add a couple punds of shrimp and the Head and spine as well as the wings of the Ling Cod are a must in the caldo. So what I do is keep the fillets for another occation.

Ceviche - By far barracuda (I know many of you hate them) but dang when they are fresh and you marrinate in lime, especially Mexican limes (not lemon) over night and on a very hot day you add the chopped onions, tomato, cilantro and fresh jalpeņo peppers and serve it up on a fresh tostada with a cold one. Ahhyy caramba..

At a restaurant: Give me the sword fish with all the trimmings...

All tuna & yellowtail, I prefer in sushi, sashimi with rice and fresh vegatables.

On the BBQ grill - White sea bass and Albacore also yellow tail is OK.

But I do say this if you can find a way to mess up a sculping fillet, I want you to tell me cause that fish is so good. I wonder why they come in such small sizes. I wish those suckers got up to 10 or 20lbs. That would be awsome a Sculping steak vs a fillet.. Well I can drem can't I..

Anyway to each his own, some swear by mackerel and you can't force me to eat one..

God be with you all,
Alex L

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 01:03 PM

SoCalAl, Sounds like you like fish a lot.:bounce: Me too.:) Thanks for the picture Tomas Tierra. That's an odd looking thing. Seems like the trigger fish is high on the list for being tastey.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.