Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: bay of la report
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:38 PM
bay of la report

me and dave have allways talked about going around la guardia on the boats and we finally did this july. we left early monday mourning in two boats, yvon and beth both with us and headed south against current and a south wind. is was alittle tough getting to the island on the back side with river like current on the south side of the big island and allso current and waves comeing into estanka on the backside. dave chose to fish the inside because yvon wasnt feeling that well(seasick i believe) but me and beth fished the heavy current and the first drop (40 string 4-0 hook live mack.) i was allmost spooled and broke off on the reef. i went to a 6-o penn with 60 string and again couldnt stop the fish with full drag and busted off on the reef. well that was it, i went to full 80 string 6-0 circle hook and stuck the fish. over came a 40# yellow in the box. threw out a live mack on my two speed 10kg penn and was hit hard, full drag and just wached the line peel of and wham busted off. wow what a day. dave and yvon caught a few nice reef fish and we turned in for the night with tequila sunrises and whiskys with a few beers. the next day we headed on our way north up to rufugio with heavy current and light winds. we didnt see any sighns of fish or bait so we pulled into a nice cove and i through on the dive gear and came up with a few nice scallops and oysters, we munched down and headed back to our homes.
the next day we took a day off and goofed off.
daves dad visit him along with harland and his girlfriend and mike and his girl the next day from cialito lindo and we all went south to barnabys reef, bo was allso along on phill nisbets boat and we all fished yellows most of the mourning. there was about 5 fish per boat caught but daves boat had a few more, must of been that fish magnet yvon on board. i got skunked with O but beth had 5 on and i went home with a buzz.
dave and his crew fished bottem fish the next day and we kinda just hung out.
the day dave and yvon left we fished north smith for firecracker yellows and soon got board of that so we went looking south for bigger fish. we saw a few seals working something in 220 feet of water so we went looking and found a ton of bait deep, beth dropped over a sbikki rig and hooked two huge greenbacks for bait. we went over to qu malo reef and i noticed the reef was stacked with bait and fish. we droppes two macks over and wham i got brocken off on the reef and beth brought in a 30 pound yellow. we tried irons but they just wouldnt take with all the bait belowe.
the next day phill followed us out on his boat and we got bait early in front of town. we went straight for the spot on my GPS and slam two 25 # yellows in the box. we droped again and wham another 30 #in the box, i could see phill have a hard time with his lighter gear and no bait but he was working the iron hard. me and beth both dropped again and whwam i got hit by a huge yellow, as i was slowly bring in the fish i noticed that both our lines were tangled beyond repair so i had to cut both lines and try to retie my line on beths pole. i had rapped the line around the rod holder about 25 times to hold the fish till i retied it but the tie failled and i ended up hand lineing the fish in. the fish was around 38 pounds and i was exhausted. beth continued to fish and brought in a nother 25 pound yellow+. since i had the heavy gear i asked my girlfriend if she would mind if just me and phill went fishing on my boat the next day and of course the answer was yes. we were both in the boat by 5am and getting bait soon after, we loaded up and headed to the pot of gold reef and both dropped. we were both hooked up upon drop and both brought in 30 # yellows on live macks. we dropped again and another 25 pound yellow came over the rail and i looked back and phill got busted off with me laughing my donkey off. we dropped again and i got hit and i knew this time it was a big yellow, phill brought his line up to give me room to fight the fish and it was on. the fish brought the boat around pulling it south against the current and philled yelled at me that the fish was pulling the bat at 1 mph on the gps, he was blowen away! i would have had him chase the fish down but i didnt want to give hih any slack as i new he was heading for the 111 foot reef and i wanted him to tire out. phill kept yelling the depth as i was fightin the fish and finnaly i was gaining line, he started to do the death spins as hes comeing up and when we could see him we new it was a lifetime fish. phill said he was worried about miss gaffing it but he hit it hard and i threw my pole forward on the bow to help him haul it over the gunnel. it was a true lifetime fish at 48 pounds and we sat there drinking beers and high fiveing each other to the catch. the fish would not fit in the fish hold and about a third stuck out so i used a small gas can on top of the lid to hold him down. the next few days were close as the ones before before the fish finnaly dissaperd off the reef. there were lots of whales in the bay along with 4 whale sharks and alot of dolphins, we allso saw manta rays and flying fish. weather was awesome around 88 in the day and 80 at night, nice breese dureing the day and a few sprinklas one night. looking forward to dorado around the corner.:coolup:
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:41 PM

pics
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:16 PM

pic
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:23 PM

pic

july 2007 small 019.jpg - 35kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:31 PM

pic

july 2007 small 011.jpg - 44kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:33 PM

pic

july 2007 small 016.jpg - 41kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:35 PM

pic

july 2007 small 003.jpg - 36kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:36 PM

pic

july 2007 small 021.jpg - 40kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:37 PM

Great photos and story Steve-o!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:37 PM

pic

july 2007 small 005.jpg - 46kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:38 PM

pic

july 2007 small 009.jpg - 41kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:39 PM

pic

july 2007 small 015.jpg - 37kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:40 PM

pic

july 2007 small 022.jpg - 47kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:41 PM

pic

july 2007 small 026.jpg - 47kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:43 PM

pic

july 2007 small 013.jpg - 42kB
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:43 PM

4baja, thanks. Gotta get over to your area and soak up more of Baja. Those are monsters.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:47 PM

pic
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:51 PM

pic

Islandtrip122.jpg - 43kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:52 PM

pic

Islandtrip123.jpg - 49kB
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 07:53 PM

pic

Islandtrip128.jpg - 46kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.