BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto fishing report???
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:18 AM
Loreto fishing report???

Anyone have an update on the fishing around Loreto? Mi familia is there now and I was wondering if maybe they are finding the Jurels we all love to catch!(and eat)

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:23 AM

I saw on mexfish that fishing is good. Don Alley even had his own write up.:biggrin:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 09:29 AM

Hey Minnow.Is that a website/mexfish. com or something similar?

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:27 AM

The yellowtail fishing is good, pretty much all over Catalan too. The cabrilla and pargo fishing along the shore is good too. Calm seas predicted through the weekend. my report from 3 April: http://www.bajabigfish.com/fish_report.html

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:50 AM

Thanks Pam! That is a fantastic website and your shop is really great! I just added your site to my favorites.:spingrin:

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 11:31 AM

Weather's nice now, and there are yellowtail around. I heard San Bruno reef was not good the other day, but north Carmen is good and Catalan remains good. I have not heard a report from up at Pulpito or Almejas in a while; there are fish closer in so I don't think many peopleare going there. And the fish are up off the bottom for the most part. Last time out was some of the best yellowtail fishing I ever had, fishing south of Loreto in glassy water.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 11:46 AM

anyone interested in a largemouth bass story on Lake I-Wanna-B-Gone?

yeah right, I don't blame ya..........

be home in Baja mid-May, for good. Look out fish!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 11:54 AM

I have heard from many fishing amigos that the yellowtail were really getting a workout south of Loreto a while back...sounds like great times.

Sally South, Don Alley, Pam, Minnow and all..manana we may head south from Mulege - Pt. Conception - Pta. Teresa - del Fonso to check out the points and reefs for cabrilla and pargo. Of course we will be on the lookout for yellowtail action. We have heard rumors.....

We will try to chase some down your way. Any forecasts yet for the first dorado bite?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Any forecasts yet for the first dorado bite?

all signs are pointing to an early start this year

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 10:27 PM

Attached is a photo I took yesterday of a seaweed paddy about 5 miles out of the marina in Loreto. There are many of these paddies between Loreto and Carmen and a few as far out as Catalana. If these hold together they should soon be holding the bait that attract the dorado. Surface water temp. north of Catalana yesterday was 77 degrees. I agree with Pam. The dorado should be here soon and if the paddies continue to form the prospects for a banner year are good.

now.JPG - 50kB
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 03:48 AM

Hey, glowing dorado forecasts. All good dorado season indicators...temps, paddies, circling frigates, and maybe even some flying fish? We will be out there looking for the telltales..ready.

factoids:

The earliest I can remember catching dorado in Mulege waters was on the Ides of March (15th) in 1988 near San Sebastian Cove...so, one might say we are overdue!

The latest I ever caught dorado here was in mid-December in the mouth of Conception Bay, 1996.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 06:00 PM

Sally, for the most current and up to date fishing reports for all of baja go to www.mexfish.com

This is the site that is done by Gene Kira of the Baja Catch book fame.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 06:52 PM

Thanks Pescador. How weird that I did not register the website in my mind when you first spoke of it. Guess I am developing a sure case of CRS. Geez, Mija was on the cover of WON several times and they did a spread on the El Fuerte some years back.Even met and dined with some of the head honchos(of WON) in Loreto back then.Damn, I really need a Baja fix....

[Edited on 4-7-2007 by Sallysouth]

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 07:59 PM

We fished the south reef below Catalan today. Fishing was a bit slow but we managed some yellowtail. Two on our boat with Luis Torres, Manuel got five on his boat. We went short on bait to hustle out there anticipating an early bite like the day before, but it was very slow early, then a later bite but by then we were running out of bait. I got my clock cleaned by one fish fishing 60+lb. line.

Also got cabrilla. And Luis baited a marlin but it wasn't interested.

We'll try again Sunday.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Attached is a photo I took yesterday of a seaweed paddy about 5 miles out of the marina in Loreto. There are many of these paddies between Loreto and Carmen and a few as far out as Catalana. If these hold together they should soon be holding the bait that attract the dorado. Surface water temp. north of Catalana yesterday was 77 degrees. I agree with Pam. The dorado should be here soon and if the paddies continue to form the prospects for a banner year are good.

yeah it will start early and it may end early. this is a strong el nino like 1997 was. we had a hell of a chubasco that blew a LOT of people out of the water that year. it was August 4. I remember it well, bailing water out of our boats at the mairina...how STUPID we were! that was before sat images like we have now, but the history of 1997 saw no hurricanes close to the baja but lots of small localized storms. the water temps also rose to over 90(F) in mid august so the dorado season ended early. i'm expecting pretty much the same weather pattern. one omre cool thing to think about, the average dorado caught was 30 pounds!!! the schoolies were big that year and we had big fish...remember Captain Tono Romero's client Don Childress of Idaho caught a 57.5 pound bull on his 12 WT flyrod. The record still stands, woo- hoooooo!!!!!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.