Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga or BOLA?
n8nlee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 05:20 AM
Gonzaga or BOLA?

OK, my buddies and I just can't decide on these two places. We're planning to go from Aug. 16th -19th. We want to go spearfishing and have narrowed it down to these two places. We're mainly targeting bottom/reef fish: cabrilla, grouper, and snapper/pargo. Here are our thoughts on these two places.

BOLA good:
paved road, AC lodging, probably not as hard to find a panga

BOLA bad:
more fishermen so maybe less fish?

Gonzaga good:
less pressure so better fishing?

Gonzaga bad:
no AC lodging, nasty road from Puertecitos, panga availability is iffy

Between the three of us, only one has been to Gonzaga and that's only for a day.

Are the species we're targeting very deep now or are they shallow enough to dive for? Shallow being ~50'.

Are the winds blowing? We are thinking of bringing a little zodiac (6hp motor).

Thanks,
N8

[Edited on 8-6-2007 by n8nlee]
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:43 AM

as the water heats up the fish tend to go deeper as that is were the bait will be, bola will have cooler water because of the upwelling so the fish will be a little shallower then gonzaga. gonzaga will be hotttttt and bola most of the time in augest will have a north wind inside with a south wind on the outside of the islands. as you mentiond theres allso AC in town wich will give you a break. good luck.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 08:34 AM

:?::?: Is it not ALWAYS windy at Gonzaga? Still a great place to go tho, with only 4 days to play you might get there faster to BOLA.:tumble:
BOLA is Great too!:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 08:38 AM

Access Gonzaga the same way as L.A. Bay (via Hwy. 1), not south from Puertecitos.

If you are going for the fishing and diving, I would say Bahia de L.A. is the better choice. If one isn't good... go to the other.

Gonzaga is 36 miles from Hwy. 1 at Laguna Chapala over a graded road. Probably Papa Fernandez' camp, 3 miles north of the Pemex for fishermen to camp and be closer to the islands and rocks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 10:47 AM

goto BOLA. 1 big + at BOLA would be the availability of longtime residents
that have a lot of expierience in spearfishing and could tell you of hotspots.

in may i went down for yellowtail, our captn ran his panga out of daggets camp. (cost 150 for 2 people) at that price you could leave your zodiac at home and possibly end up with a spearfishing guide to boot!
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 11:01 AM

I vote for BOLA.
n8nlee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone. It looks like BOLA it is.

Now I guess I'll need recommendations for lodging. We're three guys so something with that many beds or one of us can even bring a cot. All we need is AC and to know our truck is safe while we're out.

Recommendations for pangas that have knowledge of divers and their needs would be awesome.

Lastly, was thinking about bringing my dog, but he'd be left alone when we're out. Should I do it or just leave him with a neighbor?

thanks
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 01:51 PM

Last trip down was my first time to Daggets Camp. I've always stayed in town, mostly because of launching my boat early. Daggets had about 3 or 4 rooms and lots of campsites. plenty of showers, and a resturant bar nextdoor. it seemed to be far enough away from town that you could leave your boat and gear on the beach. you are also north of town toward most of the fishing spots. they had a fish cleaning station and many pangas. town was a 3 minute drive for food and less exspensive beer. I think if the dog were coming, leaving him here during your day trips probably wouldnt be a problem. not sure about the A/C.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:06 PM

Is the visibility ever really THAT good at Gonzaga?

I vote BOLA and Costa del Sol. YOU WILL NEED AC..........ONLY THEY COME CLOSE TO HAVING IT ALL NIGHT AT BOLA. At least that was the case last time I was there.

Nice place, too. Good restaurant right there.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by n8nlee
Thanks everyone. It looks like BOLA it is.

Now I guess I'll need recommendations for lodging. We're three guys so something with that many beds or one of us can even bring a cot. All we need is AC and to know our truck is safe while we're out.

Recommendations for pangas that have knowledge of divers and their needs would be awesome.

Lastly, was thinking about bringing my dog, but he'd be left alone when we're out. Should I do it or just leave him with a neighbor?

thanks

Highly recommend La Unica, Fermin Smith's place. Reached by boat from BOLA (they can set you up with all boating you need).
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:23 PM

Costa del Sol probably most expensive digs in BOLA, but if you want air and you will in August, it's worth the $75 IMO. The air ran all night this last 4th of July for us. It is right in town on the main drag just north of Guerillmo's (sp).

The owners are nice people, didn't eat at the restaurant so can't comment on that.

Ken
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:26 PM

La Unica is wonderful....I completely agree. As you mentioned you can only get there by boat.
BUT they want air...Costa del Sol is a very nice hotel, good food and you can probably park your rig within earshot.
Leave the dog at home! It will be too hot for him/her no matter where you leave him/her. In your rig is out of the question and tied up is never a good idea.

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:44 PM

costa de sol is the place and they are dog friendly(they have a dog and it is friendly) food is good and they have AC. they are not on the beach but who cares, relax with the veiw and suck down a pina colada granda and get ready for the next day. if i didnt have my own place down there with AC thats were i wouldm stay. good luck.:bounce::coolup:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 07:05 PM

Agree with almost everyone else about Costa del Sol. For a BOLA guide with an excellent panga I highly recommend Joel Prieto. He can be reached by email

joel_prieto@hotmail.com

Buena suerte,

++Ken++
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 08:37 PM

Costa del Sol... #1 from all reports

Try Las Hamacacs Restaurant, also!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 09:52 PM

Still leave the dog at home. You also dont want to leave him/her in a hotel room for too many hours, especially with the irratic power in Bahia de Los Angeles.
It sounds like you have a lot of water activities that you would like to do...go for it.
Trip report to follow:?:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 09:41 AM

I think Bahia de los Angeles is now on the power grid with new power lines coming up from Guerrero Negro... no more local generator which was turned off each night at 10-11 pm except for special occaisions.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 03:46 PM

There are no more fish left in Gonzaga bay. The spearfishers slaughtered them all long ago. Only the occasional surface fish that has eluded the gill netters. Best to go to BOLA where you can buy a dinner. Alfi's has horrible food.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
n8nlee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
There are no more fish left in Gonzaga bay. The spearfishers slaughtered them all long ago. Only the occasional surface fish that has eluded the gill netters. Best to go to BOLA where you can buy a dinner. Alfi's has horrible food.

That's too bad. I guess we'll have to dive harder and longer to get the fish next spring. A few of us will be going with a guy who's been diving that area for 20 years. That's his favorite spot in all of the Northern Sea of Cortez. He swears the record cabrilla is in that area. We're all going to try to break that record. Even if we don't, we'll have fun getting close.

:spingrin::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by n8nlee]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 06:05 PM

Thanks for making your point clear.

Just like with the Nomads, you came, took what you wanted, killed it and left.

Great stereo type on the asians, by the way.

Adios. Amigo.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.