BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: I have my FM3 but what do I do with it?
Waynester

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:20 AM
I have my FM3 but what do I do with it?

Greetings Everyone: First let me apologize for the question as I'm sure its been addressed before, but after 2 hours of searching, (mostly reading the interesting stories that came up) I still do not have the answers I'm looking for.

I'm about to depart for my journey south with my FM3 in hand, and I'm wondering what do I do with it?

I always cross at the main crossing at Tijuana, I'm guessing that I will take my FM3 to the same immigration office where I always got my tourist card in the past. Hopefully they will stamp it there. Is there a fee I need to pay at the border?

I got the FM3 in La Paz last February and I will renew it again this Feb. Do I need to check into the immigration office prior to this renewal to get it stamped?

Last year when I returned to the US, I did not have it stamped by any Mexican official. Do I need to get it stamped upon departing Mexico, and if so, where?

Lastly, If I were to fly into Los Cabos airport, could I go to the other immigration window for Mexican Nationals or do I still use the tourist line?

Thank you all very much for any help. Wayne.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:30 AM

I've had an FM3 for only three years and I guess that's not long enough 'cause I haven't figured it out yet.;D

Seems pretty clear-cut at the airport; there they stamp it and on leaving give you a paper to give back when you return. By car, hmmm...it's not easy geting an exit stamp at the border heading north. Entrance stamp, I did it once at TJ, they seemed to think I didn't need to, and once at Ensenada they said no stamp needed, same at Guerrero Negro. I took the bus from SD to Loreto once, never saw an immigration official.

So, I guess you could say that after 3 years of searching I haven't found the answer either.:biggrin:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 11:51 AM

Don't know about airport stuff - but FM3 does not require stamping on exit/entry. Get it stamped on exit if you might be late returning to where you renew it to save penalties.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:30 PM

The contract for the purchase of our condo says we have to have an FM3 for the fideicomiso......we don't plan to spend six months at a time there...
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
The contract for the purchase of our condo says we have to have an FM3 for the fideicomiso......we don't plan to spend six months at a time there...

Yeah, it's been my understanding that if you own real estate, or leave any vehicles, trailers or personal property behind in Mexico when you return north, you must have an FM3 or better.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 02:54 PM

if you own or rent property get your fm3 or you will not have any rights in mexico
P.S. might ask the Doc how that works?

jerry and judi
Waynester

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 03:24 PM

So, what I am understanding is that I do NOT need to get the FM3 stamped upon entrance or exiting Mexico. All I need to do is to renew it annually. Does this sound correct?

Then at the checkpoint in Guerrero Negro, I just show them the unstamped FM3 and continue on my way?? Sounds like there are some advantages to using the FM3.

PS: For information's sake, I do have property and a house along with a stored vehicle. I enter Mexico 2 to 3 times a year by car and by plane for vacation purposes and stay for about 60 days per year.

Muchas Gracias and Feliz Navidad! Wayne.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 04:45 PM

no stamps needed in or out

in guerrero negro they just write down the number when you cross going down

comming back to usa no checks

when you cross the border and have something to declare...
pull out the fm3 and you get much respect

fm3 covers your right to leave stuff in mexico when you're not there
there is NOTHING you can do if you do not have an fm3 and you leave...
your stuff MAY be taken

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 05:29 PM

We always have our FM3's stamped at Guerrero Negro when we go to the states and have it stamped at Guerrero Negro when we returned to BCS. Nobody has asked to see the stamp, but we always thought that was the protocol. Guess we'll keep doing it as long as it is so easy.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 05:34 PM

why stamp?

and

they don't stamp on Sunday at 6AM:yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:12 PM

Why not? They are always there and ready to oblige when we go through.

But we aren't crossing the BCS/BCN border at 6 a.m.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
Why not? They are always there and ready to oblige when we go through.

But we aren't crossing the BCS/BCN border at 6 a.m.

But why?? You're not leaving Mexico at that point, just going to another state.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 09:38 PM
Waynester

Just hold on to your FM3 and renew it every year as long as you have property in Baja. No need to get it stamped except at renewel. It is supposed to be good for only 5 years but nobody pays any attention to that. I had mine for over 15 years before I sold my home in Baja. Norte or Sur no matter.

Once in a blue moon someone 'might' come into your area to determine if you have possession of an FM3.

It does give you certain rights that are not available to someone that does not have one........most important one is that you will be recognized in court if you have that need.

The most important thing to remember is to enjoy and allow the Mexicans to teach you about time.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:10 PM

At the Loreto airport the airlines will not allow you to check in without first seeing the migracion man in an office in the deplaning area. He takes your FM3 and stamps it. He also fills out a form, with copies, you keep one two give back when you return, and a form for the airline so you can get checked through.

When told I would return via auto, the immigration official said to give the return form to the official at the Guerrero Negro check point. I did so but didn't get stamped. So I have an FM3 stamped that I am in the US. That's happened before and no one seems to care.

Yeah, I could have gotten stamped "in" at GN, I've gotten a stamp there before, but usually the stamp is inside, not on their little podium on the road, and they say I don't need the stamp.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:37 PM

Each different Immigration Office seems to apply their own spin on the "rules"! I drove out & flew home so I only had half a trip stamped & it WAS a big deal to the La Paz Immigration office when I renewed my FM3 a few weeks later! I had to talk with someone in a private office in back to explain the circumstances, show them date proof of my missing stamp & they provided the back-dated missing stamp to make me legal! :yes:
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-23-2006 at 10:45 PM

We've done it all over the past sixteen years of entering & leaving via automobile. I've been told by almost everyone that is an immigration official, you need to have your FM3 stamped when you come into their country. We've been stamped at the border. We've been stamped at Ensenada. We found that we can also get stamped at Guerro Negro. Even immigration officer in Loreto stamped us out one day, heading back to the states. Once we tried couple years ago to get stamped in at Ensenada & the officer said, "go back to T.J. & get it stamped there. That is the law"!!!!!! WE didn't. We continued on & got it stamped at G.N. Then headed on south. Once in Loreto, many years ago, one of the officers said we weren't "stamped in" at the border. Fined us both $50.00 each.
(who wants to argue with immigration officer) One time as we stopped at G.N. to get 'stamped out', a male i.o. said, 'no he won't stamp us out, as we will need to do it at T.J. No way am I going to park & get stamped out at T.J. then try to get back in line to cross the border!!!!!! I pleaded with him, and he finally said, "tell you what. You come back after Christmas & bring me box of mixed popcorn in the metal can with dividers. I about fell out of my shoes. (he's not there anymore I might add) I told him YOU BET, and he stamped our 3's & we were on our way. On way back after Christmas, we came through g.n. and office was closed as it was about 9 p.m. Next Christmas we came back through again on our way back to Loreto. And with another popcorn container. They were open, and we were advised that he got transferred. I didn't mention the popcorn.
Finished it by time we got to Loreto. Soooooooooo, I guess it depends upon who you listen to. And a little advice. Ask an immigration officer who speaks English well enough for you to understand. There is no foolin around with these fellows, and if you find one that hates gringo's like the one in Escondido, he can make your life very miserable. My opinion, is you MUST get stamped out IF you leave Mexico. Regardless of how many times you come & go. And by doing this what I think is correct, I sleep at nights knowing that if I'm in a car accident, and I'm asked for my tourist card, or FM3, I feel I'm safe. Yes I know there are those that don't sign in or out. To me they are taking a chance. And as I've read many posts here. When in Mexico, follow the laws, and you won't have any problems. So be familiar with the laws of immigration, and just follow them. Good luck.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 08:48 AM

I spent 20 minutes trying to get the immigration officer at Los Algodones to stamp mine with exit as I was going to be late returning for renewal. He only stamped it after a lot pleading with me. I have had the same experience in Mexicali with immigration there - very adamant about not being necessary and really don't want to do it.

No Bad Days

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni

If your condo is there, it means you are there.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 11:06 AM
apostille?????

how would i go about getting one?...what government agency would provide them? thanks in advance
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 12-24-2006 at 06:06 PM

depending on the FM-3 that you have you are allowed to leave as often as you want (rentista) for as long as you want (not longer than a year) or for not more than 30 days (lucrativa). When you leave you are obligated to go to an immigration office at your point of departure and obtain what they call the carta roja or the F.M.E. for foreigners (translation on the back says "statistical document for foreigners"). it's a multi part form and you get a copy. It's stamped along with your FM-3 on the page marked "Registro de salidas". Upon your return you surrender the form and get the page marked "registro de entradas" stamped. You don't have to wait in line with the foreigners, you can go directly to the line for nationals

You cannot leave the Cabo airport without surrendering a copy of your tourist visa or showing this carta roja. if you drive out then of course you can easily exit without getting it stamped although if you fly back then you will be reprimanded by immigration for not getting an exit stamp.

If your FM-3 shows an exit stamp and upon your return to an airport you don't have a carta roja to surrender they get peey and write "no omito" something or other which I cannot read.

In Cabo to get your FM-3 stamped upon exit allow about an extra 10 min and go to the doors where arriving passengers come in. Off to the right you will see a small entranceway with a guard and metal detector, just say you need to talk to la migra and they will let you in.

I have done it all different ways with all sorts of excuses for not having an exit stamp, they were closed, the stamp was out of ink, etc etc. As long as you have a good story ready there has never been a problem or a fine.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.