BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: buying new outboard in Ensenada?
snorklebob

puzzled.gif posted on 6-2-2007 at 05:09 AM
buying new outboard in Ensenada?

Has anyone purchased an outboard in Ensenada? I have a 20ft aluminum boat in Punta Chivato and I need to re-power soon. I'm leaning toward Yamaha 2 or 4-stroke. Thanks for any input.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 05:23 AM

What no good deals in your local salvage yard? Still waiting on Quad parts.
snorklebob

lol.gif posted on 6-2-2007 at 05:29 AM

Low Blow , Russ. Wish We were down there, OH Well!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 06:28 AM

I talk to the guys who live in Baja when I see a new motor and I think the prices are pretty steep with the import tax. You might try this site as they will ship it to your house and then you haul it down. They had the best prices on motors that I have found in the last couple of years.
http://edsmarinesuperstore.com
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 07:07 AM

...Hi, SB, I can think of a couple questions you might also want to consider. 1) What motor do you have on the boat now? If you're going to do the install yourself, make sure your steering will hook up to the new motor, as well as the gauges and shift and throttle controls working with the new motor. 2) Make sure your bolt pattern on the new motor is the same as the old, or you'll need to fill the old holes and re-bore. 3) Most motors do not include a prop. Make sure you get the proper one for your boat's performance. I'd also agree that it would be easier (and, cheaper) to buy in the US. Maybe, it would be better to do the R&R stateside, too if there are changes that are required due to the choice of motor..
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 07:23 AM

Arjona, in Ensenada, will sell you anything you're willing to pay for but, why would you buy in Mexico when you can buy in the states? Consider warrenty and the event you may have to use it. Things can be different.
The price will be considerably higher due to import fees passed on to the buyer and dealer profit will also be higher due to lack of competition.
If you have too much money, tell'm I sent you.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:37 AM

...now, to address the 4 vs. 2 stroke issue. The 2 stroke is cheaper to purchase, but a 4 will get about 30% better fuel economy. When you figure out the fuel costs, not to mention all the two stroke oil you'll be pouring through the motor, you'll soon pass the difference in initial savings. This, not to mention the blue cloud of smoke, the many more decibels of noise, and the rough idle, should tip you in favor of the 4.

...I suspect your 20 footer would take a 115 HP nicely. I just fished at a lodge in Costa Rica that ran Whaler 240 Outrages with twin 115's. One of the boats I fished on had 2100 hours; another, had 1800. With good maintence, a good 4 stroke should last you a very long time.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic
...now, to address the 4 vs. 2 stroke issue. The 2 stroke is cheaper to purchase, but a 4 will get about 30% better fuel economy...

The new generation 2 strokes-Mercury Optimax and Evinrude E-Tech-meet CARB emissions limits and are similar to the four strokes in emissions and fuel economy.They also are similar in price, I think. They are a little lighter, with fewer parts and have more torque.

They love to argue 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke on the boater boards. I just bought a 4 stroke.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 09:25 AM

How you intend to use it also enters the equation. Typically it is a short run to the fishing grounds and a lot of time is spent trolling to locate the fish. 2 strokes are usually louder and tend to load up when run at low speed for long periods. My 4 stroke just purrs for hours without a hiccup.
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 09:27 AM

...Don, I think my choice would depend on what size HP you need. If I were looking at a 115, I'd go with a 4. From 135 and above, I'd look at the Optimax, which is what I have on my Whaler. The Verado 4 stroke that's supercharged and had digital shift and throttle is way ahead of the competition, but outweighs the Optimax. It's that reason that I went with the Opti, and I couldn't be happier. My 21 Outrage has a 175 Opti, and at 3500 RPM's it's doing about 26 MPH and burning 5.9 Gallons per hour...let's grab a box of Pacificos and let the debate begin..!!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 09:44 AM

A BLACK Honda cowling, Pompano? I havent seen those.......

aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 10:06 AM

...SURE, POMP, HONDAS ARE NICE...IF YOU WANT TO HAUL THE EXTRA WEIGHT...A 115 HONDA WEIGHS ALMOST 100#'S MORE THAN THE MERC 115 EFI...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 10:42 AM

My vote is for the four stroke. For all the reasons above, many of which I've personally experienced.
snorklebob

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for all the input amigos. What a great sight. I will be looking for a 4-stroke ,now. Pompano and I see the boat with a smaller 60hp moter. I've always run a 40hp 2-stroke in the past and am looking forward to 30mph [can't wait]. My state side house is in San Diego, so a run down to Ensenada is no problem.
I will report back if there is any good reason to buy there.

Viva Baja
Snorkle Bob
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 12:50 PM

I bought my motor through these people hard to beat their prices. I bought a used 2 year old 40HP 4stroke Merc. when I got it it was in its factory crate never used.

http://www.boatmotors.com/rebuilt_outboard_motors/

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 01:07 PM

Different strokes,different folks,like the old GM vs Ford. They now limit the number of smaller 2 strokes that Yamaha can build, based on how many 4 strokes they build . I just went through 10 dealers in two states to get a 90 hp 2 stroke, and it had to be ordered. $5300 and no sales tax in Oregon wt. 261 lbs still in my pickup, until I find some stronger ( younger) fishing buds. It's for up north on a 15' glass boat,in baja it's a 25hp 4 stroke on my 15' aluminum boat. As said by others ,different use, different strokes. Good luck.
Smoke
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 09:38 PM

thats good stuff Pompano:lol:
Bobbuzz

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 10:54 PM

Something to consider about the 4 stroke is the valve adjustments. It will take a qualified mechanic to do it properly. This needs to be done at the first 10-20 hours then every 100 hrs after that. Check to see if your warrenty requires the first service to be done by a qualified mechanic.
If you are competent mechanic that will be a bonus.
The 4 strokes are 20-25% heavier for the same HP. Also make much less torque.
New 2 strokes (fuel injected) get same mileage as 4 stroke and some are even better in the higher RPM range.
I own two 4 strokes and I am not satisfied with either one. (30 hp Honda and 200 HP Yamaha).
The Honda does run great but is heavy for it's size and does affect the performance of the 15' Gregor due to it's weight and lack of torque.
A 25 HP 2 stroke would have been a much better choice but just try to buy on in Ca.
The Yamaha has been a gas guzzeling pig since day one. I get no where near the performance or mileage that yamaha states in the performance bullitens on their web site for this exact same boat. 06 Striper 2101DC w/200 4 stroke. Motor occasionally runs rough after restarting after pulling boarders.
Makes squeeling noises because it has an exposed rotating shaft that has to be lubed frequently and weighs 100# more than Yamaha HPDI 2 stroke that has considerable more torque.
Unfortunately for me the boat was rigged with this engine package so I decided to give it a try.
MY Bad!!! I wanted the 2 stoke but compromised due to the boat having a radar arch already installed and no 2 stroke rigged 2101DC's in Ca.
The 2 strokes have many less moving parts. In my opinion that means many less potential failures.
I know alot of people love them, I am just not one of them.

As a side note a friend of mine has a 19' Bay Runner Center Console rigged with a 60 HP Merc 4 stroke. Boat runs well, gets excellant mileage and does not appear to need more HP.
75 -90 HP should be more than enough for an Aluminum 20' boat.

Enjoy

BajaBuzz
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 12:35 PM

My fishing buddy is the best marine mechanic ever, does it for a living. He says after 200 hrs., it's time to expect problems with your outboard. Time to rebuild?:?:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Blown engine: a thread/story about what happened to my last 60hp 2-stroke:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13673#pid1150...

I enjoyed reading your adventure, Pompano, especially the interaction between you and Felipa.

I had an experience quite similar but also very different. My wife and I were paddling our canoes on a multiday trip down the Shenandoah River, fishing for smallmouths. Around midafternoon the sky burst open and down it came. I mean, it was a downpour. Thunder and lightening so loud we couldn't hear one another.

It made my blood rush. I loved it. I stood up, held my face up towards the heavens, waved my arms, and shouted with glee. Then I looked down. My wife was crying for all she was worth. Not only was she getting soaked to the bone but she had married a madman.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.