Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Old guy wants to cast to close in fish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 10:35 PM
Old guy wants to cast to close in fish

We plan a trip down the Baja in Dec. We plan to do some surf and panga fishing on the Pacific Coast.

I have lots of rods and reels. I am wondering what size rod, reel, line, lures I should use for shore fishing. What hook size for bait fishing from shore?

I am very satisfied with catching smaller fish from shore or from a Panga. I have landed a two hundred sixty pound blue marlin and a sixty three pound bull dorado. My days of deep sea fishing are now over. I have moved into the slow lane and want to be the guy in the lawn chair with his rod in a holder and a Pacifico in his hand.

What sort of outfit should I bring for Panga fishing close to shore. What size rod, what size reel and what test line, what lures?

What sort of outfit should I bring for casting from shore. Rod size, line weight, lures, bait?

I got some earlier response to this question and appreciate any other input.

Thanks,
Iflyfish

Thanks,

Ilfyfish
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 09:23 AM

I have been told by some Baja fishermen that a beach called Long Beach..Playa Largo..near Jesus Marie and Bahia Manuela (60 or so miles north of Scammons Lagoon) is a good surf-fishing spot for white sea bass amongst other species. As for the equipment needed I have little first-hand knowledge and will leave that to the good advice presented on this forum.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 09:37 AM

Each have their preferences but a typical surf casting rig is a spin casting reel with a long stick. As good a reel as you can afford and as long a rod as you can handle will get you longer casts. Many also use light conventional bait-casting reels.

Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:02 AM

I've used an Alvey reel and rod for years and love it for heavy surf which you will most likely encounter in Dec. Casting one takes a little practice but if you like surf fishing like I do take a look at them.

lero
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:05 AM

Iflyfish, do these surf rod/reel outfits have a baitcaster type reel or are they the spinning reel types? I imagine it makes a big difference.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

puzzled.gif posted on 11-14-2006 at 10:53 AM
best info.

Ifly fish we need to know where your headed norte or sur it makes a great deal of difference if you want the best info.
BAITCAST
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 11:11 AM

whistler....White sea bass search:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=search

Iflyfish..here's a great site for surf fishing info and equipment:

http://saltfishing.about.com/od/surffishing/a/aa040520a.htm

[Edited on 11-14-2006 by Summanus]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 09:30 AM

We are headed to Asuncion.

I have both level wind reels, that I use for Salmon/Steelhead and spinning reels that I use for Steelhead/trout.

I plan to cast both bait and lures from shore. I doubt I will bring a fly rod for this purpose.

I plan to do some trolling and bottom fishing from a panga.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Ilfyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 07:37 PM

I would imagine that some basic spoons, i.e. Krockadiles, Cleos would be productive as they mimic the rapid movement of wounded fish?

I would also imagine that simple pyramid weights with baited hook would suffice for bait fishing?

I would imagine that standard salmon/steelhead trolling rod with twenty to thirty pound test would be sufficient for trolling?

I would think that a good size trout rod would work for casting spoons to the surf?

Thanks,

Iflyfish
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
Iflyfish, do these surf rod/reel outfits have a baitcaster type reel or are they the spinning reel types? I imagine it makes a big difference.

???

Not sure who your responding to Summanus but if you're asking about the Alvey setup, the answer to your question is neither. It's kind of like a big fly reel only open on one side. When you go to cast , you rotate the whole reel 90 ° so the open side faces the surf. They have a large diameter spool so the line glides off easily and they will out cast anything else out there.

I was a little apprehensive of them at first but after seeing what they can do I'll never go back to a spinner for surfcasting.

lero
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 12:49 AM

Bajalero,

Thanks for the info. I plan on scoping the scene out this time with surf, bait, spoon. I will not take my fly rods with me this time.

I have seen those reels and they look cool. It is good to hear a report on them. If my physical capacities improve I may outfit myself with a reel like that. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Keep your tip up!:bounce:

Iflyfish
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 05:07 PM

Ifly fish make sure to take some lucky lures also called lucky joes to catch bait fish from shore. Good Luck
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2006 at 07:40 PM

Tommy A,
Thanks, will do.
Iflyfish
redjonson

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 07:03 PM

Great thread! I am also interested in fishing from shore but on the Sea of Cortez side in the 30-40-km sS of San Felipe this Feb-Mar...My first time.... I have a 10 foot rod with a big spinning reel that I used in Hawaii from the beach...The comment about not forgetting small gear to catch bait fish from shore is interesting.... Are fish traps or Pots allowed to catch bait or Game fish? Crab, Shrimp , lobster???
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 07:37 PM

red, I dont think traps would be looked upon too well . If you want some bait fish a small cast net would do the trick but that might be not much better than a trap depending on who's watching. I use a cast net myself but don't hesitate to ask one of the local fisherman to " show me how" if they're around . Personally I prefer artificials (unless you'll be after corbina) on the Cortez side as my method of fishing there is a lot differnent than the Pacific side.

As far as gear goes , for the cortez side I like a smaller , 7'-8' light fast action rod with a high speed bait caster for fishing the rocks. I usually cover a lot of ground walking along and pausing to cast . On ther Pac side I'm have more of a tendency to pull up a lawn chair and let the fish come to me.:yes:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 08:54 PM

10' rigs are more for ocean surf casting from the beach where the surf break starts out a ways. In the Cortez, you will rarely find this level of surf.
I like to wade in to my knees/waist and cast almost paralel to the beach, just outsie the surf line and retrieve through the surf.

Try crocodiles, shiny blue/silver minnows, shiny spinners small feathers or sabiki rigs and small rubber shrimp. A few pieces of string or yarn with some of your favorite stink can also help.
I like a 7' rig casting 45 degree to shore and retrieving through the break.
Most use spinning rods unless you are experienced with an open facer.
!0 - 15 lb line should be plenty near shore on the cortez side.
Unless, of course, you find some bottom structure near the shore, then try some jigging with a minnow or small shrimp or squid and hope for a grouper.

And have FUN !!!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2006 at 11:16 PM

You say "near shore fish".

So go ahead and rig that big stick and heave it out there as far as you can. Rig a live bait or strip bait about 3-6 feet after your weight. Retrieving through the sand with the weight dragging and skipping will stir some interest. Alternately letting the live bait swim free between reeling and you may get you a bite. I say "may" because shore fishing in northern Baja can be pretty spotty.

I have now told you all I know - not much, about shore fishing in the Cortez. For any that know better, please tell me off !! And tell me YOUR secrets !! :biggrin:

Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 07:04 AM

Diver: "You say "near shore fish".

So go ahead and rig that big stick and heave it out there as far as you can."

Thinking about heaving it out there...I was amazed to read about just how far the world's record surfcasters can cast.

Wow!..Can over 800 meters be correct?

Ah...I have visions of bracing myself on the beach and fighting a monster white sea bass out there on the ocean horizon. Careful...don't tip over the Pacifico.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 07:18 AM

800 meters...that's 2625 feet

that's 1/2 a mile or....

875 yards or....

8.75 football fields

that's a LONG way

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2006 at 07:24 AM

I have seen some amazing casts by sturgeon fisherman along the Columbia River. They put on some serious weight and use a 2x4 (I mean a STIFF stick !!)

Lets see; the river is about 1 mile wide near the fish hatchery and I have seen casts that looked like they went almost 1/4 the way across !

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.