Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: FISHING - BAJA GEAR
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:03 PM
FISHING - BAJA GEAR

Do you fish? Do you love to spend a whole day relaxing in a good Baja boat? I f so, I would like your opinion and info on: Fishing rods, reels, lines, lures, and your favorite fish-catching methods.

My December birthday is coming up and I have been given a kitchen pass to shop-till-I-drop for all things fishing. I will soon be fishing the Cortez mostly from Loreto to Sta. Rosalia, Magdelena Bay, and maybe a trip to San Ignacio lagoon or Pta. Abrejos.

I would like to know what Nomad fishermen think are good choices of the above list. I will be fishing for lots of different species and will adjust to any and all methods that catch them! So here we go:

What rod, reel, line, terminal tackle, hook or lure, fish species, and presentation is your favorite for these?

1. Making bait
2. Baitfishing
3. Trolling
4. Jigging
5. Casting
6. Any other method or trickery

When my wife belatedly asked how much I would like to spend..I said, "Would you put a price on a pacemaker?"

Thanks for your input and participation. If I ever get this right..or even close... I will die a happy camper. :)

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by Summanus]

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:38 PM

Making Bait: A short rod, maybe 6ft, high speed 6:1 reel, like a Speedmaster, 30lb line.
Baitfishing: 7foot rod, 30lb for surface bait for dorado, roosterfish, sailfish, maybe a surface yellowtail bite. Baitfishing the bottom for yellowtail, short rod, 50lb main line, lever drag reel.
Trolling: Short rod, 30-40 lb test. Maybe 40lb for striped marlin, for big blues and blacks heavier stuff than I ever use.
Jigging and casting: Casting surface iron, 8ft 30lb, high speed reel. Deep jigging, 6 1/2-7ft rod, 40-50 lb, at least 4:1 retrieve speed.
Inshore: 15 and 20 lb outfits. I prefer casting but spinning works too.

All recommendations are gross generalizations. Really swell rods are made by Calstar and Seeker. I also like Shikari blanks for my rods. I also really like Avet reels. But there is lots of great stuff out there, more and better stuff than ever.

You can spend a year reading archived posts on the west coast fishing sites: Allcoast Sportfishing, Senor Tuna, and Bloodydecks. EVERYTHING about Baja-type fishing.

For on-line ordering, I like Charkbait.com. The best online catalog for browsing, too.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 01:56 PM
Thanks Don

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Charkbait.com. The best online catalog for browsing, too.

There goes the rest of my day.

yuletide
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:08 PM

I don't know enough to advise anyone, but the most important is rod, reel, hooks, chair and beer. Oh, take one beer on boat for that that ride in...NO more until you are cleaning those bad boys at home.
Where is Pompano when you need him???:lol::lol:

Thanks Don Alley good info...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:37 PM

Most of my fishing for the past dozen years has been inshore either direction from San Nicolas. I've always called it Gene Kira fishing for good reason. He wrote the bible: The Baja Catch. I don't think you can do any better for a source of information on that specialty.

I STILL put most of my faith in a jointed Rebel fastrack in orange over gold. Just like Gene said.:yes:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 03:47 PM

I can tell this is going to be a long string. I too am new at fishing in The Sea of Cortez so I will be reading with interest. My brand new casita in Mulege was pretty well trashed in the flood but a couple of Mexican friends managed to tow my Panga to higher ground and saved it. I had just bought it in April and was ironing out some fuel feed problems and was getting to know the boat. Then I left in may, so I am really looking forward to getting it back on the water. I will be there around the first of the year.

To answer your questions, I went online to cabelas.com and did a live chat with one of their representatives. I told him I wanted to do a variety of fishing; mostly trolling and bottom fishing. Here's what he recommended, and I bought:
Shimano Torium Casting Reel in combo with Cabela's Salt Striker rod. The gear ratio on the reel is 6.2:1 The price for the combo was $255. He recommended 30lb test for the line.

I lost all the new lures, weights and hooks in the flood. I had bought quite a variety which was recommended by a fanatical fisherfriend whose opinion I respect. I also took recommendations from the owners of La Tienda in Mulege. They are pricey but they have a lot and they are there.

If you are in Mulege, look me up: The Orchard, #90. Summanus, do you have a boat? You are welcome to join me when in Mulege. I think we might even find some beer.:cool:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 04:40 PM

Now I need to find someone to show me, where when, and how...:biggrin:

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:09 AM

What great questions. To give you the proper answers we would really need to put our feet up under a palapa somewhere and discuss these issues in earnest over a couple of those "faulty" Pacificos that are just forming ice crystals.

You've got some great categories for the different types of fishing but there is more to it than that. Are you fishing from your own boat or do you plan to charter pangas and cruisers? What is your strength and stature. A big YT or 50# YFT on a nine or ten foot jig stick is not for everyone. Do you prefer working fish on lighter line or do you prefer heavier line and going mano-o-mano with the fish?

You obviously understand the need to have a selection of equipment (nobody golfs with just one club) but the number one rule is when possible always choose quality over quantity. All of us have made concessions in our purchases at one time or another so don't let that put you off but make knowledgeable choices when doing so. You don't want to have to fight your equipment AND the fish. My personal preferences are Calstar and Seekers for my rods and most of my reels are Shimano Trinidads along with a few Penn Intn'ls. Yes the Tiagras are probably even better reels but I've have a soft spot for my Intn'ls. I absolutely love the feel of the Trinidads and the way they fish. I've heard the Toriums are nearly identical to the Trinidads at significant savings but not having used them I can't comment. I do have a couple of Newell's that I love. They will cast a mile and I have never experienced any of the problems others have reported. Whistler provided an excellent list that will cover all of your bases. My own list is a little different but that is based on MY strength, stature and preferences.

Trolling I like the Calstar 6455xxh with a Penn 30SW with 60-80#
Live bait- marlin I use a Calstar 700M with the Trinidad 40 and 40#
For slinging jigs on 20# I love a Calstar 196L-8 with a Newell 229
For smaller baits a Calstar 800xlh and the TN16N.
20-25# is covered with a 700L and a TN16 or 20
10-12# is handled by a Calcutta 400 on a Seeker 858
A hole I plan to fill this Xmas is a 40# Jig stick. I've have already decided on the TN40N just not sure which one of the new rootbeer colored Super Seekers I want to match it to. Really like those ULUAS.

I'm going to need another Pacifico before we jump into lures and tackle :lol:
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 11:39 AM

Many thanks, guys.

Those are all great ideas which will I think will give us many memories and a welcome fish dinner now and then. I will most likely be 'catch-and-release' fishing, but will occasionaly fillet one for us and/or a friend.

Don Alley, thanks for that Charkbait site...I love it! I gotta get a catelog for my bathroom. And I have visited a few of those other fishing forums and sites, but prefer to visit here on Nomads. There is a lot of knowledge on them, but it seems more familiar here.

Al G, I agree. My chair is very comfy, swivels 360, and my cooler will be always packed fresh daily with ice, lunch, and Pacificos. The disappearing Pacificos will make room for my prize fish. This is an ungoing education we are enrolled in...always room for more.

vgabndo, sounds like you live in a nice place for fishing...San Nicolas. I will add that lure and book you mentioned to my shopping list. Gracias.

toneart, thanks for the boat/beer invite. I will look you up when we get to Mulege..but the beers are on me. I have a nice boat and trailer that is most likely good for anything not too far from shore..also for trailering to places I really need to go..like Mag Bay, Agua Verde, San Ignacio lagoon, Abrejos(?), and from Loreto to the Bay of Los Angeles. This will, hopefully, take me some time.

whistler, those are some rods/reels I have on my list, along with some of Don Alley's. A friend recently brought his latest Newell reel over to show me it's features..quite impressive. I would love to flyfish for dorado around those floating kelp patties! Hmmm...does 'Gene Kira' exclusively trollfish? Is that the most productive...maybe to cover more ground?

Alan, I second the palapa session with some cold ones. Nothing sounds better about now. For your questions, I am about 270lbs, over 6', limber as a rock..but willingly abuse my tired muscles with outdoor activities, like casting and wading a river wet after tripping and filling my waders. For sure mano y mano with a chance at a record fish..or any fish for that matter. I can spend some time on a rockpile or miles out at sea. I have written down your choices, too...and along with the other suggestions I will heft and play with all before chooosing my own. Pretty nice task, no?

I like the thought of using the lightest gear possible to do the job of bringing the fish to the boat...or to wherever I may be fishing from..rock, beach, or pier. I would like to give that white sea bass surf-fishing a try from Laguna Manuela, ..north of Guererro Negro a few miles.

So far, looks like I will be buying at least 4 rods, and 4 reels (with good speed ratios)...plus the lightest line for various uses.

Now as to those lures and other stuff.........!?!!

...and then let's say I am going to buy, create, or make some 'bait'...what, where, when, how? My current bait tank needs a new pump and may be too small besides for the baits of Baja.

Pull up a chair, grab a cold brew, and let's talk fishing....nothing else I would rather do.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 11:57 AM

Summanus...If your boat could handle a Tuna tube, it sure is neat for Bonito bait. Only used 3 on hook all day. No bill fish found though. I think the idea is sound...bait maybe wrong.

Albert G

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:14 PM

Al G...Tuna tube? This I have to have..

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus

My December birthday is coming up and I have been given a kitchen pass to shop-till-I-drop for all things fishing.

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by Summanus]

WOW! :oWhat I wouldn't give for that!! The last time Dern made the mistake of stopping in the tackle shop real quick for a few things, he made the mistake of letting me go in too....It's like going to a Costco, you can't get out the door without spend a couple of bills.
Have fun!!
P>*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 03:39 PM

Summanus...forgot to say these are the smaller size tubes. Maybe 20" long X 6" diameter. Hope someone else can give you more insight...I am not an expert. The Bonito swim about 200 mph in them but go nowhere.:lol::lol:

Albert G

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 04:20 PM

Summanus, I don't have all the fancy equipment some of the above posters use and none of my stuff is new, except!!!! LINE. My advice is to buy good line, change it often, buy some more. Don't buy up the store until you get down here, figure out what you're using. There are plenty of places to get new line. If you keep your equipment maintained and change your line early and often you'll have more luck. Luck is the residue of design.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Most of my fishing for the past dozen years has been inshore either direction from San Nicolas. I've always called it Gene Kira fishing for good reason. He wrote the bible: The Baja Catch. I don't think you can do any better for a source of information on that specialty.

I STILL put most of my faith in a jointed Rebel fastrack in orange over gold. Just like Gene said.:yes:

I have to correct one thing. This style of fishing was perfected by Neil Kelly (rest his soul), not Gene Kira. Based on the original versions of The Baja Catch, Gene was really the writer who recorded what Neil did. At least that's the way I read it.

I dont know if that's changed in the newer versions. My copy is the 2nd printing, I believe.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 06:34 PM

Summanus, I'm with Osprey.

There is so much good used equipment for sale these days. Due to the increasing cost of LR trips, boat fuel, etc., lots of guys are selling their stuff cheap. We're talking good stuff by Diawa, Shimano, Calstar, ProGear, etc.

Then there's the admitted tackle 'hos who are constantly changing out their reels every year it seems.

Go to the buy and sell board over at allcoastsportfishing.com. Very active board for tackle. Their tackle board is also excellent for tips on what to buy and how to maintain.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 06:43 PM

Osprey and Hook, many thanks. Good quality fishing lines and saving some bucks on good used tackle. allcoastsportfishing...Now I know what I will be reading till the wee hours tonight.

Osprey and all, anybody got preferences on line brands? A saleman at Squidco in San Diego off Midway mentioned Ande in large rolls as being a good buy...okay stuff?

p.s. have been pondering the best knot for line to tackle. I have the blood cinch down pretty good, but imagine there are other favorites.

Plus I have been garnering notes from Al G's thread on this same subject. Glad to be online with the same ideas at the same time!!

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by Summanus]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 07:05 PM

Can't beat Jinkai for leader, Bear line for billfish, perfection knot for everything above 65# if you don't have all the sleeves you need.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 07:11 PM

Osprey, thanks. I have not seen those brands yet, but will ask about them manana or this weekend. I'm not familiar with the perfection knot, but I have a knot diagram Internet site so I will check it out. I also recall seeing some sleeves and will buy an assortment.

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 01:14 AM

Here is a needful thing for my boat... some words on a plaque attached to my boat bulkhead.

Recently, while browsing the Internet fishing sites, I came across a great peice of writing by a flyfisherman named Robert Traver. I was reminded of the reasons why I want to fish so much. Here it is, a short article named

TESTAMENT OF A FISHERMAN

"I fish because I love to: because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful. Because mercifully there are no phones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness. Because one day I will catch a mermaid and finally not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other cares of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun."

I wanted to share this with you...and also warn any guests who may come aboard my boat that if you mention politics once..you should be a good swimmer.;D

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.