BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminum Boat-Zinc Chromate coating?
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 11:45 AM
Aluminum Boat-Zinc Chromate coating?

Hello;
We just bought a 1993 16 foot Bayrunner for Baja. It will only be at mooring and being used 1-2 months a year. Do people coat their hull with zinc chromate to minimize corrosion for that little time in the water?
Can't wait to get it down there!!

Thanks,
Martyman
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 11:48 AM

Its my understanding that Zinc-chromate etches the aluminum for painting, this what I have used it for in the past.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 11:59 AM

My 1992 Lund has been scraped and pulled over so many Baja beaches that I can't remember them all. When it's not in Baja sitting in the water or on the beach, it is sitting outside on its trailer or crabbing near the Oregon coast. I rarely wash the Baja sand off it until months after I get home.

Bottom line - no corrosion problems at all !!
Just some dings and dents and Baja sand ! :lol:

losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:08 PM

About the only time you need zinc chromate is for a primer if putting some antifouling paint, like copper or tin based, on it to provide a barrier coat.

If you pull your boat frequently and therefore keep the baddies from growing on there, no need for antifouling paint, i.e., no need for zinc chromate.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:09 PM

Alum. boats WILL corrode, and it usually happens when you least expect it. I had one disintegrate in my garage at Nags Head, NC were we lived about 200 yards from the surf.

The insides of many aircraft parts (wings, fuselage, etc.) are often painted with zinc Chromate. It serves both as a primer, and as a corrosion inhibitor. The inside of wings and fuselages are rarely painted----they are left only with the zinc chromate on them.

I had a seaplane that had only zinc chromate on the inside of it's belly, and as long as I washed it with fresh water everytime I landed in the ocean it was fine------forget to wash it and the corrosion would start it's insididious work.

I recommend zinc chromate-----both inside and out, for any aluminum boat that you cannot watch and take care of regularly.

Barry
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:26 PM

Diver

I have a Lund here in Loreto and so far it has been a helluva boat. I watch close for any signs of corrosion, so far...nada, and its over 10 years old.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:35 PM

Aluminum makes it own sheild, it's called aluminum oxide. Sorta like rust, but grey in color. Looks just like aluminum, it makes a barrier between the metal and the water/air. That's why aluminum boats and anything else made of aluminum lasts.:bounce:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 12:59 PM

Based on what you guys are saying, I wonder if the "newer" alum. boats have some sort of clear protective coating on them. I have a 35 years old alum. canoe that has spent it's life in the desert and semi-desert and it has some serious corrosion pits in it, especially on the inside------they just seem to "appear" when I am not looking.

Also, both my Gregors have millions of pits in the Alum., some pretty serious. The Gregors are very old also.

I have never put any kind of coating on them, but I do wash them with fresh water and a brush pretty regularly. All these boats are outside upside down.

What you think???
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 01:34 PM

I would think that if you coat the alum, you are defeating its ability to form an oxide layer - no corrosion.
If it leaks air it will form a layer beneath the coating and then you have nasty peeling that will never stop. Like an old house; you have to completely strip and start over.

That way I look at it, with boats like my Lund and your Gregor lasting well over 20 years with no corrosion protection, it doesn't seem worth the possible headaches and costs to keep a coating intact, especially if you beach/launch/scratch.

Besides, I deserve to buy myself a new boat at least once every 20 years !!! :biggrin:

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 02:20 PM

I have a friend with an aluminum boat and the stern needs some repair work. Can it be done with fiberglass? I have experience in laying glass and the repair would be simple. I just don't have any idea on how well the two materials will bond. Anybody have an answer??
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 02:32 PM

Diver-----

You have a good point there about "nasty peeling" of a paint layer. I have noticed that both my canoe and the Gregors have a "tough, rough coat" of some kind of paint that was sprayed on the insides of the hull, presumably to reduce the slipperyness of them, and now it is beginning to peel off in an excellerated manner----once the paint is breached, it does not take long for it to exfoliate. Considering that all my alum. boats are ancient, I guess I am lucky that they lasted as long as they have. :lol:

They all still do their job, so I won't be replacing them any time soon, tho.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 03:25 PM

Well...
Thanks all for the advice. I will probably not coat it because basically I am a slacker. After all I probably need a new/used boat after 20 years too!
Thanks again,
Martyman
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Well... I will probably not coat it because basically I am a slacker.

An honest man with an honest reply ! :biggrin:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 04:48 PM

The best preventative against corrosion on your aluminum boat is to disconnect any battery you have on board after every use. Reduces the occurance of electrolysis from stray current moving through the hull. Also, charge your battery by disconnecting it from the leads to the boat........or remove from the boat altogether.

Wire any bilge pump(s) directly to the battery so they are always able to draw, especially if on a float or water sensor switch.

You should be more worried about corrosion at welds than the exterior or interior of the hull. That's where to inspect.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 07:56 AM

The most important thing on an aluminum boat is to make sure that you sacrificial anodes are complete and in good shape. Usually there is one in the area where you bolt to the transom and is generally u-shaped, the second one is generally your trim tab and is located just above the propeller. It is imperative that you check these regularly and replace frequently if you are going to moor in the salt water.
In warm water, like over 80 degrees F it is a good idea to pull your boat at least every 10 days and let it dry out for a full day which will inhibit growth and barnacles on the bottom, in cooler winter water this can be done once or twice a month. You can jump in with a mask and fins and scrub the bottom with a good stiff brush if you choose but it is almost impossible to get off everything and there will be hidden areas that will occasionally require more attention.
I have seen some aluminum boats that were painted with Zinc chromate and then painted with anti fouling bottom paint. My best assessment is that it sort of works and still requires some maintence to function. We had a guy at San Lucas Cove that used some of the really nasty stuff they still sell in Ensenada but we noticed the crabs kept dying around his boat.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 01:01 PM

That nasty stuff was probably tri butyl tin. They've taken that off the market in the states a while back. They were noticing sea otter mortality near the one boat yard that was applying it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.