Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Magote? La Paz Harbour Fishing
gordfromborder

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:53 AM
Magote? La Paz Harbour Fishing

We have a casa close to Agua Marina RV Park. I love to fly fish and on those days when we aren't camping at Mag bay, Las Arenas or Punta Colorado, I would like to fish Magote.

I have both kayaks and a 13' inflatable that I can walk to the water from our place. I live for flyfishing and am fully equipped ( my wifes description, as fisher people know that we are never " fully equipped").

I am looking for info reguarding fishing Magote. Are there bonefish around in the winter? What other shallow water species are available? Any tips/ ideas would be welcomed. We should be in La Paz from Feb 15 untill early May. I am hoping to get my first Rooster fish and Dorado on the fly this winter.

Thanks for any help,

Gord
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 01:21 PM

Try looking at Gene Kira's website, "Mexfish.com". It contains many reports from Gary Graham and Baja on the Fly. You should get a lot of info there, as well as asking them for information. There are lots of shallow water species, but unfortunately, no bonefish...they're an Atlantic species. Good luck on your exploring...
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic
Try looking at Gene Kira's website, "Mexfish.com". It contains many reports from Gary Graham and Baja on the Fly. You should get a lot of info there, as well as asking them for information. There are lots of shallow water species, but unfortunately, no bonefish...they're an Atlantic species. Good luck on your exploring...

wRONG. Bonefish are in baja, but only on the pacific side.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 08:12 PM

they are in San Diego Bay, also. have caught numerous while targeting corv/bina.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 08:49 PM

Summanic. SHdC is the pacific.:lol::lol: Woody. Have seen reports of that also. Mostly during el nino though.

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-3-2007 at 08:52 PM

Somanic, get yourself a copy of the baja catch. or, perhaps, you know better.:P

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

lol.gif posted on 1-3-2007 at 11:49 PM

:lol::lol::lol:
you guys are funny

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 07:32 AM

I wonder why somainc would delete his post. I hope he can take a joke.:(

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 07:48 AM

Wrong!! I caught two bonefish from the beach at la gringa many years ago,could not believe my eyes,both were 9"or 10" long,they get them down Loreto way occasionally,there,s a guy from Holland who comes over once a year who targets odd ball catches with a fly rod,I,ve seen his pic a number of times with small bonefish from the inside.
BAITCAST
gordfromborder

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 09:56 AM

I have heard of bones being caught in Laguna Manuela ( north of G.N.) Went there with our fifth wheel to check it out about six years ago, but howling winds limitted fishing.

Well right or wrong, I will try for them in Mogote. Also will see what other species are available. I would think there should be mangrove snapper available.

Has any one tried to catch mullet? They look like they should be fun on a five weight rod.

Don't worry, we won't eat the fish from this area ( no glow in the dark species).

Gord
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 10:03 AM

...I stand corrected...there are Bonefish on the Pacific side...I just don't think they are the target species they are on the other side...
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 10:58 AM

Gord

The area of the mangroves in the bay is very shallow most of the time you could not get within fishing distance, but there are a couple areas in high tide would be fishable.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 05:16 PM

Right, Cocomo. Who would want to catch a bonefish anyway.:lol:

gordfromborder

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 05:35 PM

Minnow, I am assuming you haven't caught a bonefish,as they are absolute greased lightning when hooked. A three pounder will peel off 75 yards of backing in the blink of an eye. Your line rips through the water. And keep in mind this is in water that is about 12" deep. They live a very nervous life and survive through their speed and waryness. A premium on casting ability and stealth is required, not to the same extent as permit or roosters, but still challenging none the less.

Anyways, I am just looking for a diversion while we spend time in LaPaz (other than cervezas and other cool pastimes).

Gord
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 05:37 PM

Get in touch with Pam Bolles at the Baja Bigfish Company. She told me of taking clients to fish bonefish in Pt Escondido. I haven't caught them in baja but they're not the same fish as those caught in 15 inches of water on a coral flat.

http://www.bajabigfish.com/
http://www.bajabigfish.com/contact_index.html

I've caught snappers and cabrilla close to shore near the mangroves on crazy charlies and clousers. I've caught mullet with flies tied to look like green algae. I think I was successfull because I got into a large school of mullet and the odds were in my favor. I wouldn't fish to small groups.

Pompano will often school up and a crazy charlie stripped through the school will get a response. They're 2-4 lbs and a lot of fun on a 7wt. Both Punta Arenas seem to be a gathering place for this species.

The best way to catch dorado and roosters on a flyrod is to either (a) find a large school working baitfish or (b) chum liberally to bring them close to the boat and in a feeding mood. Chumming works best because you're somewhat in control but you need to find an active school before starting to chum. If you have a baitwell then chumming sardinas is best otherwise I chum with 1 inch squares of squid. When chumming sardinas I like to use an ALF pattern on a slow sinking flyline.

Other species you are more likely to run across: black skipjack and sierra mackerel. An 8wt would be suitable for either one.

Don't troll your fly. Boring ...

[Edited on 1-5-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

[Edited on 1-5-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

pompano.jpg - 36kB
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 05:43 PM

I have spent alot of time in the Keys, I know what a bonefish is. That is what you catch when there is nothing to catch worth eating around. The great thing about fishing in baja, for me, is that most of what you catch is worth eating. I really have little interest in anything else. That is not saying I kill or eat every fish I catch. I just eat every fish I kill.

As far as fly fishing, I have see guys catch everything the sea has to offer on a fly. Cast to all the usual places and you will hookup. Points, weeds, mangroves, and especially boils........

Nice pompano skipjack.

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by Minnow]

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by Minnow]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 06:28 PM

I've caught lots of bonefish around the Punta Chivato area while surf fishing with spoons and while out after bait. They are small, 7" to 15" at the largest, and not really too exciting compared to Corvina, the jacks or pargo. I mostly use 4# test from shore and a medium 7' rod so almost anything is a kick. Haven't figured out what all the hoopla is about the bonefish. They have to be a different fish than the East Coast ones. Lots of fish to catch so think variety. Good luck, Gord
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2007 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Haven't figured out what all the hoopla is about the bonefish.

The bonefish is the finest gamefish that swims. Better than dorado. Better than any of the billfish. Better than steelhead. Better than tarpon.

But not an 9 inch fish hooked in deep water. Once they reach deeper water they just stop running. They feel safe. It's the same on any flat. Once the fish has run over the edge, off the flat, it stops and just slugs it out.

There are big bonefish in warm waters all over the world. My best was a 28 inch - eight pounder in the south pacific. You can catch 10lb bones within sight of Honolulu. One of the best places for big bonefish are the Seychelle Islands in the Indian Ocean.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 06:24 AM

More on mullets,being veggie eaters they can be taken on a number of things namely moss and peas under casting bubbles,what worked really good was dough balls with green food coloring,and as Joe mentioned algae flys which are used in the UK where its a big thing with the fly rodders.

Mullet are bonefish that jump,strong,run like hell and a ball to catch on light tackle,also they get fairly large,my best was close to 4#and have read that 10# or 12# is the max I found them very tasty.
BAITCAST
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 08:01 AM
Pacific bonefish information

Good bonefishing can indeed be had in the Pacific, although the ones caught off the Alta and Baja California coasts are not quite the size of the beauties hooked at Christmas Island in the South Pacific. This remote island offers what is perhaps the best bonefishing in the world, with vast numbers of fish - and some very big ones - on easily waded, clean, hard, white sand flats. Experienced flats fishers will often average 10 or 15 bones a day, with a 20-plus fish day possible anytime.

Trophy bones are always possible there. Numerous reports of weighed and measured 10-14 pounders..and even larger fish have been spotted, hooked and lost.

Anglers are using fly, baitcasting or spinning tackle on the flats while bonefishing and also along the lagoon edges and in the surf. Some flyfishermen are going to Christmas Island with hopes of breaking IGFA line class records for these amazing fish. From my own Florida Gulf experiences, I think hunting and targeting a bonefish is the second best thing you can do in shallow water.

Years ago we used to catch mullet and good-sized lisa from the sandy shallows in Baja Sur's Conception Bay with our ultra-light spinning gear using crappie flies or doughballs on 2lb. test. (Before it was taboo, we threw our castnets) Besides just being fun to catch on light tackle, those mullet and lisa made great bait for our trips to the Frojoles Rocks and some nice grouper/pargo dinners.

Table fish? Don't think so. I have never heard of any sportsfisherman targeting bonefish for dinner purposes, other than some remote Bahamian islanders. But hey, go for it if you want!

To get your blood boiling, here's a photo of a Christmas Island bonefish.

[Edited on 1-5-2007 by Summanus]

- Christmas Island bonefish.jpg - 22kB

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.