BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: VHF Radio techs in La Paz?
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 09:27 AM
VHF Radio techs in La Paz?

Can anyone recommend a good VHF Radio Tech in La Paz? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and trying to share info with a boat from Fisherman's Fleet but was having a heck of a time being heard by him. Even when we spotted each other and were only a couple of miles apart he was having trouble copying me. He was coming in loud and clear. I tried to get a radio check from any other vessel but got no response so I assume the problem is my transmissions and not his receiving.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2007 at 08:13 PM

Try replacing the connector on your antenna first.

Then try tracing your power and ground leads to their source and cleaning them up. The power surge needed to transmit at 25 watts could be more than these connectors are allowing.

pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 07:56 AM

There is a guy in Los Barrilles who fixed my radio about 8 years ago. I think he would still be there. He has a house north of the 2nd north arroyo. To find him you would have to ask around town. I found him through a guy named Mako. Your problem is likley to be your anntenna connection hook says, or the power.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 10:04 AM

The best in La Paz is Victor on 5th Feb. same side as the Pemex toward the water.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
The best in La Paz is Victor on 5th Feb. same side as the Pemex toward the water.

Above or below Abasolo?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 02:20 PM

Comitan is currently...out of Comitan! From his description, I'd say below the Abasolo.:spingrin:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 03:29 PM

You probably know this but did you have it on international or usa?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 05:04 PM

my back up VHF is doing the same thing...i just bought another on EBAY for $100 delivered

report what it was....maybe i can fix the "old dog"

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
You probably know this but did you have it on international or usa?

It wasn't a matter of not being able to contact him. That I was able to do. The problem is that it has very limited range. He was able to hear me faintly when he was only about 3-5 miles away.

I think Hook might have the best advice. There are rumors that things can occassionally rattle loose after a trip down Hwy 1. I need to check it next time I'm in town. If that doesn't work I'll take someone else's advice and just replace the radio. With the cost of electronics nowadays compared to labor rates it is often just cheaper to replace than repair.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 07:36 PM

I could be wrong but I believe that if you have it on the wrong band you can transmit but not receive. Have you heard anything on your radio?
BTW it should be on usa.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 07:47 PM

Amen, on the cost of repairs versus buying new. At least in the States.

If you replace the antenna connector, get the solder-on type over the crimp-on type.

[Edited on 7-10-2007 by Hook]

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Listen to Hook before blaming the radio. Antennas are often far more important than people believe. Perhaps more important than the electronics.

--Larry

I agree which is why I had upgraded my antenna to the Shakespeare 5225XT. It was not uncommon for me to talk to people 30-40 miles away and at times even farther if they had their antennas mounted really high like on some of those battlewagons.
It will be a few weeks before I can get down and check all of the connections. I guess I was just hoping to find someone down there that had the equipment to measure signal strength.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 08:55 PM

would that use the same type of in line swr meter as a CB unit???
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
would that use the same type of in line swr meter as a CB unit???

??? I don't know. That's why I was looking for a tech.

I don't mean to be sarcastic (sometimes I can't resist) but I really don't know that much about fixing or even testing radios. I know how they work but unfortunately that's about it. I think my best bet is to just start checking to ensure I have good, CLEAN, connections. It seems corrosion is usually the basis of every electrical problem on a boat.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 07:54 PM

There really doesnt seem to be much that can be fixed, economically, on radios anymore, Alan. But then, they dont fail very often any more, either.

I think you will find that the connectors are the problem.

How old is the unit? What brand?

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

How old is the unit? What brand?

It's a 4 year old ICOM that came with the boat. I forget the model number but I'm sure it's the bottom of their line.

If it turns out to be anything more than connections I'll have justification for an upgrade that my wife will accept.:lol:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 07:20 AM
New Radio

just tell your wife......Sounds like the transmitter circut board has RF capicity inoperability....which is not a repairability issue......also, that model ICOM radio is only capable for transmission/receive on inland US waterways, not for international use.....both of those reasons more than justify a new radio....gotta think safety!!!!...:lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 10:23 AM

A 4 year old ICOM? Very likely connectors or something else related to your electrical system.

Unless, of course, you or the former owner subjected the boat to a regular pounding on the seas.

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
also, that model ICOM radio is only capable for transmission/receive on inland US waterways, not for international use.....:lol::lol:

It is possible.
Here is an actual reply from Uniden regarding using their UM 525 VHF in Mexico, where channel 70 is used for voice communication, causing the entire radio to shut down.

"Thank you for using our system. In North America, Channel 70 is used for DSC signals, not regular analog signals. Since the radio is really intended for use in the U.S. and Canada only, Channel 70 is not used for any radio analog transmissions. Apparently Mexico uses channel 70 for other uses, so you will have to purchase a Mexican marine radio for use in that area of the world."

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 11:09 PM

A Mexican marine radio? I doubt such a thing exists. Maybe a conventional North American radio, modified by someone. But I doubt a manufacturer is marketing a radio specifically for Mexico.

Besides, I doubt Alan or David Jones' operation is using 70.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.