Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Asuncion trip/fish report
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 08:50 AM
Asuncion trip/fish report

Just thought I'd share a quick trip/fish report with you amigos. I went down to Asuncion last week to complete a house/land purchase and do some fishing. I was successful on both accounts. Here are the details...

Left my house in San Diego on Monday, Labor Day, at about 3:45am and crossed the border about 4:00am. I know some of you don't agree with driving during the early morning hours...so don't. Leaving at that time has worked for me for many years so I'll stay with my plan.

The drive down was uneventful and pleasant. I missed all the Ensenada traffic and encountered just a bit in San Quintin. I made El Rosario in 5 hours as a result. Gassed up and headed for Jesus y Maria where I picked up a dozen tamales to go. Next stop was Vizcaino.

I gassed up in Vizcaino and started on the 70 mile drive to Bahia Asuncion. We drove the rode in July and found a lot of pot holes in the paved road near the salt ponds. This trip, though, the holes were filled in and the road was in good shape. Arrived at Shari's place about 3:30 or so...I don't exactly recall...I was now on Baja time. I set up camp at the Blowhole next to Juan and Shari's place and enjoyed a cold cerveza.

All went well with the land purchase and the fishing rocked! Juan and I caught 6 yellowtail up to 40# and a range of other fish. We donated most of the fish to some of the needy people in town.

The weather was great all week with temps in the mid 80s and water temps about 67 or so. Check out more details and pictures below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ZAJohnston/BahiaAsuncion

Drove home on Friday planning to stay at Baja Cactus. I got to El Rosario about 3:00pm and decided to go all the way. Got to the border and was rewarded with a 25 minute wait. All in all another great trip. Thanks again to Juan and Shari their hospitality.

Zac

Juan with YT 2 (Small).jpg - 19kB

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 09:02 AM
felizidades amigo

So the cats out of the bag and we welcome bajaboy, girl and Zoe to our lovely village. You got a heckuva deal amigo and we really look forward to having you all here. To those of you who don't like the idea of more gringos here...I'm super happy munching on my wonderful whole wheat bagel with artichoke pesto spread....something I could never be eating without bajaboy's visit...these folks are not developers, they are baja lovers who just want a little casita, (not on the beach) but way in the back of town...to put a garden in (I can't wait to eat organic veggies). They will be a wonderful welcomed addition to the local color here. Here is a pic of Juan handing over the deed to a happy bajaboy.
Oh yeah Boy, you guys lucked out...yesterday the YT had disappeared but they had fun getting lots of other fish. I had to serve squid burgers for dinner which were scrumptious. I'm preparing the snail burgers for the Gypsies who should arrive tomorrow to see their new casa site. So if my posts become a bit incoherent after that, well you know bajagypsy has me under the influence!

[Edited on 9-10-2007 by shari]

[Edited on 9-10-2007 by shari]

zacdeed.jpg - 40kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Oh yeah Boy, you guys lucked out...yesterday the YT had disappeared but they had fun getting lots of other fish. [Edited on 9-10-2007 by shari]

That's very interesting;
I have been watching the water temps in your area lately and the day Juan and Zac went out, the 74 degree line was within 4-5 miles offshore of San Pablo. Yesterday and the day before, the warm water has retreated to 12+ miles offshore and there are no more YT !?!?
Hmmm...

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 12:19 PM

Bajaboy. Thanks for the fishing report. Looks like you all had some fun. About feeding the needy people with your excess catch? What else or you gonna do with it, eat 200 lbs. of fish in a day or two? Why not give the "needy people" a few dollars? Sorry, know your intentions are good, but this slaughter of fish with the justification for giving it to the "needy" is getting a little lame.:(
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
... but this slaughter of fish with the justification for giving it to the "needy" is getting a little lame.:(

I don't see it that way in many cases - this case.
In this case, the fishing had been poor for quite a while and YT scarce. In a small community you owe favors and receive favors. You help take care of those in need. Money is not always the easiest thing to spend for example when you already owe the mercado on a tab.
For these guys to go out and hit some fish on one trip is not a "slaughter", IMHO. It was definitley NOT their intention.
The people of Asuncion still live mainly from the sea.

Besides, I have often been on boats with others and one or two will get hits and then another hit while waiting for someone else to get their first. Many are released when possible but depending on the fish/hooking they may not live anyway.

Not to say that I am in favor of the indistriminate killing of more fish than you need as I am not; I just don't see this as one of those cases.

bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 12:51 PM

What slaughter??? Give me a break...

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 12:57 PM

Great shots Bajaboy...I needed that. Hope to see you there in Janurary...BTW I do not agree with Cypress...when the bite is on, I most always over catch to a small degree and release all I can and know the fish will live...this is all the point of the sport. Now if I lived there year around...I would not bring home 6 yellows, but for a trip once in a while...it sounds good to me.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 01:44 PM

Let me clarify...Juan and I caught 6 YT between us. I brought home three fish for the freezer. Another fisherman asked if we would trade a 'tail for a white seabass and we did. We had caught some barracuda and bonito as well. We gave this fish to the needy.

Cypress, if I gave the locals money instead of fish and they chose to buy Tecate with it....well...enough said...I feel better providing some food....and they also enjoyed the clothes I brought down as well....

Zac

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Bajaboy. Thanks for the fishing report. Looks like you all had some fun. About feeding the needy people with your excess catch? What else or you gonna do with it, eat 200 lbs. of fish in a day or two? Why not give the "needy people" a few dollars? Sorry, know your intentions are good, but this slaughter of fish with the justification for giving it to the "needy" is getting a little lame.:(

Lame???? Ever lived in a small fishing village, Cypress? Sorry but I do the same thing and the people really appreciate it.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 03:05 PM

rts551 Lived in a fishing village?:?::biggrin:Was shrimping and fishing at an early age. They would meet us at the dock with an empty pan and a hungry look. Sorry. We had to pay for fuel, ice, bait, rent, utilities, broken gear and on and on.:O Lame? You don't give your bread and butter away.:D
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 03:26 PM

i am more interested in the property details than fishing.
so - what's the deal? what did you get? etc??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
rts551 Lived in a fishing village?:?::biggrin:Was shrimping and fishing at an early age. They would meet us at the dock with an empty pan and a hungry look. Sorry. We had to pay for fuel, ice, bait, rent, utilities, broken gear and on and on.:O Lame? You don't give your bread and butter away.:D

Sorry, you didn't answer the question... but anyway.. these coastal towns are not what you lived in... not many docks here. And I don't give my bread and butter away.. just some extra to someone who doesn't have the means to fish.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i am more interested in the property details than fishing.
so - what's the deal? what did you get? etc??

here's more info:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ZAJohnston/BahiaAsuncion

http://bajaboyadventures.blogspot.com/

Zac

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 03:55 PM

Hey Zac,

My wife and I were in Bahia Asuncion two weeks before you were for a week. I fished with Juan too, although the water was too cold for Yellowtail at the time, we had a great time fishing the rocks for Calicos and Whitefish, also both Juan and I had a nice hookup on the troll bringing in two monster Barracuda.

I still have not posted my trip report yet being busy with shopping, preparations, loading material, and at last building our new home below San Felipe each weekend.

You don't think some of these guys will bash me because Juan and I caught and kept too many fish in one day do you?

Preview of trip report: Awesome!

[Edited on 9-10-2007 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 04:09 PM

rts551 No. Have never lived in a fishing "village". :D You can catch and give away as much as you're able to bring ashore.:D I'm just experiencing a little de-ja vu.:D
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 07:14 PM

Bajaboy, I don't think you should have given away your excess fish ... you should have sold it to the locals instead. That's the American way ya' know(J/K).

BTW, when I went fishing with Juan I didn't keep any fish and it all stayed with Shari and Juan's family, and probably a few others. Clearly the village got more out of the fish than I would have. I'm sure none of it went to waste, even though it was "excess."

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 10:01 PM

We just had BajaboyJuanAsuncionYT ceviche for dinner! Chased down with some ice cold mexican beers. Sat out on the patio and swore we could hear the blowhole and the barking sea lions on Asuncion Island!

Mil gracias! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 12:14 AM

What a great report Zac. I love the pics on your site!

You should not have to justify your good will to anyone. The fishermen of Asuncion, Juan included, are very proud and protective of their resources. I have seen the extra fillets go around that town like mana from heaven. It is wonderful to be able to do some good for others.

I look forward to meeting you and yours.

Iflyfish
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 07:25 AM

Interesting. I am confused on one part though - how did you set this purchase up without a fideocomiso? did the municipality title go back to origination of the grant with no breaks?

unless you are a corporation i thought foreigners could not hold land title as clear fee in mexico and the only way to hold without risk is in a bank trust?

so what am i missing on your deal Zac?

looks like a fun place to develop and improve tho.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 07:42 AM

Mike,

I don't know about Bajaboy's situation but there are ways...

1. A corporation is not for holding your private vacation home; its only for businesses. You can however, lease your home back from your corporation when you are there and pay the appropriate tax and all is legal.

2. When planning to purchase with a Fidicomiso, after checking the title, you can pay for the property in return for an irrevocable power of attorney from the seller. You give this to your agent/attorney/bank and they do the fidicomiso after the fact.

3. You have some "legal" friend buy the property and hold your title for you under whatever "trusting" agreement makes you comfy.

4. I'm sure I'm missing something ...

And for some folks, the relatively small investment to purchase is just worth the chance at the dream.
Get off your wallet and buy something !! :biggrin:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.