Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Calafia hotel restaurant
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 09:53 PM

last time I was there the margaritas, chips and guacamole were great!!!.....and a killer view
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 10:33 PM
Calafia

I agree, the setting at Calafia is spectacular. In the mid to late 50's it was our favorite spot to dive and surf in the cove immediatly north of the now cliffside resturant. The lobster and abs were plentiful, we would cook them on the beach. Going there now brings back great memories, the only thing that is the same is the surf, even the sand is gone.
k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2007 at 10:45 PM
nice view

r u talkin' Buena Vista?
If so, yea this place is fantastique. (can't believe real estate values in this neighbourhood of late!?)
If not, donde???
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 03:51 PM

Back then it was called locally, Louie's Beach. Not sure what name it has now.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:15 AM

i love their baked cheeze appetizer dip deal with ground hog sausage crumbles, in fact i just decided to make some for today's games!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Back then it was called locally, Louie's Beach. Not sure what name it has now.
let me throw some names at you. Tom Carlin, Deshler Whiting, Bill Gove, Dirk Jennings. I remember Louie's well. Surfing; then diving for bugs, boiling them over a fire, then dipping the meat into a Mexicali beer can full of butter; yum! yum!
Did you ever surf the break about 1k north of the halfway house. Not many people new about it. WELCOME aboard.:spingrin:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 06:46 PM
Bancoduo-------

-----those names?????? Heck, I know all those guys, with the possible exception of Bill Gove (but even that name sounds familiar). I went to school with them, partied with them, etc., tho I was on the perifery of that "group". Are you from Coronado???

I have spent many an evening at Calafia, back in the 50's,60's, and 70's, and even early 80's----------a truly wonderful place, and a place where I always took my dates to impress them, and introduce them to Mexico.

And "Louie's beach" was a favorite hangout and dive place for us, too.

Is "Vince" possibly the notorious "Dr. Vince ------" of Coronado?? And who are you??? (u2u me??)

What fun!!!!

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:07 PM
bajaeng-----

----it was really, really good------we were never skunked when taking "bugs" there, and yes, one of the many places was at Louie's beach. BUT, you are really taxing my memory to remember exactly where "Louie's" was in relation to the now existing Calafia. It was not there in the early 50's, as I recall.

You have to remember that we also routinely took bugs off of La Jolla, too, in those days, but of course La Jolla got cleaned out pretty fast, and then we started going to Baja where they were much more plentiful. There were also many abs off La Jolla, and in Baja, that were taken for personal use. The La Jolla dives were in the early 50's, as were my dives in Baja. The diving was amazing, back then. You seldom had to dive down more than 15 feet max.. for abs and bugs. We were only free diving back then----no scuba, at least for me.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:23 PM

I am not a diver, but I remember popping abs off the rocks in La Jolla cove at low tide by just bending over at the waist........Same for many of the small coves along the Pacific Coast in Baja..................the mention of hot butter in a beer can really brought back the glory days of the 50's and 60's.

Last time I had abs was at the Cave of the Tiger Restaurant just sorth of Ensenada............that was about 15 years ago.

I'm sure you all know that at one time Califia was where the border between Baja and Alta California was drawn....roughly east toward Yuma.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:35 PM

Bernie ---
I thought that old line was drawn just north of Rene's, south end of Rosarito. There's a sign in that area saying this.
I suppose , like everything else in Mexico, facts will drift around till they find a comfortible place to lite.
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:43 PM
Dennis

Drop in at Califia Hotel/Restaurant and see the history gallery they have showing it as the 'spot'.....................they used to have an old marker in their display.

It is tough even getting in there now with all of the hi-rise construction.

Remember when they served dinner down on the 'old Spanish Galleon' at the foot of the stairs................After a while the help just refused to run up and down all of those stairs................

You are right about the drifting stuff.

[Edited on 1-8-2007 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 07:59 PM
Bernie-----

------now that is a "fact" that completely escaped me--------I do not remember, or perhaps never knew, that the old border ran anyplace other than where it is now-------are we talking about pre-Gadsten Purchase days??? or what??

Barry
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:04 PM

I believe it had to do with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago. One story goes that the Mexicans were unhappy because they could not ride their horses from the mainland to see what was what in Baja so they convienced the Americans to move it to where it is now so they would have a land bridge to Baja.

Another was that was the border between to two California's, California(which became Baja California and Alta California which became California) about the time that the good Padre came up to Alta California to establish Missions in a much nicer climate.

[Edited on 1-8-2007 by Baja Bernie]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:07 PM
Bernie-----

-----as good a "reason" as any------------glad we accomodated them.

Thanks, Bernie.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:13 PM

Oh yeah Bernie, I remember the Galleon. I love Calafia....what a beautiful setting.
Bernie, do you recall the Kontiki in Ensenada? The in-water restaurant for which you had to negotiate a swinging, looping gangway to board the vessel? The floating diner, when it wasn't stuck on the bottom, would bob on the swell and list to one side or the other for no apparent reason?
Boarding the craft required all your empty hands hanging on but going ashore would often require a crawl of sorts.
As I said earlier, Bernie, these memories are the best part. Thanks again.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Drop in at Califia Hotel/Restaurant and see the history gallery they have showing it as the 'spot'.....................they used to have an old marker in their display.

Bernie, everything in the "gallery" is manufactured BS.

Most all the tourist traps have invented their own history. However, there was something penciled on the men's room wall of the Halfway House that I tend to believe. It said, "John Wayne pi$$ed here."

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 12:51 PM
Dave

I would really like your evaluation of all of the 'history' posted in the lobby of the Rosarito Beach Hotel.

I guess the only thing that I can really believe in is that your sandwiches are always fresh and outstanding AND the DESSERTS are out of this world.............in fact one could say they were out in the desert.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 01:05 PM
Okay, Okay

I got off my lazy butt and found my reference for part of my statement about Califia and the border..............................

Baja Legends by Greg Niemann page 99......This Dominican-Franciscan boundry was also designated in 1777 to separate New Spain provinces of Alta and Baja California [at Califia].

I know I also have a reference about the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo changing it to the current border.............but I just got better things to do than dig it out.

Off to Costco in hopes of meeting Captain Mike's lady's friends.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 07:51 AM
Dave

Okay, Back from Costco—no luck.

Got off my butt and here is the information about the current border between Baja California and California.

History
With the exception of a small number of minor Rio Grande border disputes, since settled, the current course of the border was finalized by the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the 1853 Gadsden Purchase.

US-Mexico boundary marker and adjacent fence near southwestern corner of Coronado National Memorial.
Whether the border between Mexico and the breakaway Republic of Texas followed the Rio Grande or the Nueces River further north was an issue never settled during the existence of that Republic, and the uncertainty was one of the direct causes of the 1846–48 Mexican-American War. An earlier agreement, signed during the Mexican War of Independence by the United States and Imperial Spain, was the 1819 Adams-Onís Treaty, which defined the border between the republic and the colonial empire following the Louisiana Purchase of 1804.

http://www.answers.com/topic/united-states-mexico-border

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 11:46 AM

Bajaeng- The cove is the next one north of Calafia, it looks entirely different now, as the sand has been washed away, but right in that vicinity we would get 30 or so people together, on a weekend, surf and dive. Some of us would just get abs and use the boards to store them on, the abs would attach themselves to the top of the board and then push the board to shore full of abs, mostly green, some black. One time I popped 5 or 6 blacks at once all on top of eachother. Of course, we would have the standard innertube with a gunnysack tied to it for the bugs, fish and abs. On those weekends we would eat all we took and maybe catch a bullfight on the way home. Now, gringos cannot take anything out of that area except fish.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.