Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No hijacking
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:03 PM
No hijacking

Decided not to hijack Summanus questions. So will ask my own.
The following lures I bought without knowing what I was going to use them on, I know DUMB.
Anyway If you see any that will or maybe will work for X fish at X place, please let me know. Some I thought for Tuna, Some Dorado, and some I have no clue. Some of the fun is just trying different things, but have discovered my time on the water is still limited and will be for another year. (no boat yet) Also is it polite to ask the Captain to try my lures? I wanted to last time, but he sure was working hard to find us some fish using what he knew would work.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:05 PM

Pictures

Lures for Baja1.JPG - 33kB

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:06 PM

More

Lures for Baja3.JPG - 38kB

Albert G

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:08 PM

I'm not sure about your lure selectiuon, but I know a lot of fisherman you can catch with what's in the box below.:D
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:10 PM

Yes Al, for sure SOME of those will catch fish !! :lol:

But after fishing Baja for 20 years, I don't have anything that looks anything like those.

Just kidding. :lol:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:21 PM

#16 best of all !! :rolleyes:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:39 PM

You guys are so nice, I thought you got some help with your fishing gear? My 2cents if I had my choice of only having one lure it would be a Krocodile you can cast it you can troll it at speed and it will stay down. Another thing that you may have not done is buy some 90 or 125 lb test wire and sleeves. I would go to that charkbait.com site and buy 1.25oz, 2.25, 3.25 in Prizm and green mackeral. this lure will catch anything. As for what you have I will let someone else tell you what to do with them. I know leave out the last sentence.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 07:58 PM

Al, any of the broke- backs at a slow troll around rocks in 10-30 feet of water about dusk and you'll probably get lucky with a little work for a nice pargo or reef snapper. I like the looks of # 10 the best for this. The longer nosed models are a little too wild iimo.

All the feathers will do the job but make sure you have some black/purple, black/ green (meanjoe) and some red green orange white (mex flag) . Most of what I see will work in the spring summer and fall but if the surface fish aren't there in the winter it won't matter what you take.

Do I remember right that you are heading down in January? If so , and assumming you have enough time and the wind dies down enough to get out on the water , you want to be set to rig for Yellowtail. This includes bait jigs for Macks and slider sinkers and some bait hooks. Also , Always go prepared to shore fish just incase the weather fails . Some chrome Crocs and other castable spinners are some of my favorites. I've caught fish from shore with a popper very simular to your #7

When all else fails , a couple of crappie hooks, swivels and a pyramid sinker over some reefs are a good bet for cochis., but I don't think you'll enjoy eating them :P

The most important piece of tackle is your ice chest. Make sure it is bigger than the tackle box

lero
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:12 PM

Al ---

Looks like a lethal selection of lures to me. If you cant catch fish with those, do what I do, go to the fish market and throw out the time-tested Green-Back. Guaranteed to catch fish.
Just kidding, Al. I was raised at the beach and fished commercial for too many years and have lost the romance of fishing, although I love to eat them.
Good fishing luck on your upcoming trip.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:39 PM

Dennis...But that is where I always end up at the market..
Oh well when I get there full time I hope to be able to feed myself without casting greenback all the time.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:44 PM

comitan..charkbait.com is a great place, and I ordered 2 of all you suggested. Steel wire I know, but sleaves?...Crimps? How do I know what size sleave? Thanks.

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 08:50 PM

Bajalero, Thanks for your help, mucho appreciated. Gives me good starting points and I am sure I will do a lot of shore fishing. I will be there middle Dec to middle of April. Got to catch at least a couple:?::biggrin:

Albert G

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:07 PM

Al the site should tell you I believe A3 and A4 something I bought thats like the popper in the first shot, Pili poppers they are very good for shore fishing and you dont loose a lure in the rocks like the Kroc, I went to the factory site in Hawaii and bought them from them, think I got this info from Pompano. You don't need the wire if fishing close to shore(shouln't).

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:15 PM

AL after many years of Bass fishing I can tell you that those look like Bass plug and jigs to me. but I think if you put bigger hooks on them they might do good here. you just might invent some thing new:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:30 PM

Santiago, Diver and Russ... You guys are alot of help:rolleyes::tumble:
About as much help as I am...;) Russ, I was wondering who would find the boobie prize #16:lol: many years ago, twice I have had guys lose and forget the round thing. (I would never do that!!):lol::yes:

Albert G

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 09:53 PM

#4 is for offshore trolling, good for wahoo. Tuna too. Wire leader recommended.

#1, #3 Goofy looking, maybe good for muskies? #1 will run shallow, #3 will run deep for cabrilla or pargo. Some of these lures work well but need stouter 3x or 4x strong trebles for Baja fishing.

#2 A rapala type, good slow trolled over the reefs for cabrilla, pargo. Not as good as live bait, imo, but good.

#5, #6, #7 Poppers. Sometimes good, but usually not as productive as a krocodile or megabait, but when they work they are fun watching the fish blast them on the surface. Inshore, for ladyfish, pargo, maybe abrill and of course the mysteryfish that take them in a BIG splash and break you off. For dorado, fun, but watch out for them to rifle back at you when a jumping fish throws the lure!

#8. Popular freshwater design, but I forget what they call them. Might work in the salt, if the hooks hold.

#10 see #2

#16 looks like a variation of "plastics" used with leadhead jigs. Sierra and riggers tear them up. Popular for calico bass on the Pacific, but this looks like an off brand variation, or maybe the megabait variation.

#11. Feather jig. For casting/retrieving, and verticle jigging. An old stand by that I don't use myself.

#9 #13 #14 Troll these inshore for bonito and black skipjack, or offshore for tuna and dorado. Good old reliable standbys. You troll these faster than live bait to cover more water. How they are rigged is important; some attract fish but hooks bend or knots fail.

Lures are cool. There are only a handful of proven lures you need, but many more you may want. Buying and collecting fishing lures is not as fun as catching fish, but comes close. I'll always have a few really cool lures that I never seem to get around to using and that's fine with me.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2006 at 10:33 PM

take along a few shrimpfly setups with some chunk bait on the botton you wont go hungry
also some fly setups for catching bait heaver is best
broken back repolas or rebels from 3 to 8 inches in a blue makerel desine will im press a lot of fish from searra to marlin depending on the time of year and day use wire on the rebels will cut your costs
crocks are a must big bright and blueand silver
ill be in loreto jan 9th to feb 23 hope to see ya if your there hope all goes well might jerry

jerry and judi
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 01:41 PM

MOST all of them look like oversized fresh water lures. Replace the hooks and bring split rings to change them out while you're down there. Get beefy split rings.

Baja can be very forgiving on choosing the wrong lures. But you will probably still catch fish with these.

Shop around and see if you can find broken-back rapala type lures made by Megabait. They are very durable and much less expensive than the Pilis and Yo-Zuris, etc. Megabait was caught up in a patent infringement suit and has ceased production (at last check) but I still find them in tackle stores.

Arent you largely fishing the winter months? You want iron and deep divers. Surface lures will be of little use. If you're going to be fishing along the shore on the pacific side, definitely bring some Krocodiles, Kastmasters and PLASTICS. Get some 4-6 inch plastics in anchovy and sardine imos with 3/4 oz heads.

I also would not leave without a basic surf perch/corby setup. Some #8-12 bait holder hooks and some Gulp sandworms and sand crabs. Sliding sinkers above a fluorocarbon leader stopped by a barrel swivel.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 02:46 PM

Don Alley...I really appreciate your effort and I sure learned from it.
""Lures are cool. There are only a handful of proven lures you need, but many more you may want. Buying and collecting fishing lures is not as fun as catching fish, but comes close. I'll always have a few really cool lures that I never seem to get around to using and that's fine with me.""

Truer sentiments have never been spoken. The problem is when your an addict, but do not know "how to" use your collection. If you see me you better run, because eventually I will be asking for more lessons.:biggrin:

Albert G

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 03:08 PM

Hook,thanks for the info...and you are right, so far I only been able to fish the winter. I hope to change that next year.
I need to work at least 1 more year until everything kicks in. I cannot bail on my old clients over night and I think it is going to be a real struggle to cut ties. "I quit" sounds easy, but it does not work that way. Not if you are friends with them. WOW, did this get off track:lol::lol:

Albert G

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.