Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Los Moicajetes-Maneadero
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 10:22 PM
Los Moicajetes-Maneadero

Stopped there last night on advice from Bajadocks "Trip Report" and found the food and service to be quite good! Three of us had critters from the sea (scallops, fish, shrimp) and one had a New York strip. Service was attentive and we all agreed that it warranted a return trip. As we were leaving, the cook and his helper (daughter) came out to thank us and asked us to return again. Los Moicajetes is a few hundred yards after you turn off of Mex 1 onto the LaBuferdora road, on the North side.

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by beachbum1A]

Just do it!
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2007 at 11:27 PM

And I got the original testimonial from BajaBound and Bajamigo. Dining out is so subjective. My new dining reviews focus on simple dishes prepared well. And every restaurant serves a "bad meal" every evening. Prefer "mom and pop" everywhere I travel. That includes mom and pop BB and BA!!!

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by bajadock]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 10:44 AM

Not molcajetes but moicajetes, huh?

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 12:52 PM

It's molcajetes. We like this place. They are very accommodating and want nothing more than to please you. Don't like what's on the menu? They'll make something up for you. Their soups (caldos) are the best. Many dishes are Jalisco based as that is where the chef/owner, Pedro, hails from. And they have coconut shrimp -- served on mango chutney of sorts. Delish.

They open at 10:00 a.m. daily and don't close the doors until the last patron leaves which has to be by 3:00 a.m. because that's all their permit allows!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 01:07 PM

do they make caldo tlalpeno?

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:15 PM

No, but they probably could - what is it? He's got something called textitwil (that may not be spelled correctly) which is a caldo with shrimp.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Yup, Moicajetes - he's related to Quetzalcoatl. :lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Yup, Moicajetes - he's related to Quetzalcoatl. :lol::lol:

Ah, yes......the surfer god of cheese tacos begat the surfer god of big fattys..........or was that MOTAjetes?

Actually, in surfer lore, I think the big fattys come before the cheese tacos.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
No, but they probably could - what is it? He's got something called textitwil (that may not be spelled correctly) which is a caldo with shrimp.

Here is a recipe that may come closest to the way I like it except that all the recipes in my quick search use zucchini and I prefer it with the chayote squash. A restauranteur in our town tells me that using chayote is more authentic; he claims he's from Jalisco where it was supposedly invented. I think using chicken wings and thighs is also more autentico, but he has probably gringofied it for the white masses in SJC.

Basically, it's a bit like a chicken vegetable soup with the chick peas and squash added. Usually a float of grated cheese that melts and becomes a bit of a battle but worth it. Gotta get the garnish plate on the side with mex oregano, cilantro, diced cebolla blanca, limes and some salsa roja. I like to add a small amount of mex rice, too.

It's basically a meal in a bowl.

sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 10:03 AM

when i have eaten caldo tlalpeņo, it has always had a generous helping of a chilpotle chile in it. for those who like it hot, the chile can be cut up to explode its smoky spicy essence into the caldo.
:spingrin:
yummmmmmmmmm.:bounce:

lili
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 10:21 AM

The location of this restaurant seems to be bad, the food in there always seems to be pretty good. This is the fourth different owner to try his luck at that spot.

Anyone try Bonita India yet? I talked to three different people who eat there and got sick. After those reports I have been afraid to try it.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 10:27 AM

Been to India Bonita. The food is less than average and has little of the flavors of Mexico. Also very inconsistent with the same dishes. Twice we went for breakfast and waited over an hour for our food -- and we were the only people in the place. She does do an excellent soup that is served with entrees, but the soup itself is not a menu item to order on its own. Have not gotten sick from eating there but one time what I ordered had the moldy taste to it so I just didn't eat it.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
what I ordered had the moldy taste to it so I just didn't eat it.

AW, YUCK........That's it for me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.