Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 01:39 PM

its that what insurance if for??:lol::lol::lol::lol:

jerry and judi
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 01:45 PM

A sad sight, lencho. We have had quite a few of those around Conception Bay over the years. I can think of 7 offhand, plus one DC-3.

One good thing is, they make great diving wrecks.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 09:15 PM

Lived on a sailboat in Mexico and Centeral America for several years. When people asked me what I did all day, I replied without hesitation, "Stayed Afloat".
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 09:35 PM
Sailboat demasted and aground..

We came across this one 2 years ago near Pta. Terasa.. south of Conception Point about 30 miles.

-0 a hull near Pta. Teresa.jpg - 42kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 10:14 AM
A hole in the stern..

This happened to our good amigos, Johnny Tequila and first mate, Cindy, when they had left their trimaran, Quetzal, at anchor offshore Playa Escondido while they went to shop in nearby Mulege.

A freak wind shear or ? happened with enough force to drag the anchor and the subsequent shoalling caused some severe hull damage at the rudder and below the waterline. We manned the pumps while Johnny went overboard to make temporary repairs to keep her afloat until we could careen onshore for a permanent fix.

When sailing the Cortez, there's always something!

-0 an almost sunk Quetzal.jpg - 49kB

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 12:24 PM

You are right, lencho. The bay is littered with sunken wrecks.

A couple of sinkings at Santispac and other nearby bays were indeed from neglect...most likely thru-hull fittings leaking and no auto bilge pump works forever. Some sailors..no, 'owners'.. would leave their boats unattended for many months at a time. A couple of sailboats drug anchor, went adrift, and sunk on rocks near Sta. Barbera beach across the bay. One was aptly named Ruff-nTuff...she was a wreck even when she was still afloat. Her crew is now pufferfish and triggers...better.

Some other small cabin cruisers have been abandoned down here over the years, too. These eventually make great underwater reefs and habitat for marine critters. An old shrimp boat wreck here and there make for good diving locations. A long-ago ditched DC-3 out by the point is interesting, also. You can 'almost' still smell the cargo.;)

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 01:09 PM

Pomp: There is a Twin Engine Cessna buried off the End of the Runway at Pt. Chivata. It was still visable in 1970 when I brought a Trailer across on the Ferry and Dismantled a Cessna 210 and took it back to the States.
There was always a "Mexicano" rumor that Cortez buried a large amount of Gold somewhere off the Pt.

Maybe we should start a Salvage Operation for Boats, Sunken Sailboats and Gold!!

Skeet/Loreto
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
when they had left their trimaran, Quetzal, at anchor offshore Playa Escondido

That's a Jim Brown trimaran! The finest trimarans afloat....even with hull damage.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 12:28 PM
Right you are, oxxo...a Brown, one of the best.

A sailor's dream, we had many a great time aboard the Quetzal...some real adventures on the Cortez. Her new home port is San Carlos now.

We also sailed a couple of Ian Farrier's designed F series...collapsible tri. for the trailer.

-0 a Quetzal JTCindy (Medium).jpg - 40kB

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
A sailor's dream, we had many a great time aboard the Quetzal...some real adventures on the Cortez.

This looks like a 32 or 37 footer? The first Brown trimaran I sailed on was when I lived in Tonga back in the '60's. It was from San Francisco, about 45 ft. in length. I rode along for 3 or 4 days serving as a local pilot.

The last I heard, Jim Brown is still alive (although quite elderly) and lives in Florida. He is an incredible individual and has done much for world humanity. He has always been a person I admire.

[Edited on 4-23-2007 by oxxo]
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2007 at 07:13 PM

Oxxo.......Jim Brown lives on Chesapeke Bay and has for years and is doing very well these days. His designs are proven and are great boats, but like all boats they have strong points as well as weak ones. Its an interesting subject............... Thanks for the great pics Pompano. ++C++:smug::smug:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.