Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Rey del Taco, Loreto
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-8-2007 at 11:25 PM
El Rey del Taco, Loreto

Mostly because I love her so much I have sort of remained on the side of Mc Lulu's for my fish tacos in Loreto. I like her style, but I've decided I prefer the food at El Rey del Taco. It is located southeast of the old downtown Pemex. Fifty meters east of the Taxi Stand.

Some years back when it was El Rey de Tacos Pescados the stand had a sink inside to wash your hands, and a communal terry cloth towel.

Things have changed a bit. There is a "fixin's" bar with a sneeze guard on the south wall, and paper towels at the sink.

Each individual fish taco is served with two corn or flour tortillas. The fish can be divided and two dandy tacos for the price of one. We have always found the greens fresh the salsas tasty, and after years of trying I finally got the secret recipe for the white sauce.

A standard round of soft drinks is available.

In addition to fish, many meat specialties are served as the market provides.

Lightning fast service. Lots of smiles and hustle and bustle. This is a busy stand. Hours of operation can be "iffy". It seems they are often closed by 2:00. Others will know more.

Really yummy spot on the money fish tacos.

san javier 2006 119.jpg - 48kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-8-2007 at 11:28 PM
Your genial hosts. Familiar faces to many.

san javier 2006 123.jpg - 43kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 05:28 AM

Simply the best. The only dissapointment is when you realy want one and they are closed.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 08:28 AM

And the trick, when they are busy...?

Don't wait outside at the window... (last priority, regardless of who came first, second, etc.). :yawn:

Go inside and order (second priority):

Best bet, is to go inside and sit down: (their first priority ~ get those folks served so they eat and then make room for waiting (inside) customers. :light:

It doesn't appear to be exact science, since familiarity and phone oreder tweak the system a little, but.....

Shing and I learned the hard way (and received a few laughs from regulars in the process.... not sure if it was initiation of hazing, since we've been many times). :?:

Nice folks, nice place, and Shing is crazy for their tacos!! (and she knows what she likes ! )

Good to hear from you, Phil.
djh ~ david.

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 08:52 AM

You do not need to settle for soft drinks. There are always coolers of fresh made lemonade and orangade. To observe the speed with which this two, or sometimes now three, person assembly line works is alone worth the trip. Often when I sit down at the counter a fish taco appears in front of me before I have time to place an order. Los tacos del rey are far and away the best in Loreto.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 09:09 AM

I could not agree with you guys more. THE BEST
And as I mentioned in another thread, if you are going to try tacos de cabeza this is the place. I have never seen any eyes but I have always understood that you have to get there early for the best parts.
;D

It is one of the cleanest taco stands you will ever see. I love the fact that they do not touch money with their bare hands. That is the reason that I decided if I were ever going to eat cabeza it would be there. I was not disappointed. The meat in the head is steamed, moist and very tasty...come on you Baja brave ones, try one sometime

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 09:49 AM

I'll add a little more history here. When we first discovered El Ray Taco's, Franciscos father owned the business. Then over the years, eventually "dad decided to retire, and Francisco took over. Now it is his wife & himself that serve the most delicious taco's you'll find anywhere In fact. About five years ago, we had friends from Washington come to visit. We took them to Francisco's tienda. Ever since, when they email us, it starts with "taco-taco-taco". I've gone on record to say that after eating Francisco's tacos, they will be the "mark all other taco's will strive to be measured by"!!!!!!!!And so far, I've not found another anywhere that compares. AND, McLulu's included. And if your traveling further south, Francisco's father has opened a store as your enter Cuidad Insurgentes. As you come to the highway that connects La Purisima & Constitucion, turn north toward La Purisima. Go about 1/2 block, and watch for white building on the right. Park in front or I guess on the north side of the building. I don't know their "openAbierto" days or hours. But if they are open, prepare yourself for an extraodinary treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I could not agree with you guys more. THE BEST
And as I mentioned in another thread, if you are going to try tacos de cabeza this is the place. I have never seen any eyes but I have always understood that you have to get there early for the best parts.
;D

It is one of the cleanest taco stands you will ever see. I love the fact that they do not touch money with their bare hands. That is the reason that I decided if I were ever going to eat cabeza it would be there. I was not disappointed. The meat in the head is steamed, moist and very tasty...come on you Baja brave ones, try one sometime

Can't wait to get to Loreto and try this place. However, we once had Tacos de Cabeza in a small town on the mainland---they were good, but I am just not the brave type---I could not get past the yuk factor, so I will stick to fish tacos. :yes:

John is much braver---in fact, he was the one who insisted we try the Tacos de Cabeza, but then again, when we were in Ecuador, he tried a bite of BBQed Guinea Pig from a street stand. It is a national specialty, but when I was offered a bite, I lied and said I was a vegetarian. :tumble:

Always looking for great fish tacos---looks like it will be Feb. before we can get out of here---can't wait, and Loreto is just one of my favorite places.

Not touching the money is a REAL plus

Diane

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 01:11 PM
Phil S

Last time over to San Juanico, we were on the way home and fortunantly had a Loreto local with us, as we passed thru C.I. I said how bout a taco, and presto, Martin hung a uee, to what I belive is Franciscos place. If Rey is closed I might drive over there! Oh yea, reason for edit, you GOT to have cabeza!

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by Phil C]
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 05:28 PM
Tacos del Rey

Here is Paco the elder with his wheels well settled in the mud about twenty feet from where his son and daughter-in-law are currently (sometimes) keeping the little gold mine cranking. They've been closed since before Christmas, and I'm hungry for one of those fish tacos.

PacoSr01W.jpg - 49kB
Julie
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 08:13 AM

El Rey is simply the best. When Fransisco has been closed for a few days and reopens word spreads quickly and the rush is on. We have many regular guests at The Iguana who fly in and don't arrive until after he closes. They put their order in with us and the tacos are waiting in their room when they arrive!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 12:23 PM
WAY better than a piece of chocolate on the pillow!

Can't beat that!

Bill Kauth

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 02:11 PM

Before you make up your mind on the best in town, be sure to try Cesars. I have tried both many times and prefer Cesars, the food is at least equal to El Ray and the view is great for people watching. Maybe its time to do a taste test again.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 02:27 PM
Dan...where is Cesars?

Bill Kauth

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 05:21 PM

Ceasars, (mispelled the first time), is located across the street from Pinedas real estate office on the main drag. Covered outside seating, and a mesquite bbq for the carne offerings.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 06:09 PM

Oh I know it, I didn't know the name. They DO make a good fish taco. Their coating is more "bread-like", and thicker. I like Francisco's thinner approach. :lol: Can I get a grant to do a study and publish the results?

Bill Kauth

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 06:17 PM

I like Caesar's (especially the shrimp tacos) and Super Burro for carne. But also, try Rigo's. They're good too!

Caesar's is an afternoon place, seldom open at night. Super Burro and Rigo's are night-time places.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2007 at 07:20 PM

Super Burro is king, my favorite place to eat in Loreto.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 08:05 AM

I know El Rey, Caesar's and Super Burro, but where is Rigo's?
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2007 at 09:45 PM

Rigo's is downtown, next to Roger's "Desportes" shop
> Oldtime place to get great tacos at night.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.