Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: more Cocina pics...cement poured...tile on
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 09:06 AM
more Cocina pics...cement poured...tile on

Whoa nelly, I am one happy camper today...tiling done and water to be hooked up maņana (uh huh)there is something to be said for going uptown! Now we'll really be able to cook up a storm for you visiting Nomads and even Sirenita will want to do the dishes with this new "Awesome View Sink".

While Efrain finished our kitchen, I was hard at work painting our new bathroom...pumpkin!! Iflyfish supplied that nice bathroom stuff rack! and my generous hermano the handpainted sink...gracias amigos

I always wondered how they made those nice cement counters....now I know...with lots of rebar...it is quite a process but is going to be wonderful....termites be gone!

We pour the cement in today and tile it tomorrow. I have dreamed of running water in the kitchen for many years and it will finally be a reality soon. Now I can smile a big sh*t eating grin while in the bathroom AND the kitchen!!! (Jdtrotter is gonna want one just like it!)

It's really getting pretty now with the tile started but sure is a long process.

[img] http://media.pixpond.com/17y06vp.jpg[/img]

[Edited on 5-25-2007 by shari]

[Edited on 5-26-2007 by shari]

[Edited on 5-28-2007 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 10:22 AM

And what a view out that kitchen window while you're working there!
Kurt
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I always wondered how they made those nice cement counters....now I know...with lots of rebar...it is quite a process but is going to be wonderful....termites be gone!

We pour the cement in today and tile it tomorrow. I have dreamed of running water in the kitchen for many years and it will finally be a reality soon. Now I can smile a big sh*t eating grin while in the bathroom AND the kitchen!!! (Jdtrotter is gonna want one just like it!)

Good--lots of practice on your's and ours is next. :spingrin:

Curious, what is on top of the blocks? What is the base for the cement? Are you putting tile on top of the cement counter? Are you going to tile much wall? We think we may want most of one wall tiled.

Wait until you see the color we have picked out for part of the kitchen. :yes:

Keep posting the updates

Diane

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by jdtrotter]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 02:00 PM

WOW !
You guys are really moving up in the world with all these improvements.
Will you still hang out with us "regular" folks !! :lol:

Now if you could just do something about the view !! :lol:

Can't wait to see all your changes !
Hope it doesn't change anything about your cooking though !
Mmmmmm good !

BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 07:36 PM

Awesome Shari. Now you'll have more room to make those OJ and Vodkas I like for breakfast.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 10:04 PM

Diane,

It looks like the concrete pour will cover the top of the blocks.
The wood formwork will be pulled out from underneath after the concrete cures a bit. This will leave a concrete slab suspended between the rows of blocks. No wood when finished.

Of course, if you planned to add cabinet doors, you would want a wood frame to mount the doors. A course of 4" block laid on it's side would make a "toe kick" if desired to get the cabinet doors and goods off the floor without using a wood shelf.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 10:52 PM

I built my concrete countertops on top of brick columns. I had purchased pre-assembled cabinets to slide in between the columns. Very handy for cleaning behind.

I then painted the counters with the color of my choice and then coated them with Spar Varnish.

It was a cheap way to do it but they look great after 10 years and they always have a nice shine.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Diane,

It looks like the concrete pour will cover the top of the blocks.
The wood formwork will be pulled out from underneath after the concrete cures a bit. This will leave a concrete slab suspended between the rows of blocks. No wood when finished.

Of course, if you planned to add cabinet doors, you would want a wood frame to mount the doors. A course of 4" block laid on it's side would make a "toe kick" if desired to get the cabinet doors and goods off the floor without using a wood shelf.

Thanks Diver---the idea of the "toe kick" sounds good. I imagine one would want them cemented to avoid having dirt and bug catching cracks.

Don't know if we want cabinet doors, but would be good to have the fame in order to have the option.

Quote:

I then painted the counters with the color of my choice and then coated them with Spar Varnish.

BajaWarrior, could you easily tile over the cement counter if you wanted? One of our sons has a cement counter and it seems to chip a lot---think we want tile.

Thanks
Diane

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:08 AM

Oh yeah, Diane, I've already been thinking of the shape of your new counters...today we TILE..I'm so thrilled and it's great learning how as I watch it all happen. tomorrows pics should be fun....we will put cupboards in later...after abalone season.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, Diane, I've already been thinking of the shape of your new counters...today we TILE..I'm so thrilled and it's great learning how as I watch it all happen. tomorrows pics should be fun....we will put cupboards in later...after abalone season.

Love the "in progress" prictures---very interesting---also can't wait for the final pics---also will be curious later as to the approx. cost.

What did you think of Diver's idea for a toe kick?

Diane

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:26 AM

Shari y Juan, looking good! :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:37 PM

Whoa, this is quite a process and facinating to watch and help...almost as cool as elgatoloco's avatar!! Tomorrow depending on the crudo (hangover) my kitchen guru will put the grout on...stay tuned for the final chapter.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:50 PM

Way Coooooooool!

Movin on up, to the eastside.......goin to get my piece of the pie......movin on up......etc.

I too hope you won't look down on us poor peasants.

This should make life much easier.

Iflyfishandmrsfishareimpressed
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 04:54 PM

Oh don't worry, were still peasants...but with a nicer kitchen now...Juan wants to know if you are sharpening up your hooks for the August fishing derby?

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:05 PM

shari those are great photos of your new kitchen. I am always dazzled at how good the Baja craftsmen are at this type of work. By the way, and please don't be offended by this, but the material you are calling "cement" is actually concrete. Cement is a white, powdery material sold in 94-lb bags which is one of the three major ingredients in concrete. The other two major ingredients are water and aggregate (fine aggregate - sand, and coarse aggregate - larger rocks up to about 1.5 inches in diameter). As someone who has made a living designing and building concrete buildings for the last 40 years I can't resist offering this up. In Mexican Spanish concrete is called either "concreto" or "hormigon", and cement is "cemento" or "cemento portland".
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 5-26-2007 at 06:28 PM

Hi Shari,
Love your tile color...Wow...Really works well.
I am very impressed with the massiveness of re-bar and thickness. A d-8 Caterpillar could track over it without it collapsing. This much different then some house construction done with 1/4" re-bar...one of the things that is on my list to control if possible. Hope you post finish photos too.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 01:26 PM

jdtrotter--When I've built BBQ counters I used Hardie backerboard for the bottom form and just left it in place--no wood forms to pull out. If you use wood and leave it place it can absorb moisture and help form cracks.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 01:39 PM

Neat. Can't beat working with mud and tile. The results are set in stone.:spingrin:
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 03:13 PM

Gracias tocayo (Ken) for the lesson. Interesting..maybe you should write the manufacturers as our big bags say "CEMENTO"??? We mix it with sand and water. Yeah, it seemed like overkill on the rebar to me too...but Juan says the counter will help hold up the walls in case of more earthquakes. Well, our kitchen amigo was way too hungover to grout the tile today so the finished photos will have to wait till maņana!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2007 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Gracias tocayo (Ken) for the lesson. Interesting..maybe you should write the manufacturers as our big bags say "CEMENTO"??? We mix it with sand and water. Yeah, it seemed like overkill on the rebar to me too...but Juan says the counter will help hold up the walls in case of more earthquakes. Well, our kitchen amigo was way too hungover to grout the tile today so the finished photos will have to wait till maņana!

This is what Ken was trying to explain. You mix the "Cemento" with sand and water to make "concreto"

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.