Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shore fishing-San Lucas Cove- San Bruno
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 11:51 AM
Shore fishing-San Lucas Cove- San Bruno

Does anybody have any suggestions on spots and/or lures to try in this area from shore? I don't think I will be able to drag my girl friend out on a panga 6 days in a row. I can probably sneak out in the mornings, but those afternoons and evening will be a different story!! Gotta keep the peace! I may even borrow a kayak from a friend in La Mision. Fish on Nomads!!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 12:13 PM

when you see the fish there catching out a ways you may want to trade in your girl Friend:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 01:36 PM
From where you'll be......

.........I'd try the south end of San Marcos around Roca Lobos and towards the island. Be advised that the currents in that area can be VERY, VERY strong if you are in a hand-powered craft.

The other option, which is a little ways away, are the start of the cliffs just north of the Haystack. Fish in 20-40 feet of water.

Heck, you're close enough that you can easily fish the bajos north of San Marcos and still be in her arms by noon. Come home with big yellers and she will coo at how big a man you are.....:lol:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 03:10 PM

Hook, you missed the part where he was hoping for a kayak at best. You can fish from the cove in a kayak but shore fishing is pretty much a bust anywhere in the area. The only exception to that would be the breakwaters at Santa Rosalia harbor and the breakwater at San Bruno. We had a governor's cup tournament last weekend at San Bruno and it was amazing what the shore crowd caught from the breakwater. the Juvenille division was really fun to see and we had a little sawed off guy who must have been around 5 or 6 and he won $500 dollars US for his first place fish. Bet he had head position at the dining room table for a week or so.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 03:59 PM

There's a small lagoon/cove just south of San Lucas Cove. Between SLC and Punta Chivato. Some of the knowledgable locals at SLC go there in the winter months when the wind is blowing real hard. You can find it and the dirt road leading to it in the Baja Almanac. The place just about empties out during low tide. But fish do move in and out of there and the corvina fishing can be pretty good in there.

Sometimes the fishing in SLC itself can be pretty good. If you see diving terns within wadeable distance you may be able to reach fish under them with a kastmaster or a crocodile. Last year we caught lots of corvina, some roosters, and other gamefish right in front of the campground. If you have a kayak then I would fish the deeper holes at the mouth of the cove and outside of it. There's always roosters at the mouth but they are very elusive. The mouth will have fish in it regardless of the presence of baitfish.

Good luck.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 05:00 PM

I didnt COMPLETELY overlook that, Jim. Based on one of his previous posts, he appears to have unlimited panga privileges due to family connection. I was just suggesting that he could easily do some fishing by noon and not get the GF all peeved.

How'd you do in the tourney? Who'd you fish with?

I have continued to search around for a Quintex but they are just so hard to come by on the West Coast. Very rare.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 07:26 PM

Check out this weeks Mexfish.com report for a full report on the tournament. Short Story is that Marika had number two in the yellowtail division easily handled but a big sea lion ate the body, so she placed fourth with the head.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.