BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Aluminum boats and outboards???
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 04:03 PM
Aluminum boats and outboards???

Thinking of getting back to fishin the SOC Islands around BOLA and Loreto after a10 year layoff. We had a whaler and now thinking about a welded aluminum hull, outboard 4-stroke power, we will trailer down and also use at lake Powell and other Colorado river lakes. Open to suggestions, we will be buying next year doing the research now.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 04:17 PM
Boat

Gregor!! Mine's now 32 years old and just fine.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2007 at 05:35 PM

http://www.gregorboats.com/oseries.htm
Just push it with a nice and quiet Yamaha 4 stroke.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2007 at 09:46 PM

I've had a 15.5' gregor tin boat w/25hp 2-stroke and for the last few years a 16.5' center console klamath tin boat w/50hp 4-stroke.
Both gregor and klamath are great boats for the cortez and all that you mentioned. I'd difinately go with a center console. My gregor wasn't and it sure is nice to have for any number of reasons now.
Also go with a 4-stroke for fuel economy, no oil mixing and sure is quiet compared to 2-stroke.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 12:50 AM

I'm looking for a Valco Bayrunner 18'-21' right now.

I've fished out of smaller Gregors and they are nice boats for lakes, but the freeboard for Baja is is too short for my taste . I would guess that the longer models have higher sides.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 12:42 PM

Pablo
go to www.duroboat.com these guys make a really nice boat, that will last forever
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 01:58 PM

We have a 15' Alaskan with a walk thru console and twenty five HP motor and love it!! Very comfortable seats and with onboard gas tank it is incredibly stable. We fish it a lot in the Columbia and big water in BC.

Iflyfish
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 03:18 PM

Unfortunately, Flyfisher, altough the Alaskan may be a great boat, it is so rare on the used boat market that it may as well not exist.

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 03:27 PM

Well, jimgrms, the DuroBoat may last forever in the right hands, but this boat, also, is very rare on the used boat market--assuming a used boat is what Pablo (and I, by extension0 is lookin for.

Of course, the Bayrunner is not too common these days, either, on the used boat market, so maybe it is just the time of year, or this year, or that these boats are just very dear to their owners.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-26-2007 at 04:11 PM

Check out Iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/used_boats/boats--10/power_boats--100/...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 01:53 AM

Have to disagree with soulpatch, my 16.5 klamath has been put through its paces not only by me but Hook and Pescador and we are all impressed with its seaworthness. I have personally had it in 5-6 foot seas and its a great boat and handles very well.
And of course a 19-21' would be great but I've been very happy with my klamath and as I posted my old gregor too.
BajaTrooper
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2007 at 07:19 AM

Check this deal out...
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/boa/300982661.html
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 07:08 AM

I have been fishing out of aluminum boats in Mexico since the late 50's early 60's and have learned quite a few lessons in that time. Gregor used to make a great boat but it definately needs some reinforcement if you are going to use it hard with constant pounding. Klamath is a good choice and has now taken over the old Bayrunner from Valco production. Both Gregors and Klamaths have one problem that you need to be aware of: The boats have a deep V for entry into the waves and a flatter rear end. When you are going downsea on a quartering entry at planing speed, you are actually sliding on the flat rear section of the boat, but when the nose enters the wave infront of you, it causes a rapid direction change which is a little unsettling the first time that it happens to you. The Valco Bayrunner was probably the worst for this happening but Klamaths and Gregors also have this tendency and have to be trimmed carefully.
The Klamath Boat that Acudoc is talking about was mine for many years and I sold it to him when I upgraded. I now have a Quintrex which I found after a lot of research and looking. It is heavily constructed with 1/4 inch plate on the bottom, full flotation which will keep the boat upright if it should swamp, and the heaviest reinforcement for ribs I have ever seen on a boat. They were going to be sold and built in the southeast but that deal fell through and now are being imported from Australia and handled in British Columbia.
Aluminum boats, properly built, are great for Mexico as they take less fuel to operate since they are lighter. You are on the right track as to looking at a welded boat, as riveted boats will not last with the pounding.
check out :
http://www.quintrexboats.com
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 07:54 AM

I have a 21 foot "lund" that has been excellent. Rides well and fuel usage is excellent.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 08:07 AM

Pescador.....Please excuse my dumb question.....But what model of Quintrex boat do you have? I have gone to their web site and it is very confusing as to who and what they are trying to sell? They seem more like a brokerage. Do they actually build these boats under their name in B.C. or just exactly what are they in business to do?........ Thank you
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 08:22 AM
Aluminum boats used in Baja

First one was a 16' Lund tiller that I had customized into a center-console bass-boat design. First used here in 1973, it worked well in the Cortez for 3 years with countless round trips from Coyote Bay to Tortuga, San Marcos, and Ille del Fonso islands. Designed for different uses, the boat's rivets broke loose after so many rough trailer rides around the area. Would leak a mite. Once I tied up to an offshore shrimper and later checked on my Lund...the only thing holding it from sinking was the heavy deckline stretched taunt.

I took it back to the factory at New York Mills, Mn. and they fixed it for free. Lund has almost a monopoly on the aluminum market in Canada and northern tier states...a great fresh water boat.

I finally sold that Lund with it's 50hp Johnson on the beach in Coyote to a neighbor who used it for many years after...she loved it's name, 'The Happy Hooker'. Eventually it ended up as a panga fisher with the local fleet, and I would notice it's distinctive blue hull on the Mulege river bank when going into town. After the flood, it disappeared into the Cortez and is most likely attracting octopus as I write this.

I went to a welded 18' Alumacraft after the Lund. I have seen mostly Gregor, Bayrunners, Klamaths here over the years. Good boats for the salt and chop.

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by Pompano]

-1 a Baja Lund.jpg - 32kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Both Gregors and Klamaths have one problem that you need to be aware of: The boats have a deep V for entry into the waves and a flatter rear end. When you are going downsea on a quartering entry at planing speed, you are actually sliding on the flat rear section of the boat, but when the nose enters the wave in front of you, it causes a rapid direction change which is a little unsettling the first time that it happens to you. The Valco Bayrunner was probably the worst for this happening but Klamaths and Gregors also have this tendency and have to be trimmed carefully.

As a Gregor 19' center console owner, I can attest to the fact that this is true. Really caught me off guard the first time it happened. I believe they call this little occurance "chine walking". But as Pescador noted, it only happens in a quartering, following sea.

But I have to say... I love my Gregor boat. Light weight, easy to launch and maneuver. I have a 50 hp 4 stroke, and that's more than enough to push that boat around. It'll do a comfortable 24 knots on a smooth sea.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 08:47 AM
My second aluminum Baja boat...Alumacraft tiller 18'

I have always been partial to tiller boats for fishing. Not just for following structure while backtrolling live bait slowly.. (not something too many Cortez fishermen do..but they should!) I also like the extra roominess of the boat and ability to move around, storage, etc. Center consoles are certainly comfy, but do take up valuable space in a small boat. I have 'large' beer coolers.

This Alumacraft was a tank here for the 7-8 years I used it. All that was needed was to add a few extra stiffeners to the hull as a precaution against rough trailering and wave pounding. Powered with a power tilt 50hp Merc 2 stroke and SS prop, it did it's job well. Ran me out to sea at about 31-32mph on calm days. It also had one of the biggest livewells I have seen on an 18-footer.

[Edited on 3-29-2007 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 11:20 AM

I have just returned from my first trip with my new Gregor 15 Baja tiller with 30 hp Honda. This boat has the in floor 18 gal gas tank and front 12 gallon bait tank with bait pump. The floor plan is wide open, no seats going across the interior, no 6 gallon tanks on the floor. 5 different spots you can install seats or just move to desired location.
The hull sides (free board) is quite tall for this style of boat. As well as a 7' wide beam
I ran this boat out of Estero de Coyote up to Abreojos to fish the reefs. Weather was good most of the way. It did get windy but the swells were only 2-4 feet with long intervals.
The boat was very dry and handled excellant as far as I am concerned. On the downhill run the boat did not show any tendency to broach or slip. It was blowing about 15-20 at that time but swells were still small. So I cannot say for sure that it will not happen.
On the SOC side I fished out of San Lucas Cove and San Marcos Is. The wind had been blowing for a couple of days so there was a 3' wind swell from the North as well as a 10-15 knot breze. The boat ran really well up hill and again was very dry. This boat is easy to stand up in and fish as long as both occupants dont rush over to one side. The interior gunnel height is just at my knee and I am 6' tall.
The things that I have noticed about this boat that do need some tweeking are:
The 30 hp Honda is not enough motor for this boat if you are going to fish 3 people, it is rated for 40hp max. Get the 40.
The boat rides best if weight is all the way forward (bait tank full, tackle and ice chest up front) This dramatically improves ride quality (no pounding). Some of this can be done with in factory installed fixed trim tabs. I spoke to Woody Gregor today about this and he explained the procedure for adjusting ride trim with tabs. It involves a 2x4 and tapping the tabs down until you get the ride you are looking for. It is nice to have acces to the owner of the company for questions.
I plan on installing coaming pads on the rear half of the gunnel. This will make leaning against the gunnel while fishing more comfortable.
Over all I felt very safe in this boat (it is the smallest one I have ever owned, it is my 14th). I am sure there are better boats, and the Baja series is not inexpensive. But it does have a great layout, a manageble size and light enough that it can be mussled onto the trailer if beach launching. And of course it is fully welded. I feel this boat gets a two thumbs up. It is worth a look for a new boat buyer as these are hard to come by used also. I know I looked for 6 months.

BajaBuzz
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2007 at 12:53 PM

Lots of good info here. I'd be interested in hearing more about Normads' experiences with their aluminum boats. Thanks to all so far who took the time to write .

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.