Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Fishing Primer #1--Skirt Lures
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 07:49 AM
Baja Fishing Primer #1--Skirt Lures

Ok, it’s summer, so in this, the first Baja Fishing Primer, let’s talk about those skirt lures. I know that Baja guides have three favorite techniques: live bait, live bait, and bigger live bait, but lots of us like trolling lures, if just for attractors.

Don Alley has mentioned to me (I hope none of you take offense that I am using your names) that he likes purples, green & black (Mean Joe Green) and petrolero in larger sizes to target larger dorado. He cautions that factory rigging quality can be spotty.

Hook says that tuna feathers will work for dorado and he likes pink/white, blue/white, green/black, purple/black, green/orange, Mexican flag, and all white. He uses Zuker lures in jet heads and standard types.

Frank favors the larger sizes for billfish in petrolero, black and purple, mean joe green, and blue and white.

Skipjack Joe was very helpful when I asked him privately about dorado lures. I’ll quote him directly, because he has a lot of good tips:

“The best by far for trolling is a 4-5 inch trolling feather in yellow and green. Mexican flag is second best. The feather works better than plastic. Zucker makes them and you can get them in most saltwater tackle stores. The LONGFIN has a good selection in a couple sizes. I think the smaller size works better. I've had some luck with black/purple but far less than this color. Color is important.

“I use a 60lb bite tippet, about 3 feet of it that I tie directly to a double hook. At the other end I tie a swivel and to the swivel goes the line from the reel.

“I troll about 7=8 mph. The feather is usually just behind the wash, about 30 feet behind the boat, where the bubbles are dissipating. Sometimes they don't like it there and then I let out a whole lot of line and troll more slowly.

“That's about it for trolling.”

Thanks Joe.

It’s interesting that out of this small sample we have nine different colors that are favorites, with purples and green/black being listed three times and three other combos being chosen twice. Clearly, everyone has an individual color darling, so let’s not focus on color, but rather size.

There are four target fish for squid-type lures? Dorado, marlin, sailfish, wahoo? Am I forgetting any? How do these fish react to the size of lures? Am I asking the right question?

Next, how about rigging those lures? I’ve used a Bimini Twist on my Spectra main line with a snap swivel, but it’s nice to have a wind-on leader. Do you make up a separate leader for each lure, or is there a way to move that leader from one lure to another?

How long is that leader and what test?

Double hook, double hooks, or single hook? I’ll go with whatever is safer—I don’t like visiting the doctor after reaching the dock.

What kind and size of hook? Beads?

Ok, enough for today. Tomorrow let’s talk about spreads and where to put those lures (if I remember correctly, Mexican law says only one rod per angler).

Thanks everyone.

[Edited on 5-17-2007 by BajaBruno]

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:47 AM

The main reason I like the smaller feathers is because there is a smaller chance of any type of billfish jumping on (though not zero chance). I will target billfish only after a long day of trolling with no action and a sighting on a fin. Prefer not to bait bills as I want to release always. For those times, I use Doorknobs in blue/white or pink/white. I have a petrolero but havent caught anything on it after a single week of fishing in Mexico last year. I dont fish nearly as much as other guys down there because I am still up here and working.

I almost always run at least one daisy chain in the spread, usually close and up the middle. I buy hoochies in different colors and create various color-coordinated chains in the typical colors. Even with outriggers, I am rarely trolling more than 3 lines; just too much to watch on turns and too many lines for two guys to bring in on a strike.

I dont run spreaders and I dont run attractors, really. I am after tuna and dorado. Those other devices seem to bring in the bills.

Whistler, it could be that you disdain trolling because you are on the cooler pacific side. In the Sea, during the pelagic season, it is troll or perish for me. My absolute best memories of Mexico are of blazing temps with elevated humidity and the feel of a constant 10 knot breeze from trolling; something cold and frosty in hand. Stop the boat and you stop the air conditioner.

Besides, why not troll likely waters as you search for fish to bait?

No doubt about it.......the color that has caught me the most fish over the years is MJG. Of course I have developed such confidence in it that I probably fish it more often, too. It just always seems to be the first hit in any spread.

[Edited on 5-16-2007 by Hook]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:48 AM

Since I don't always know who I'll be fishing with I keep my leader short to accomodate the walkaround space in my panga. I have less worry that way that my guest will jamb the tip guide with the swivel, he or she can bring the rod up, the fish near the boat so I can gaff without having to even touch the leader. So, to me, leader length is not about fish abrasion but boat fishing space -- there are some of you who have lost big fish to line abrasion who will have their own ideas. There's no real right or wrong to fishing if you use what has worked for you, some common sense.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:48 AM

I had Outriggers on my Panga for many years. Great for Trolling!
Also took an old Fashion Beer Opener and rigged it with a Treble Hook and caught all kinds of Fish. Caught more Yellowtail on top of the Water trolling a Salas Blue and White Jig.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:53 AM

Oh yeah, single hooks only, generally at least 9/0. I rig my own, using some beads as well.

[Edited on 5-16-2007 by Hook]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 11:00 AM

I know a lot of color preferences have been posted on this thread but I would never underestimate the importance of color in these feathers.

My son and I were fishing at SLC for dorado one July, I with purple and black and he with green and yellow. He was outfishing me 10 to 1 day after day until he lost his feather in a tangle. Nobody in the RV park came close to his success. We later found more green/yellows and were in business again.

One year I was on a week long trip with Tony Reyes in the midriff area and came across a small blue and white plastic feather with silver sparkles. That thing was amazing. I outfished everyone in the panga. People were giving me dirty looks every time we had to stop the panga as I started yet another 15 minute battle with a yellowfin. Eventually I lost the lure. Next year I found another one like it in the store and would you believe it: the success was the same as the previous year.

Pompano makes a good point about varying the speed of the troll. Often a dorado will follow your lure right behind it, just watching. It will lose interest unless you do something. Stroking the feather may be just the ticket. Try it. You may be surprised. The 'Baja Catch' suggests trolling in figure eights. The reason is not what you might think it is. It's not a method to troll an area more thoroughly. The speed of the feather is constantly changing. As you go into those outside loops the feather speeds up. As you go into the loop intersection it slows down. That type of trolling increases your catch rate.

[Edited on 5-16-2007 by Skipjack Joe]
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:04 PM

What a wonderful topic. to respond to some- all my lures have leaders on them and attach to a snap or swivel. My most popular feathers with Dodos are purple and black and next are white feathers and on any given day Mexican flag outproduce both of the others. And when those don't work out come the pinks, blues or anything else the tackle box calls up.

My wahoo divers are realllly bright- irredecent orange or glow in the dark purple and they have plenty of tooth prints to show the hits as well as the misses. they like the orange best particularly when a little overcast and bright sun the purple is a little better.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:34 PM

Sorry I do not have anything to contribute...hoping someday to be able to:rolleyes:
I am thankful for you guys, but I know it will hurt my check book:lol:

capitolkat..."My wahoo divers are realllly bright- irredecent orange or glow in the dark purple and they have plenty of tooth prints to show the hits as well as the misses. they like the orange best particularly when a little overcast and bright sun the purple is a little better."
Wahoo diver??? Do you have a picture? does it have a spoon on front...how deep?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 12:57 PM

Great stuff, everyone--please keep it coming. I'd still like more on the leader issue, please:

Leaders on each feather, or something interchangeable?

How long?

What pound test?

How do you make the line-to-leader connection? Snap swivel? Ulbright knot?

What kind of hook, specifically? Size, style? Beads?

Is the hook bend past the end of the feathers, or does it matter?

Photos would be nice, too. :yes:

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 01:01 PM

Al G-- no spoon and they run about 1-2 meters deep depending upon troll speed. they look like a 8-10 inch piece of hard foam about 3 inches tall in the shape of a rhombus with rounded faces and sometimes painted eyes or gills. I don't have a pic and couldn't find one easily on charkbait to use as an example. they are expensive for a single lure.

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 01:10 PM

Whistler and I learned from the same master except I use twin/split hook- 8/0 or 9/0.

[Edited on 5-16-2007 by capitolkat]

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 01:27 PM

Great topic, great thread, great news. After all these years, amigos and Nomad, we have come full circle. Good for you guys, we can finally focus on what is important.

Pompano, sorry about all the jabs in the past. I didn't know you were a fisherman until recently. Thanks for all the reports.

Bruno, thanks for taking the initiative. This kind of information will help the experienced and the novice. Never to late to learn something new, right boys.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Never to late to learn something new, right boys.

You're right about that. Once you stop learning the sport will lose interest for me. It's the riddles, the unsolved mysteries that are most challenging. No guides for me, thank you. I had a guide once take me out, bait the hook, hook the fish, and then hand me the rod. I told him, "you fish with it". I hurt his feelings, though. He was just trying to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Been in the "truck" mode lately.

Hope you're back now.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 02:23 PM

I tie all my own stuff with the Perfection loop (50# and above) or Palomar or Albright where appropriate. I troll a small strip of squid inside most of my feathers -- I don't know why, don't know if it helps or not. When the dorado are here and hungry, when I'm out there and at the right speed I can catch a couple. I'm not a real scientist when it comes to this stuff -- all those guys using all that stuff just the way they like it getting the results they want ???? I think fish will bite when they're hungry. period.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 03:41 PM

Color...I was quoted on color, but those are really just some colors I've gotten lucky with.

Size...I do like the bigger lures. For dorado and tuna (tuna are seldom around Loreto) I've been told small hoochies work well. But I don't really care to hook up a small dorado trolling; they get hammered on the strike, you pull them in with too-heavy tackle...yawn. I do like billfish, and I suspect that a bigger lure may bring a bigger dorado.

One of the bigest dorado I've caught was at Zihua. The capt, in several days of fishing, always had a monster lure in the spread, bigger than any I have. Just in case a big 700lb blue marlin shoed up. I caught a really nice dorado on that lure. Kind of a waste, though, on 80-120 lb tackle.:lol:

Capt. Bob really likes the cedar plugs. I'm going to fish them more.

I remember when I first saw the plastic skirted lures. 1960s. After years of drought fishing Catalina with dead flying fish, we bought a few at a shop where they were custom made, somewhere way, way up Sunset Blvd in LA. Went out towards Catalina, and had two hookups before we even reached the island.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 06:31 PM

I don't know if this could work for any of you but I bought some special marine velcro strips I put on the hull of my small boat just below the water line. I fashioned some net bags with matching velcro. I run small hoochies in the early bright and if I catch any bait (needlefish, barrilette, bonita) fish I cut it up, mash some of it, put it in the net bags fasten them to the hull. A very effective chum presentation since it goes where I go. When and if I get a hookup I'm usually surrounded by birds, bait, whatever and sometimes a fleet of uninvited fishermen who are drawn to the action. Sometimes, before I can reboat the setup I feel like I'm inside some kind of circus with all the lobos and pelicans and people trolling lures under my panga.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 06:51 AM

There is so much great information here it wouldn't be right to just take and not leave something behind. So here is my contribution.

Since we're mostly talking about trolling, a couple tactics have worked for me to increase my catches that I didn't see mentioned.

First when trolling for tuna, Don't shut down immediately and start reeling when you get the first hook up. Tuna aren't solitary fish and your lures are in or just went through a big school. By maintaining speed and heading for another 30 seconds or so you will often get a double or triple hook-up. Just before you do shut down to fish, anyone that is not hooked up or needed to clear lines should pitch a swim bait back behind the boat and let line out until the boat comes to a stop and the hooked fish start getting reeled in. Once the boat comes to a stop start working the swim bait back. Hopefully as the hooked fish bring the whole school with them toward the boat your swimbait will soon find itself surrounded. (Fishing the slide)

Dorado are schooling fish as well and often very competitive. When you catch one trolling it is typically on fairly heavy gear. Bring it to the boat but leave it in the water. It will often bring the school into casting range even if you can't cast more than 3 feet.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 07:48 AM

I too, like trolling during the warm water months and typically will use the bigger lures. If I am pulling 12 inchers and a dorado decides to take the lure I know they will at least be in the 30lb category, which makes them worth catching. In the morning when I start, I will make a couple of color choices depending on available light. If it is darker or more overcast then I lean toward purples, reds, blacks, and maybe Mean Joe Green, while if it is lighter then I will try blue and white, orange, dorado or those lighter colors. Both Dorado and Bill fish will usually show some preference for a color and as soon as I see a color preference, then I try to get close, but not an exact match. When I first start out I want to cover a lot of water so I tend to troll pretty fast (in the area of 10-11 mph) and adjust speed for the water conditions. Glassy water allows faster movement while a lot of wave action requires a different set up. I do not use downriggers even though in the past I have used them with a lot of success, but I think it takes too much time with only two people in the boat and my present boat does fine without them. My favorite lures which have given me up to 13 marlin in one day (in Santa Rosalia area) are the Zuker ZM5 and ZM4. If the water is choppy and sloppy, I usually will put out some type of teaser to increase the attention to the spread. I rig everything with 150-250 lb mono and replace if I see any abrasion to the line.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 08:09 AM

Thank You everyone for the hot tips (from a rookie)
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 5-17-2007 at 10:14 AM

Wow...EXCELLENT thread! What a wealth of knowledge! I agree that you are never too old to stop learning! Ask questions and listen to everything you hear. You don't have to believe it all, or even use any of it, but just listen and learn.

I've been fishing for a long time, but somehow I still consider myself a rookie, especially when I see posts like these.

As for trolling, I just got done putting new skirts on a handfull of bullet heads. Lots of greens and yellows and pinks mixed in various patterns. I've always tied hooks and swivels in the past, but just bought a crimping tool, crimps, anti-chafing springs, etc. Gonna' try out the crimps and see how they work. Have had great luck through the years with cedar plugs also.

Thanks again to all of you for "sharing the wealth".

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.