Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing gear expenditures
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 11:45 AM
Fishing gear expenditures

While the wind still blows and I can’t get out to fish right now, I’m taking the time to repair and maintain my fishing tackle. I consider fishing “a sport” and the gear is my “sporting equipment”. Some of the rods and reels are expensive so I try to take care of them on the boat, during the sporting contest. All the gear undergoes incredible abuse by use and elements at sea. I’m often amazed at how long the most fragile of the things can be safely and effectively used.

Sand and saltwater combine to jam up and wear away delicate reel parts, rod hardware – plastic lures, steel hooks don’t stand a chance with sun and salt, wear and tear, damage by big fish with big teeth and bad attitudes.

I have enough gear and lures for now if I carefully maintain and protect all the stuff – I usually have at least one or two extra rods and reels in the boat in case of equipment breakdown while at sea. Fishermen aren’t the only ones who need a lot of reserve equipment. Major league baseball games use up 5 to 6 dozens baseballs in an average game (the rules call for there to be 90 brand new balls on hand for each contest).

When one considers all the various types of sporting equipment and accounts for their average uselife it is really amazing how little equipment turnover I have. I have not purchased new equipment for quite some time – anything friends can’t bring me from the states will have higher prices here because of import duties and transportation fees. The selection here is very limited compared to my online opportunities to keep my gear at or near a level where I can have a fair chance at a fair fight.

Since my wife, Lynda, knows little about saltwater fishing, fishing equipment perhaps she could see her way clear to allowing more household money for my one and only sporting activity if she heard from others who might post on the Nomad board to give her a better idea at the new equipment budgets of other Nomads.

Thanks in advance.
Osprey

Cc: Lynda
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 11:56 AM

budgets????
Tell Lynda to be glad you are not a rookieeeee
I have wiped out half my gear in 2 years.... I did not buy expensive stuff, but I am glad I don't have to explain to anyone.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 02:10 PM

Thinking of 2 reels, a Penn 4/0 high speed and a Shimano tld 25. Expect I'll wear out before they do.:lol:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 04:04 PM

I have a couple of things on my list. First, two Sevenseas jigging rods. The Atomic Sword model. Usually I make my own, but I can't get blanks so I'll have to buy the factory rods. About 250,000. But that's yen, not dollars, so they're cheaper than that.:lol:

viewpic.php.jpg - 8kB
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 04:06 PM

And to go with my Atomic Sword rods, I want some of their T shirts:

Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 09:38 PM

I just say a little prayer each night before I go to bed
"Dear Lord, if I should die before I wake, please do not let my wife sell my fishing equipment for what I said I paid for it"!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 10:12 PM

Don,
The rods look nice, and I have a little shopping I'd like to do too, but don't plan on being seen inpublic with me if you're wearing thoes shirts!

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Don,
The rods look nice, and I have a little shopping I'd like to do too, but don't plan on being seen inpublic with me if you're wearing thoes shirts!

THAT I understand, Paula - :biggrin:>f<

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 08:51 AM

I understand where you're coming from, in terms of justifying the expenditure to your wife. I think you are taking the right tact by pointing out that it really IS your only hobby. Maybe point to other neighbor's husbands who seem to collect "man-toys" like some women collect shoes. This could be especially true on the East Cape these days?

One other very practical tact (for your budget and in wife justification) is to buy used fishing gear, especially reels. Now that fuel prices are where they are, and fishing restrictions along the Pacific just get more cumbersome, many people are getting out of saltwater fishing. Even the long rangers are having trouble filling boats, whereas just a few years ago, it was waiting lists.

Plus some guys just have to have the latest, greatest every year..........no matter that last year's models were also state-of-the-art.

Then there's the guys who have a newborn and see the writing on the wall.........and there goes their boat and their tackle. The antithesis of this, a divorce will also do this especially if the wife finds out what all that tackle REALLY cost (right, Alan?) It's more common than you think.

I'd consider buying used stuff off of Allcoast's Buy and Sell Board. That's what I do. Very active, very good prices, stuff generally based in SoCal. Then, send the stuff to Hawk, the moderator off the Tackle Board on the same site, for a simple checkup to make sure drags are fine and bearing are lubed. No need to have lots of stuff "Cof'ed or Cal'ed" if you buy good stuff like Shimano, Daiwa, Pro Gear, etc. But Hawk will also put on aftermarket frames, too. He's real reasonable and you will be $$$ ahead over buying new stuff. It's common to find reels already spooled with spectra and a topshot, too.

'Course, it's probably essential that you have a contact (a kind of agent) in the SoCal to handle some of this. Many people conduct these purchases solely by mail to get it from the seller and to Hawk (or directly to Hawk).

If you have a SoCal contact, this is a cost-effective way to go. And eventually, someone off the Nomads board could carry the stuff down to you, if shipping in Mexico is a problem.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 09:19 AM

That's good advice from Hook.

Actually, the Atomic Sword is out of my price range.:lol: (Darn!)

But another two speed Avet is not, nor is a continuous supply of rod blanks. How's the new Pro Gear lever drag? Fred Hall, here I come!

I spend a lot on tackle. Not as much as I have in the past on flyfishing; I needed a whole store for all my inventory.:lol:

But here's one way to look at it: I don't have a $45,000 pickup truck to pull it and a Grady White around. No ATV, no snowmobile, no handguns or rifles, no California real estate, and I have cut back on Martin Guitars.

:biggrin:
Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 08:35 PM

Actually my comment about hiding the true price of my equipment was in jest. She knows exactly what it costs because she has bought a good deal of it for me. As she says, it makes Christams and birthdays so much easier for her.

I agree that as far as the various sports go, fishing, even saltwater fishing is comparatively inexpensive and I even include my boat and the Duramax I pull it with.

Perhaps you could take up golf! Let's see KMart Special clubs starting around $300 but that won't last long. Once you decide to golf seriously and improve your game you will want a set of Callaways or Pings starting around $1000 but of course you're going to need that $500 driver. Green fees hovering around $100 at least a couple times a week so you don't lose your swing and perhaps annual fees for the Country Club membership - What is it now? Around $30,000 annual dues at a lesser club plus a monthly bar tab whether you drink or not.

How about snow sports? Start around $800 for the very basic equipment, snowboard, skiis, bindings and boots. Lift tickets a minimum of $50 but usually closer to $100. $200/night to stay in the local hotel. $500 for the outfits because you will only try levis once. But remember we want "Family" activities to strengthen our bond with our kids so recalculate for a family of four.

Perhaps off-roading? Trust me, she won't even want to go there!

As already mentioned along with some very reputable brand names, always buy quality over quantity. Bargain equipment never is a bargain. Besides having very short expected life spans it is likely to fail at the most inopportune moment but worse than that is they just don't fish well. You will spend more time fighting your equipment than your fish so you miss the whole purpose of fishing - the enjoyment.

If your budget is very limited it is possible to purchase quality equipment used. I think you can save a few bucks but most that I have seen, if it is quality equipment it doesn't lose much value over new. The Internationals and Tiagras that I have seen offered are nearly what I can find NIB on sale. Another site for occassional deals on used tackle is www.bloodydecks.com

But I guess all of these responses have digressed from your original question. I now have a pretty good arsenal of equipment to address the various fishing situations that present themselves... bait, jigs, troll, inshore, offshore, etc. and I now have quality equipment that has and will continue to last me for years.

Typically I expect to pay betwee $150 - $400 for a reel depending on purpose. I build my own rods because it is just an extension of my hobby and as you say some days the winds blow, so my cost is $100-$200 for components. An off-the-rack rod would typically run in the neighborhood of $200 and double that for a tuna stick. Lures $3-$30. Hopes this helps
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-7-2007 at 09:28 PM

Honey,
Most of the better gear will be a one time purchase, it will be with me for the rest of my life. So over the long run it pays to get quality, just like when I picked you sweetheart. { Smile and a kiss usually goes a long ways right here}

Then go shopping...:lol:
BTW try Noahs tackle they are online and are great guys.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Honey,
Most of the better gear will be a one time purchase, it will be with me for the rest of my life. So over the long run it pays to get quality, just like when I picked you sweetheart. { Smile and a kiss usually goes a long ways right here}

Then go shopping...:lol:

FRANK:
:biggrin: Hope she doesn't read this!! otherwise you might end up next time NOT SHOPPING a thing - :lol: >f<

OSPREY - to make a NON fishing person understand about the expenses, relate it to the expenses of her hobbies.
On the other hand - while bringing home fresh catch to eat, which saves MONEY to be paid otherwise on the market, is a good argument too! ;D >f<

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
and I have cut back on Martin Guitars.

:biggrin:

Don: now let's not go overboard here.....
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 08:54 AM

I use a lot of castmasters lures and last winter i decided to make my own went to wallmart bought some tea spoons all metal one also treble hooks and split rings , cou the spoon end off the spoon using the handle cut and trim the handle to the shape and size you want drill a hole in each end and put hook and rings on haven't tried them in mexico but they work good in colorado cant say i saved a lot of money proably 50 cents a lure , but was something to do in the winter

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.