Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Good Fishing Mags
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 06:09 PM
Good Fishing Mags

Was wondering if some nomads could help me out with some good fishing mags for the Baja area. Plan on moving down in a few years but visiting a lot before then and would like to learn some techniques. Thanks
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 06:20 PM

I believe it is now called Southcoast Sportfishing. Anyway they usually have sections on Baja fishing but their primary focus is SoCal. This is just as good because the techniques are pretty common for both areas.

The east coast stuff the describe in Saltwater angler would probably work too but some of the things they do seems really foreign to me.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 06:43 PM

Unfortunately, the Baja Catch is the only book I know of that focuses on Baja.
Their maps are very basic and much of the information is pretty dated.
There are other books with much more on fishing techniques and tackle etc.
Anyone have a favorite ?

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 07:19 PM

Bird Dog:
here's my two cents:
1. Read the following over and over and over: "The Baja Catch" by Kelly/Kira and "The Baja Adventure Book" by Peterson. Yes they are somewhat dated but are very good basic guides.
2. Read every post by the folks who live there regarding fishing: Pompano, Osprey, Don Alley, backninedan (we all assume he's talking about golf), Skeet/Loreto (doesn't live there anymore but still counts), Don Jorge and a host of others.
3. Read the fishing reports on www.mexfish.com - they come out on Sunday or Monday each week.
4. Some guys read "Fishsniffer" or "Western Outdoor News" but I've tired of them - the 'Bloody Decks' crowd has taken over.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 07:44 PM

http://www.thelog.com/

The fishrap has some Baja reports. Pretty decent for a free San Diego local paper.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 08:02 PM

Western outdoors has some baja info.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 08:15 PM

and read the baja bigfish company report for the loreto area

jerry and judi
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2007 at 08:19 PM

One of the best sources of information on tackle, technique, where and when to go can be found on message boards. Do a search and start reading, and maybe post and ask questions.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php

http://www.senortuna.com/main/

There's also Bloodydecks...don't let the kids see you surfing there.

Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 06:53 AM
Baja Mag

This is one of the best that i have found, Wester Outdoors-wwwwonsubs.com Has lots of Tuna an Dorado, reef fishing info. Also a Baja only Issue.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 4-26-2007 at 07:41 AM
We have a winner

Santiago is right on,Baja Catch for a newbie is a must!Lots of info right here..........Ask and read ,If your into R-rated fish reports try B/D.
BAITCAST
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 08:43 AM

Try thehulltruth.com.:yes:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:18 AM

just hang out with Juan!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:40 AM

Nobody asked what method of fishing you'd be planning.

The Baja Catch may be dated but the information is still good today. We have taken many of the techniques Gene referes to in this book, and modified them to fit our fishing situations and desires (like fly patterns or homemade lures). Keep in mind that his book is for the kayak angler and my kowledge is pangas and only some kayak knowledge. He takes into consideration the launch spots for a cartopper and accessability to any decent bite worth expending energy over.

I subscribed to all the mags when starting my business. One poster mentioned the east coast techniques, they sound foreign to me too. The advice on southern california styles of fishing apply here as another poster noted. For baja focus the message boards, the websites that deal with the area you're interested in and purchasing "the baja catch" by Gene Kira and Neil (don't remember name), is good advice (only book you need). And if you'll also be flyfishing I'd suggest "Baja on the Fly" by Nick Curcione. keep in mind that that particular book fosuses heavily on the east cape so lots of the techniques won't work off Loreto (we've tried). Put out specific questions to allcoast.com and on this board. I'm not fond of bloody decks but hey that's one sector of the fishing industry, whatever.

After many years not recieving a subscription of WON once in awhile someone bringe me a copy so I can keep up. My opinion is that they've been doing the same ol' same ol' for over ten years and probably more than that before I ever heard of it. Maybe southcoast sportfishing will do a piece on baja, maybe one of the fly rags will do one: Fly fishing in Saltwater, Saltwater fly fishing, and others. I'd suggest following publications on the web and when baja related articles apear, just buy that issue. Keep it on file. One thing interesting is that the persons who put out those stories will be a big factor in taking advice seriously (are they professional guides or did they spend a week here during the summer). I see a larger focus on east coast saltwater, bonefish in particular over the kind of fishing baja has to offer. The bonefish here are generally small and spooky as hell. There are so many better fish to catch.

We're learning constantly and we have some better technology to help us now so things change but the general principles won't. Learn to cast wether its your flyrod, spin, or bait rig. Learn about your tacklebox and what wil be essential but always be ready to adapt to local conditions. Learn as much as you can before going out on the water so you'll appreciate it more.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 09:59 AM

Pam,

There isn't a good book on flyfishing baja out there. Why don't you write one? With all of your years of experience I'll bet you can come up with the flyfishing version of the baja catch. And I'll bet it will sell.

Curcione's book is real basic and could be just as well named 'Saltwater flyfishing'. Gary Graham's book is just a series of maps. I also find Ken Hanley's book very limited as it only deals with the shoreline caster (as I remember).

I see guys stalking roosterfish with flyrods from shore but there's no literature on that. There's this method of flyfishing for roosters where you tease the fish and substitute the fly at the last minute. Again, only guides - but no literature. I remember talking to you about float tubing around seaweed paddies for dorado. Another interesting technique - no literature. There's a lot to write.

There are so many good flyfishing guides now. I was at Marriotts yesterday and there's a good guide for every state now. I like those 'Flyfishers guide to ___' series (Montana, Idaho, Utah, etc). A book like that for baja would be perfect.

[Edited on 4-26-2007 by Skipjack Joe]
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 10:14 AM

I always bring a full tackle box to Baja. I have found that most of it never leaves the box.
Here is what I have used the most and has worked the best for me.
Shore casting: 2" - 3" Krocodiles, mostly chrome and chrome and red. Have caught everything from Triggers to Roosters with these.
Lagoons: Swim baits and the Rapalas they recomend in Baja Catch. Bass, groupers, Halibut you name it they will take these two lures.
Open water Pacific and SOC: Live bait hooks, Sabikis (to make bait), assorted jigs for YT in Scrambled egg, Blue/White and Chrome/Blue. A couple of trolling feathers (Mexican Flag, cedar plug).
Everything else seems to just sit in the box and get in the way.
This has been my personal experience. I also firmly believe that if you are fishing a lure you have confidence in and know how to fish it well you will catch fish.
I use the Baja Catch as my bible and it still seems to be pretty accurate.
Tight lines and only keep what you will eat.
:tumble:

BajaBuzz
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 11:21 AM

The basic technique of fishing in close and using small deep-diving plugs is about all that is current in the Baja Catch. And that presupposes that all you want is to catch scads of "cabrilla" in all it's permutations; whether it be grouper, spotted bay bass or ? Sure, you will catch the occasional firecracker YT or a small rooster, but that's bass territory. The rest of the book has been relegated to the category of common knowledge........largely due to the book's wide distribution.

Reading websites like mexfish, Allcoast, BD, and Nomads will give you much better and more current info these days, IMO. Better than any mags or weekly publications. Remember, print writers generally write articles with an eye towards advertisers as much as the reader. On websites, it's generally the unbiased information of the average fisherman. I say "average" but in the era of the internet, the collective skills/knowledge of the average fisherman is tremendous these days.

Baja is also, perhaps, the most forgiving fishery even in it's continuing decline. A few iron, a few plugs, a few shiny lures, a few plastics and you stand a good chance for success beyond what 90% of the worlds oceans will yield. Include live bait in your arsenal and, at times, only the conditions will limit your success.

Use the knowledge.............but also respect the Sea's limitations.

[Edited on 4-26-2007 by Hook]

BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 12:29 PM

Thanks all. I hope to being fishing in Baja soon.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2007 at 12:48 PM

And I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Keep your tip up!

Iflyfish
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 4-26-2007 at 01:33 PM
info overload

I bet Its a little overwhelming for a newbie who has a question and has been setting on it for a while to think maybe if I,m lucky I,ll get a couple of replies and finally posts.
WHAM he,s pc nearly,s shorts out,INFO OVERLOAD takes place,it will takes days of research to sift thru all the info:lol:..............Just ask!
BAITCAST
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 07:04 PM

The very Best way to learn Fishing in the Loreto Area is to buy a Panga, hire an old time Mexicano Fisherman, pay him a fair Wage and go Fishing!

One of the many negatives of the Pangeros and the Fishing Fleets are their Fishing only during Workign Hours,,

If you sleep over at about a Mile this side of Pt. Lobos and fish right before Daylight at the time of the YellowTail, you can catch large fish on Top in Shallow Water.
If you Fish the Late afternoon and evening Bite you can get some large Cabrilla.

Re; Fly Fishing for Roosters--There was at one time a famous Fisherman from San Francisco who fished out of a 14 Ft. Boat and caught many Roosters--I think he wrote a Book about doing that. Will try to remember his name.

I fished out of Loreto last August with my longtime Friend Alvaro Murillo- We left the Marina about 6 Am, returning at 10 Am with 3 30 Lb Yellowtail.
There are places that have a small Population of Yellowtail all year long within 30 to 40 minutes of Loreto.

But we all must pay our dues and Learn the Water to find these places.
Skeet/Loreto
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.