BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dorado? ..fishing maps.. and gps waypoints.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 05:49 AM
Dorado? ..fishing maps.. and gps waypoints.

Well, for those of us who are into fishing, the dorado season is fast approaching. In particular for me...that stretch of water between the ports of Loreto and Sta. Rosalia. The water temps are climbing...it was 77 out there a few days back. Sargasso is floating more and more. A couple flying fish here and there.

The feisty dorado are already being caught near Cabo and the reports are that they are being seen further north every day...our own 'running of the bulls!'

In my own experience I have caught them as early as March 15th and as late as December 14th.

So fishermen, just when do you think the first dorado will be caught ...in close-in waters, not those 50 miles runs straight out - from Loreto to Sta. Rosalia?

This is just a fun thing, so remember...Life is way too serious to be taken seriously.

[Edited on 4-17-2007 by Pompano]

-1 a favorite place 10.jpg - 37kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 06:01 AM

there was some "noise" about dorados yesterday on the vhf but i missed the complete conversation...

it was on the spanish channel:no:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 06:57 AM

Think I remember Flyfishingpam's theory. Something about when the Mango's are ripe?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 07:05 AM

Someone will go out 50 miles soon and get the first Loreto dorado, but the real season will be weeks later. SST shows warmer water way offshore.

There are a few sailfish and marlin in the area now.

Boy there are some nice weed paddies out there!

Edit:
Oh, I should guess....Loreto marina, April 25th.
How about who catches it?:biggrin:

Guess: Bill E or Capt. Eulogio.:biggrin:

[Edited on 4-13-2007 by Don Alley]

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 07:16 AM

A loreto pangero by the name of Andreas, told me that he caught a dorado earlier this week. Andreas has at time stretched the fishing truth, so take his report for what its worth.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 07:16 AM

A loreto pangero by the name of Andreas, told me that he caught a dorado earlier this week. Andreas has at time stretched the fishing truth, so take his report for what its worth.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 02:06 PM

Just for Fun- Go out 15 miles off of Pt. Lobos to the current Line- Take a live bait or piece of Squid--Shut off the motor after drifting away from the Bait and then just Wait.

You might just get one of the Big Ones moving along about 5 Feet below the surface.

April 20th

Skeet/Loreto
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 02:27 PM

they'll be there when I get back.

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 02:28 PM

Was out Wednesday all around Carmen and Danzante and the water temp never reached 70. Like to know where you find that 77.:?::?:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:38 PM

I dont know, Pomp, others are more in tune with what's going on, locally.

But it forces me to bring up the subject of conserving the dorado resource. Everyone needs to observe their limits and dont take more than you can eat. And dont take more than you can store for a short period cause dorado doesnt even freeze that well.

Report long lines you see.....during the warm months, they are probably for dorado.

Oh yeah, and release all females...........

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by Hook]

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2007 at 08:40 PM

According to the Terrafin SST maps, the water close to Loreto has cooled. Mostly in the high 60s. The 70 degree water is 60+ miles out of Loreto. For a while there was some 70+ water close in. Today's north winds didn't help any.

I'd like to see the yellowtail fishing fire up to as good as it was a while back before the dorado come.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 04:39 AM

Don Alley..unfortunately the water has cooled near Mulege again, too. Que lastima. About a week ago we recorded 75 and 77 degree water off Pta. Conception a few miles...but now it is back to low 70's. Go figure....but it won't be long before the temps go back up.

Two old Baja compadres are coming for a visit from April 22nd to May 7th...so we are hoping for some action with the bulls.

Meanwhile the yellowtail are still around their haunts by Sta. Inez, Pta. Chivato, and San Marcos. Boats from San Lucas and Mulege are reporting good catches as usual.

Hook, you bet... we should all observe conservative fishing practices to sustain and keep our dorado resource healthy. Just last night we discussed last year's failed attempt to start a commercial dorado operation in the SOC. Thank God that never happened, but the pirates are still out there.

One nice dorado bull will make a large dinner party a success. Bleed and cool one immediately after catching....then have fun catching and releasing. For years I have had great success with using a barbless feather to catch and release dorado. Just keep proper tension on the line and it's a snap. It's all fun!

Okay...so when is that first dorado going to be caught? Care to start a pool?

I will jump in second with: April 27th..(because this is a friend's birthday)....offshore 25 miles at 90 degrees out of Mulege.

Of course, I fully expect we will have trolled/wandered at least 100 nautical miles by then and... Hey!...look at that frigate over there chasing something...Reel em in, let's go!

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by Pompano]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 06:13 AM

The Dorado will arrive when they are Ready!
In the years of fishing from Conception to Tambechie, I observed the following:
The larger Fish will come North depending on the Temp. and Seaweed, staying down about 5 to 6 Feet, checking out the Seaweed in close then reatreating out to the Current Line.
The first sightings that I have made would be in watching east for a Lone Fish to Jump, then later as the water warmed seeing small Schools, 4 or 5 fish working the Top of the Water.

Always carry Ice, filet the fish, placing it in the cooler on top of the Ice keeping it out of the Ice Water.
Sometimes there will be a section of the water that is Warmer, that is where they will first show.

I tried each time to bring one or two Fish extra , given to some of my Mexicano Friends who could not Fish.

Have a Good Season.

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 06:31 AM

Good reflections on the dorado, Skeet. You have spent the time gaining that knowledge, I know. Me, too.

I like to go out by running from the Bay down to Ille del Fonso, stopping to throw out a Mirrolure just before Pta. Teresa for a dinner cabrilla..just in case we get the dorado skunk flag. Then we take a heading towards Guaymas and throw out some feathers.

While trolling along at a good clip, say 10-12 knots, we will run a zig-zag course NNE (45degrees) for about 2-3 hours. Of course, all this time we are looking for chumlines, slicks, tidal rifts, paddies, birds (frigates!), flying fish and a friendly fish-god.

If we go more than 25 miles offshore it's time to steer north for 20 miles or so..then and angle back in towards the east side of Tortuga Island near Sta. Rosalia. From there we would troll and watch the signs until reaching the yellowtail grounds off San Marcos and Pta. Chivato. All good water if the dorado are in...and if not, then we have that cabrilla on ice or will pick up a yellowtail on the last leg.

What kind of fishing do you have in your neck of the woods in Texas? Whatever it may be, have fun and good luck.

[Edited on 4-14-2007 by Pompano]

-1 a boat wake.jpg - 31kB

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano Dorado soon...but when?

Whenever they want!

OK Dan I know I showed you the Andres equation:

The truth = (What Andres says) / 3 :lol: but true!

He went way out just like Don describes (but this time didn't run outta gas :lol: ) and caught "three" dorado over two days, he says. No doubt that he caught one or two but who wants to go way the hell out there for one fish when we can enjoy this great Yellowtail fishing we have now! pretty easy limits of 30-40 pounders, boats coming back loaded!! Summer will come soon enough.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeljob
Think I remember Flyfishingpam's theory. Something about when the Mango's are ripe?

that's when the schoolies are so thick you can walk on them! the mangoes seem to coincide with the fish coming "in" the arrival of the thick populations. Lots of mango sets this year. Also lots of cactus (cardon) flowering like last year. the best I've ever seen the cardon flower and last year was a good year, coincidence? no se just telling like I see it.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 09:10 AM

Good Report Pomp!

Many times in the past years I would depart Pt. Lobos{after reading the waves} and take a 030 at 3/4 speed for 45 minutes, arriving on top of Manaderos Reef which in my opinion is 2nd to Las Animas down South.

Have you ever fished Manderaos Reef?

For those going South, your chance for early Fish, is good by going to Catalana taking a Line on Pt. Lobos and running that line a mile on each side. Same line is good for Yellowfin when they start arriving.

While living at San Nicolas from 1972 to 1976 I fished DeleFonso Island both as a Sport and Commercially. North of the Island at 300 Ft. I will bet that you can still catch some good Fish. Got an 80 lb. Amberjack within 100 feet of the Island.

I limit myself to fishing Montana Creeks, Ucluet B.C, Tashisa and Gold River and sometimes Bamfield.

I am spoiled to fishing in Clear Water so go to Sweetwater Texas for some great Blue Cats at about 10 Lbs.

It looks like this year is going to be Great-If the yellowfin come in , I will try Las Animas South of Catalana. The very Best Fishing in the World for me!!

Good Luck

Skeet/Loreto
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 09:23 AM

Hate to disagree with you Skeet, but do NOT filet your fish before you come in. Its against fishing rules and can get you a hefty fine plus loosing your fish.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 10:57 AM

I know Dan, but in the years that I was fishing there was no such rule. When the rule came in later, I just went in and out of the Beach at Rancho Sonrisa or put them in a Secret Compartment in under the floor Boards.

The Rule is Stupid! For anyone with experience can very easily judge the size and kind of Fish by the Filets.
Nine, sometimes Rules are made to be Broken- In all the years I fished Loreto, the Caught Fish were kept Clean and Cool, consumed by myself or some Mexicanos who needed the Food, so be it. On occasion I did can Yellowtail and take back to the States.
I would much better see a Dead Caught Dorado-Not released- but brought in for some to have Food.

"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained"

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2007 at 11:21 AM
a general fishing map for you...

Getting just a wee bit off-track here for a sec..then back to your best guess on dorado catch date.

Skeet's and other's recollections about where to fish prompted me to make some map notes for any boat owners who miight care to try their luck in the Mulege area...which my buddies and I have fished for 35 years and know quite well. You can bet I have left lures on every pile of rocks from San Marcos to Pulpito.

Also, if you are wondering about what lure or setup to use for fishing, you might give these a try:

Cabrilla....use a firetiger* Mirrolure tied directly to line..no snaps, etc. Troll in 25 - 50 ft. at 6-8mph about 125-150 feet back. (*although my biggest ever was on 'hot pink.') Or cast your favorite iron along the rocky points. My dinner favorite.

Pintos...nothing like a good 4 ounce iron to get down there..200ft plus...quicky on a calm day. They will pick it up going down in the last 10 feet. These are delicious.

Yellowtail...live bait flylining seems to work really well. Or..use a 2-3 oz egg sliding sinker on the nose and send to bottom. 200-275ft= normal depths for us.

Dorado...fast troll a feather that causes some surface ruckus..make it skip now and then...change speed and direction often..upwind, downwind..colors change daily. Live bait, cut bait, green macks, squid, it all works.

The Map:

If you are new to our area and would like to go out fishing in your own boat, try these general areas for cabrilla, yellowtail, snapper, pintos, etc. Otherwise, hire one of our local expert guides..they will get you on the fish.

The same help could be presented by local fishermen for the Loreto, La Paz, and Cape areas, I suppose. Kind of a general guide as to where boater owners can go to find certain targeted fish...please note 'general' guide. :spingrin: There is something satisfying about finding fish on your own.

Key to map guide:

RED = yellowtail (seasonal - late fall to spring)
YELLOW = bottomfish (mostly pintos, but some grays, huachinangos, grouper, etc)
BLACK/BROWN = cabrilla, snapper
GREEN = dorado (early season)

-1 a a fishing map (Custom) (3).jpg - 45kB

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.