Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Farming Tuna
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 04:37 PM
Farming Tuna

To the fishermen................what are your thoughts about the Tuna Farming taking place in Baja Norte?

Salsipuedes (north of Ensenada)

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 04:47 PM

Google "tuna farming" to read the good and the bad.

Better yet, the current isue of National Geographic is aimed at destructive fisheries. Lots of space devoted to tuna farming. It is sad.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 04:59 PM

I'm not a fisherman, but if I were, I still don't think I'd like the fouled water created by the pens, not to mention casualties among fish and mammals that wander too close to them. Although, on second thought, my neighbors living in a part of Punta Banda that overlooks some of the pens find the occasional blood-red water very attractive. Still, our friends across the Big Pond must need the fatted Bluefin for sustenance, so I guess the pens are OK.

If you want a less emotional response to the concept of tuna ranching, check out the April 2007 issue issue of "National Geographic." It's stunning.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 05:09 PM

It's said, the ocean floor beneath the pens is as dead as the surface of the moon. Nothing can live at the bottom of a toilet.

Bajamigo .... "Bluefin for sustenance"........ How much do they pay for that? Were we talking about that the other day?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 05:47 PM

There was an article in the LA Times a few weeks back, indicating that wholesalers in Tokyo pay ten bucks a pound for bluefin (the whole fish). Not knowing much about the sashimi price curve in Nakano, I can't venture to guess what it's worth on the plate at the local sushi bar. I'd say Dad better bring a boatload of yen.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 06:51 PM
Ranch for tuna

Ken, here is a previous link. I must add that every time I pass there there are more rings out there. Such a pity that whoever allows this does not understand the long term ramifications.:(

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=16710#pid1429...

[Edited on 5-14-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 07:10 PM

Ken:
"Such a pity that whoever allows this does not understand the long term ramifications."

or care!

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 07:13 PM

Everything is for sale.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 07:20 PM

There are discussions underway within the US Government to begin expediting "fish farming" (it is NOT farming) in US waters. Part of the discussion is the creation of exclusive leases for the corporations' pens. Yep, they are figuring out a way to privatize the ocean.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 07:28 PM

Like I said......Everything's for sale.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 07:40 PM

And this is the perfect example, and time and place to come to the rescue...... and donate all you can to Greenpeace. At least they can make a small effort.Every little bit helps. ++C++
k1w1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover

God will provide(something else) after "he" has taken away what we have left.

We. Hope.(and pray)

please abstain from the mumbo jumbo when addressing these serious issues.
(notice it's not referred to as cruciFACT)
cheers & rgds
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:15 PM

The pens will go away when the sardine population is depleted, again. We watched them feed those BFT once. The deck hand was shoveling dead sardines with huge snow shovel, the water was white and foaming. I couldnt take anymore, I had to leave or Im sure I would of tossed the surface iron :spingrin:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:17 PM

My guess is that it's having a negative impact on the local tuna schools.
I love to fish from San Diego on the open party tuna trips. But I prefer the 1 day overnight trips. It's cheaper and I don't have to spend as much time on the boat ride part of it.
But last year the fish never got closer than 1 1/2 day trips and 2-3 day trips.
Even then the counts were
not that great.
I've seen the tuna seiners out there filling their pens. I don't think it's only bluefin. Yellowfin and albacore make great sushi also. In fact I prefer them to bluefin.
Everytime I go by the pens there are more of them. Maybe that's why the tuna fishing from San Diego was poor last year. I guess we'll find out in a couple of months. I hope I'm wrong!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 09:50 PM
Hindsight or no sight.

Maybe the polihticians and policy maker DID learn something from past mistakes. They now realize that there is no saving wild stocks from being hunted down, gathered up and force-fed or just plain fished into oblivion.
They must make sure the cash flow continues and people are placated with farmed animals(in this case, ranched).
So they probably figure they can milk the seas one way or another for many years to come.

God bless em:mad:

Btw, watch those farmed catfish and salmon.That is unless you like plastic in yer diet.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 11:50 PM

i dont see the big picture harm?? it feeds the masses. is in small areas and can only exist if there is feed
the production is very high per area spent
raising cattle is cheaper then rustling them:?::?::?:

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2007 at 11:55 PM

some people are just against everything no matter what for cristsakes open your eyes a demand will be fed some where some how
look at the big picture farming will take the pressure of the nateral stocks

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 12:42 AM
Who's benefitting,really?

Not me Jerry I'm all for "sustainable resources" Too bad the bottom line draws the picture. These animals are culled from the waters of Baja in an abnormal and unproven method for "feeding the market" in Japan. Don't be naive, these fish are gathered and fattened up for the elite comsumer. The people with big bucks. It drives ahuge global market. Primarily benefitting the Japanese corps that send their minions around the globe. The people who benefit locally, in this case Mexicanos, will suffer later. They will see what harm extracting tons of basitfish(that's another story) from areas typically untargeted and part of the natural feed suppy for the upper food chain.
Yes, I'am against this type of indiscriminate way of purse seining and ranching. I think it has far reaching consequences.
I was all for catfish farming too. But since I found out the domestic corps opt for inerfior unproven crap from China I lose confidence in them as well. That doesn't mean I think they should stop growing fish. Maybe they should choose USA products first. You know, like CORN MEAL PRODUCTS.
We will never discuss success stories here Jerry and believe it or not, it takes a goodly amount of info from many directions to appropriately address a subject. One that involves natural resources always needs advocates in it's favor. The seas can't defend themselves. Time will tell tho, should they just wait till ALL the fish are gone?

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 01:20 AM
Ranching vs farming

Ranching differs from farming in a few basic ways. With ranching wild animals are gathered and either hatched and released to return later, as with salmon, or gathered and fattened till market ready. There is no complete "life cycle" in captivity.

Farming is in a closed loop. Fish are fertilized then hatched, reared and raised till market ready. The cycle is then repeated.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 05:23 AM

i'm kinda like jerry...

i don't understand why it's a " a negative impact on the local tuna schools"??

the tuna are confined
fed
and butchered

sardines should "know" the rules and keep out of the pens

there are other tuna in the open waters...
they will span...

isn't it better that longliners and netters are not "raping" the fish from the sea???

i really don't understand why this type of tuna farming is a problem???
it provides a year-round source of fresh tuna to the population.

educate me...:saint::saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.