Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Availability of baked- or grill-fish/shrimp tacos
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:09 PM
Availability of baked- or grill-fish/shrimp tacos

I was just reading a travel guide that mentioned breaded-and-deep-fried-fish tacos. It occurred to me that perhaps it is usual for the fish or shrimp in Baja tacos to be breaded and deep fried.

So, is it generally possible to get tacos with grilled or baked fish or shrimp (rather than breaded and deep fried)? Is that the usual fare at most taco stands in Baja?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:15 PM

No.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:28 PM

A guy ordered a Cesar salad without dressing the other day:rolleyes:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:32 PM

Jesse might fix one for you but don't think any stand will. No grill and no oven.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:39 PM

If you are looking for low fat fish taco's in La Paz right across the street from Jessie's place there is a place that has low fat fish taco's but better get there before 12-12:30 or they will be out.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:56 PM
Jesse------

A true story------

We went out to dinner with a friend the other day------he ordered a "Ceasar Salad" (by name) with 1000 Island dressing---------What is the world coming too????? :o
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
No.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comitan, I'm a bit confused here as to what "no" means.

So, does "no" mean "Tacos with grilled or baked fish or shrimp _are_ generally available at Baja taco stands?" Or does that mean the usual fare at most Baja taco stands is breaded and deep fried?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 06:49 PM

Almost all have deep fried and battered fish & shrimp taco's. One exception that I know is posted above.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 06:52 PM

Right... fish are dipped in batter and grill or deep fried... never had 'breaded' fish in tacos (in Mexico). I did hear of them in New Jersey from someone once!!??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 07:18 PM

hea richard you must be just about on your way?? have a safe trip dont worry br happy hope to see ya in loreto ill show you the best fish taco stand in all of baja
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 07:40 PM

Gonzalez Bros. tacos in La Paz, the restaurant up the stairs downtown, offers a choice of battered and fried or grilled tacos. The grilled tacos cost more, 20 pesos. Shrimp, fish.

In Loreto I haven't seen grilled fish or shrimp tacos, just fried.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 08:45 PM

yup don but del rays will make you forget all about the frying

jerry and judi
RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 02:39 AM

By "breaded" I meant to include "battered". Nutritionally, they are about the same although I guess the texture is different.

comitan, thanks for the clarification. bajalou too.

So now I'm wondering if trans fat (or even lard) is typically used for the cooking "oil". Albertson's uses crisco (trans fats) for its deep fried chicken. New York City, I think, has outlawed the use of trans fats for cooking in restaruants. And I've seen other articles in this vein -- something about trans fats at MacDonnald's or Wendy's or something like that.

Trans fats and saturated fats (e.g., lard) are considered by the medical profession to be hazardous to cardiovascular health.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:15 AM

Richard, good luck finding nothing but healthy food on your travels in Mexico. If you're that serious about it, your best bet is buying all your own ingredients and making your meals. That's a very inexpensive and usually very available option in most parts of Mexico.

Most all cooking oil at the stands in Mexico is vegetable based oil. Too expensive to actually boil stuff in lard.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:19 AM

Richard

If you are watching your Saturated fats etc as I am, I go to the taco stands that have the carne asada BQ'd less fat than the deep fried fish, also go to a carnitas stand for tacos and ask sin grasa, these are your best bets IMHO.

RICHARDH
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
..., your best bet is buying all your own ingredients and making your meals. That's a very inexpensive and usually very available option in most parts of Mexico.

That's a very good use I have in mind for my utility trailer, especially for remote camping. I'm planning to carry lots of canned beans -- and a few other canned vegitables for variety. Fixing meals ought to be a pretty simple affair and allow more time for exploring wilderness. Taste is pretty good too.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 09:22 AM

If I can't get grilled, then I usually peel/pick the batter/deep-fry-skin off of my fish before I eat it. Removes most of the added artery-clogging early-death-inducing golden goodness.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 03:50 PM

Richard...here is the deal....fish tacos in Baja are fried. You can find them in restaurants grilled but not the side of the road taco stands that have THE best tacos. If you put lotsa fresh salsa on them, I figure that they have got to be healthy.

If you go for carnitas as Comitan suggested, ask for lomo(tenderloin) which tends to be leaner.

jerry, have you ever tried the tacos de cabeza at del Rey...yummy and they are not fried;);D

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 05:59 PM

judy is that the head meat taco i know people really like them and a good mexicano friend of mine used to say (may he rest in peace) try to get the one with the eyeball its the best
turned me off but i know he has the best fish taco

i got a lot of gutts but i dont want to see them lol

jerry and judi
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-7-2007 at 06:11 PM

Hey RICHARDH,

I don't care for deep fried either.... even del Rays... (not to mention the wait most often ~ when he bothers to open...). Just too much oil / grease for me in deep fried fish or shrimps...

I've a few favorite spots where they have a fire grill / BBQ, and they've done skewered shripms and veggies (onions, pepers, tomatoes) for me, and then I put them in their warm tortillas with fresh salsa, and voila ! !

Might work for you....

NOW I'm hungry ! !

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.