BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A SHOCKING discovery.....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 11:29 PM
A SHOCKING discovery.....

2002...buy new chevy 1500 4x4....take it down past Puertocitos to Gonzaga and back....when I get home I find 2 shocks "melted"....still under warranty but decide to replace with Bilsteins so it won't happen again.....

2006...buy new Dodge Power Wagon....has factory Bilsteins....take it down past Puertocitos but not quite to Gonzaga last month.....today I am working on the camper and notice rear shock is "dirty"...check close and find oil dripping from shock and body of shock wet....still under warranty thank goodness....

Is it just me or is that road a shock killer?.....
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2007 at 11:42 PM

Over the years I have lost a few schoks on that road. in 03 I lost both front schocks on an new DuraMax with only 2,500 miles on it. Now days I put new gas schoks on before heading south,
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 09:00 AM

It's not surprising that it destroys BASIC factory shocks, but the Bilsteins?

I am switching to Bilsteins at the end of April; changing out some Rancho 9000s. I have lost Rancho 5000s on that strectch in my old Nissan 4x4.

Hope my Bilsteins last longer than yours.

Jim, what is your new truck's GVWR? Subtract that from your trucks weight off your registration and see how this compares with your camper when it loaded and wet. Include an estimate for your gas and your passengers. Maybe you are slightly exceeding the recommended weight rating. The rear shocks only might be a clue.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 10:24 AM

Bilsteins work well on both my Tacomas many times to Gonzaga...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:38 AM

If you ever checked what the temp of the shock body was after any road like that you would understand the failure. The oil gets so hot it melts the seals. You need somewhere for the hydraulic fliuid to escape the heat source and cool some, that's a reservoir. Nitrogen gas to presurize the system to keep the fluid from boiling. I like Fox. Doubling up will help also. Most shocks are only designed to dampen the spring action. As rough as Puertocitos is currently, I'd bet a shock cycles 100 times more for any given mile driven than it is intended.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 11:38 AM

I got a new set of factory shocks for my Duramax and I was amazed at how soft they are. I put them on, mostly because this dual cab seems too long for much running too far off the pavement.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 4-7-2007 at 02:45 PM

Get some dual reservoir shocks and you'll be good to gooooooo!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 11:59 AM

Just took truck to the dealer...hope they replace both rears but won't know until after lunch time.....

speaking of weights....

no camper.....front 3740....rear 2380.....6120 total
w/ camper.....front 3880....rear 3800.....7680 total

this is maybe the lightest pop -up available ....the weights really add up fast.....
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 02:49 PM

Hmmm, gosh that isnt really much weight with the camper.

Of course, it's probably more than two Tacos combined. :lol:

The Bilsteins shouldn't be overstressed by the weight; I'd say that's just a nasty road......but you knew that!

I'd give Deaver Springs a call and see what they say. Tell em about your vehicle and the shocks you have (have the model # ready) and see if they are surprised by what happened. There may be models that, while not specified for your Dodge, may absorb the motion in a better range of valving.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 08:02 PM

Update....dealer called and they will replace both rears....however special order from Detroit......a few days maybe.....

Won't go back south of Puertocitos for a few years I guess....;D
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Update....dealer called and they will replace both rears....however special order from Detroit......a few days maybe.....

Won't go back south of Puertocitos for a few years I guess....;D

No more Chevys Jim... :light::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 10:32 PM

Yeah, Jim, time to go back to tents? :rolleyes:

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 10:34 PM

I wonder why somebody doesn't just come out and develop some low cost solutions for this. How about a twin shock set up with lighter damping on each shock? How about drilling, tapping, and installing some remote reservoirs from old dirt bike shocks and refill the nitrogen? I remember the first remote reservoir were actually modified partial shock bodies. If the can-do, independent spirit of the '60s and '70s still lived instead of today's corporate mentality where bikers send their Harleys to the repair shop to get fixed, we could solve some of these problems.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 10:42 PM

Not going 'south of Puertecitos' because of the Detroit made *&%$@! just isn't an option to a true Baja nut... However, a Chevy can be made to take the pounding with enough $$$. Too bad that it isn't making Jim happy after his loyalty...

Dodge truck owners are pretty happy as are the Ford diesel people here...

Wouldn't it be nice if a U.S. truck company actually made something you could drive right to Baja off the sales lot, and not need aftermarket shocks and tires? Only Jeep with its Rubicon package on the Wrangler has impressed me... but it isn't a truck.

Toyota offers the TRD package on the mid size Tacoma and the full size Tundra... Baja ready!

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 10:54 PM

I drove my F350 in it's stock configuration on Baja dirt roads for years with nary a problem. And doing things a Toyota, due to it's reduced load carrying ability, can't even dream of doing. Those days are behind me and my truck is no longer anywhere near stock, but last time I checked F350s are made by U.S. truck companies.

Toyota makes a great product, but you make it sound like everything else is junk. That's just silly.

The TRD package includes BFG Long-Trail and Bilstein OEM replacement shocks, right? I would be careful about taking that "Baja Ready" claim too far with equipment like that.

[Edited on 4-10-2007 by Roberto]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2007 at 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Not going 'south of Puertecitos' because of the Detroit made *&%$@! just isn't an option to a true Baja nut... However, a Chevy can be made to take the pounding with enough $$$. Too bad that it isn't making Jim happy after his loyalty...

Dodge truck owners are pretty happy as are the Ford diesel people here...

Wouldn't it be nice if a U.S. truck company actually made something you could drive right to Baja off the sales lot, and not need aftermarket shocks and tires? Only Jeep with its Rubicon package on the Wrangler has impressed me... but it isn't a truck.

Toyota offers the TRD package on the mid size Tacoma and the full size Tundra... Baja ready!

I think you've got it all wrong again, David. The first post of Jim's indicates that he has a newer Dodge Power Wagon. The Chevy is gone..........but I'm sure you'll twist it in your favor somehow.

How's the vanity mirror holdin up these days in the Toyota? Got one mounted on the driver's side yet????

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 07:11 AM

Yeah...one chevy...one dodge....too bad I can't go back to 65 VW as never had any problems with shocks on it ...and they were $5.00 sears model....(on sale for $2.99 sometimes).....:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 07:40 AM

Roberto, Hook...

You boys missed this in my post: "Dodge truck owners are pretty happy as are the Ford diesel people here..."

Hook, here is Jim's post that I was responding to: "2002...buy new chevy 1500 4x4....take it down past Puertocitos to Gonzaga and back....when I get home I find 2 shocks "melted"....still under warranty but decide to replace with Bilsteins so it won't happen again....."

In your zeal to 'dis me, you missed some facts... I am just yacking back at Jim, no need to interfere is there. I mean I am no threat to you posting here if I want to play, too.

I really think you guys constantly spending time 'throwing stones' at my posts looks just so childish.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 10:10 AM

After pricing all the new and used 4x4 rigs suitable for towing a small panga and factoring in the gas mileage etc., have decided to keep my "paid for" '92 2500 Chevy Silverado.:) It's old, but has been well maintained and not abused. :tumble: Will ugrade the cooling system and the trans. :)
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2007 at 12:28 PM

I have had 3 Durmax's and have put on over 30,000 miles in Baja with them and would not want any other rig for what I do. The schock problem was easy to fix and the cost was just the cost of gas schocks.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.