Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing from an inflatable
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 10:39 AM
Fishing from an inflatable

Solo fisherman.. would like to get an inflatable(rigid type) to launch from the beach using my ATV... in Los Barriles area and have seen several on the water and the owners are pleased w/performance.. any brand specifics? wheels for launching from the beach? motor size/model?
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 12:02 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20790

Gee , you should check out the above thread and if you find anything else out share with
my husband!!!

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 03:51 PM

If you really want one, Quicksilver, Avon and Zodiac/Bombardier are all good brands. Look for the features you want. Just realize that you will be limited to calm days without much shore break unless you are really hearty. Mornings are often the best time for an inflatable in Baja. Make sure to get a handheld VHF and a flare kit, especially if you are going solo.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 06:00 PM

one thing is for sure its allmost imposable to sink it completly
and remember that the inside the boat is narrow usally about 3 foot
the pontoons over hanging the back and front shorten it up too so a 9 ft boat has about a 3ft by 6ft usable space
if you get a ridged hull ad a few hp they weigh a lot more i had a 10.5 avon with a 9.9 on it non ridged and with 2 people it would just get on to plane on a good day on a ridged id go with a 15 at least
my 13.5 navorina has a 25 suzuki on it and it really scoots
my bro has a new15 ft zodiac with a new50 hp johnson 4 stroke i have never had it wide open my self but it does scoot it also has a great seat system

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 06:29 PM

seeing im not busy ill write a book here
do you live in baja full time?? if not id sugest a roll up boat with a panell floor its lighter easyer to get it on and off the beach and a lot easyer to pack up and take it with you the new floors systems are pretty good
do you plan on keeping the boat under cover?? if you leave it in the sun it wont last near as long even a boat cover will help also never leave it full inflated in the sun or it will overinflate when it gets hot rear the seams
allways wash the sand out of the inside of the boat or the wave movment will grind right throu the fabric where ever its rubbing

jerry and judi
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-29-2006 at 09:14 PM

I have a 12' Nissan inflatable (discontinued with good reason) that I have used everywhere from Baja to Belize. I started with an 18HP 2-stroke Tohatsu (great motor), but the Belizeans stole that. I've since tried out a few other motors, but none were quite as "right." A 10HP Honda was OK, but lacked zip; I tried a Yamaha 4-stroke 20 HP, but it was so heavy it nearly folded the transom over and I had a very tough time lifting and walking with it over the sand. I'm still looking for a 15 - 20HP 2-stroke.

To answer your questions, I've tried using wheels, but all the ones I tried were too narrow and sank in the sand. With an outboard attached, a 12' is damn heavy, even for two people.

As Diver wrote, they are primarily flat water machines--I always plan my trip so that I am riding with the wind on the afternoon ride back, never pounding into the waves, but either way, it will be wet.

Jerry makes a good point that they don't like UV. I have seen them stored on the foredeck of sailboats and that tears them up badly in a short time. I keep mine rolled in the garage when I'm not traveling with it.

Inflatables have the advantage that they don't require a trailer, but they can be a pain to set up and break down, and if you are staying in a hotel and commuting to the beach for a few days, you will almost certainly choose to drink cervesas instead of inflating and deflating the boat every day. Some people would prefer the car-topper aluminum boat as an option.

To sum up, I like mine, but probably because I use it infrequently. If I was in Baja for months at a time, I would quickly become frustrated with the limitations of a 12' inflatable.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
I have a 12' Nissan inflatable (discontinued with good reason) that I have used everywhere from Baja to Belize. I started with an 18HP 2-stroke Tohatsu (great motor), but the Belizeans stole that. I've since tried out a few other motors, but none were quite as "right." A 10HP Honda was OK, but lacked zip; I tried a Yamaha 4-stroke 20 HP, but it was so heavy it nearly folded the transom over and I had a very tough time lifting and walking with it over the sand. I'm still looking for a 15 - 20HP 2-stroke.

To answer your questions, I've tried using wheels, but all the ones I tried were too narrow and sank in the sand. With an outboard attached, a 12' is damn heavy, even for two people.

As Diver wrote, they are primarily flat water machines--I always plan my trip so that I am riding with the wind on the afternoon ride back, never pounding into the waves, but either way, it will be wet.

Jerry makes a good point that they don't like UV. I have seen them stored on the foredeck of sailboats and that tears them up badly in a short time. I keep mine rolled in the garage when I'm not traveling with it.

Inflatables have the advantage that they don't require a trailer, but they can be a pain to set up and break down, and if you are staying in a hotel and commuting to the beach for a few days, you will almost certainly choose to drink cervesas instead of inflating and deflating the boat every day. Some people would prefer the car-topper aluminum boat as an option.

To sum up, I like mine, but probably because I use it infrequently. If I was in Baja for months at a time, I would quickly become frustrated with the limitations of a 12' inflatable.

:cool:I agree with the effects of UV. This applies to everything under the sun. I had an Ocean Kayak here in the states that was under the sun for about 5-6 years. One day it cracked to pieces. If I had thought about it, I could have expected it. Baja sun is many, many times more UV intense than up here.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 11:22 AM

that uv also go for gringos:bounce::bounce:::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-30-2006 at 04:14 PM

hey mike can you post for me on nomads it wont allow me to log on anymore i guess cuz my IP changed. guy looking for an inflatable, mine is 13.6 yukon hard bottom with a 40 hp tohatsu ( like new) motor, and galvanized trailer.

ok, this is a very nice one a friend has for sale in mulege. if yur interested i can hook you to him. send me a private email please.

in fact, if you don't take it i plan on buying it this spring - but 1st cash takes it.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 11:09 AM

So, are you guys using one of those portable transducers for your FF?

Gotta have a FF...........

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 12:26 PM

I mounted the transducer on a short pole that I can hold in the water while trolling. It will work for almost any FF at slow speeds.
I can clamp the pole to my 14' Alum boat as well.
I liked the idea better than throwing a tethered transducer and letting it float; they don't work when you're moving at all.
Put the battery in a "dry box" and strap it down or strap it to your gas tank.

[Edited on 12-1-2006 by Diver]
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2006 at 02:54 PM

I have a 14 ft Korean inflatable with a 15 caballos Honda that has been great. Mounting rod holders anywhere but the transom does not work though. It works best with 4 people to land it and roll it (with launching wheels) above the high tide mark. I love the portability but my trips always involve getting to one spot for the "kickback" part of the trip because I don't want to take it apart and put it back together all the time. I wouldn't think of going to Baja wihtout it!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2006 at 08:24 AM

we fished for years in a 10 foot zodiac with a 10 hp yamaha 4 stroke. it was easy to transport in the camper,but a little wind or chop chased us off the water.i have a 12 foot duroboat now, same engine.harder to lift on to the camper, but much better on the water Mike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.