Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Scary story reports
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 08:53 PM
Scary story reports

These reports are getting rediculous. You can have things happen to you anywhere in the world, including the US in any town in andy state. I'm not afraid, never.
Just be aware of your surroundings and be smart!
Bob H
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 09:58 PM

Too many people in the good ole' USA, and elsewhere, let fear rule them IMO. Sure it's good to be a little cautious and listen to your instincts; but, remember.. the leading cause of death is life.

So enjoy what you've got when you can.

If I were a cat I'd have been dead about 7 lives ago. Lucky for me I have some purpose yet to fulfill. Personally, I know I will be reincarnated just so I can watch the Raiders lose some more, it's my version of hell. :no:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 10:14 PM
FEAR?????

I think for many of us (me, anyway) "fear" is not the real issue--------when I go to Mexico I go for pleasure, recreation, and exploration-----not to be looking over my shoulder to see if some bad guys are about to violate me. These incidents just make me uncomfortable (especially when my family members are with me), and who needs that when there is so much to see and do in the USA without worrying about "being attacked" or "ripped off" at gunpoint, even at night. Besides, in the USA I can arm myself (a huge difference)------not so in Mexico.

This is NOT the Mexico that I have experienced over the past 55 years, or so. Mexico now appears to be tending towards being "out of control" in my estimation--------and who needs that! Not me.

Barry
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2007 at 10:47 PM

If you are aware and sense a fearsome situation you can make decisions. To be afraid of going to any country not in a war zone situation is not my type of thinking. Audrey and I spent three weeks in Turkey a couple of years ago and all of our friends though we were crazy. We had the greatest time ever, and laughed about it walking through the streets of Turkey during our visit. But, please be afraid of Mexico... and leave it for us who are not. Ahaahhahhaa.... Bob H
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 09:49 AM

This is a popular topic of discussion in our casa and interestingly enough my mexican husband Juan is very disturbed about the increase in violence, kidnapping, corruption and general lawlessness. It's not just you tourists who should and do worry, it is the local people too. It has risen to a critical point and is very sad that we all are a bit fearful these days. We take extra precautions now where we never did before and travel much less. PLease do take heed and be more careful....baja is very groovy...until it's NOT...for you...I don't want to lose any of our newfound amigos because they are macho. I"ve never been afraid in baja but I sure am much more cafeful now. Open your eyes folks...it IS more dangerous than before and we must simply adjust our lifestyles to reflect these changes. Ten mas cuidado.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 10:19 AM

I believe that Shari is "right on point", and I applaud her and Juan's observations and willingness to talk about it.

It is a shame that this is happening, and I sincerely hope that it begins to reverse. Like Bob H. I have traveled all over the world in some pretty strange places (Tibet, Kajicistan, China, Peru, Equador, Belize etc.) (pardon my spelling) and had a wonderful time while still being careful and watchful, and not foolish.

But my point is that I never had to "act" this way in Mexico before, and I guess I resent that NOW I have to be careful, watchful, and suspicious----as if I was walking/driving thru "dangerous country". That just takes the fun out of it for me. I visited Mexico constantly over the past 55 years, not just a one-time visit as in the other countries, and I don't expect to feel "threatened" in some place that I go constantly. In all the countries that I have traveled in, only Belize City made me uncomfortable the way some Mexico cities do to me now-------and that is not fun. I NEVER feel this way in the USA, with the possible exception of LA as I drive thru it on Int. 5. If you can't trust the cops, who CAN you trust???

I Championed Mexico, and especially Baja California, all of my life, but now I am having second thoughts, mostly because I fear the Government is totally losing control, has some very poor policies, and in fact it's officialls are now so corrupt that I only trust those that prove to me they are worthy of "trust"-----a sad state of affairs, it seems to me.

I hope all this changes, but I have sincere doubts.

Case in Point: why in the world has this "state of affairs" on the "hill" in western TJ been allowed to continue???? This is disgusting, and an example of what I am talking about. As an ex-cop myself, I KNOW that this particular situation could be stopped easily-----------but it has not------------the officials have got to be involved, that's why. Yes, it IS the wild west, all over again, only this time only the bad guys are armed--------------no thanks, that is not my cup of tea, and Bob H. you are welcome to it, and the best of luck to you.

Barry
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 10:35 AM

Much philosophy regarding the subject of fear has been tossed around in other threads on BajaNomad. The most most recent involving the surfers who, according to their account, were ambushed in TJ in the wee morning hours.

We have also had to come to terms with how safe we feel when it concerns the so called "War on Terrorism". It is the stuff that politicians thrive on.

What Bob H. has brought up here sort of captures my own sense of fear: I won't let it stop me from living my life, and that includes going to Baja. I refuse to let fear intimidate me. But to put that out there without accompaniment by words of caution would be irresponsible.

If we are aware, and take precautions based on the information we have, we should be fine. Then put it on auto-pilot; let it run in the background and go out and enjoy your life.

I am not going through TJ anytime during darkness. I am not going down the offramp of the freeway in South Central Los Angeles during the dark hours. I am not going to Baghdad anytime soon. I would go to Istanbul, Los Angeles, New York and Jeruselem.

Use common sense, and be aware wherever you are that there is always the potential that something bad could happen. But, it most probably won't.

Has anybody noticed the red wax seal at the bottom of this forum, The Secret? Well, the basic premise discusses the "Law of Attraction". We draw to us what we are thinking. Given that, you had damn well better concentrate on positive thoughts rather than the negative. Even if you are skeptical of such Universal Law, (and you should be skeptical of everything), why not just add this practice to your arsenal of self-protection? :spingrin:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 10:46 AM

Shari, right on! Great post.

Barry A... I guess it's part of having a law enforcement background - we think a lot alike. And, I quote you: "... had a wonderful time while still being careful and watchful, and not foolish." That is exactly what I mean.

toneart has another great quote "Use common sense, and be aware wherever you are that there is always the potential that something bad could happen. But, it most probably won't." Also: "We draw to us what we are thinking. Given that, you had damn well better concentrate on positive thoughts rather than the negative."

Fantistic information here!
Bob H
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 10:49 AM

There are also different situations. Some people are grow men and all they have to worry about are themselves. Others are in a different boat.

I had thoughts of taking my twin six year olds on a road trip, visiting BOLA, etc. That seems like it would be very irresponsible now, and I'm pi$$ed about it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 01:11 PM

Barry,

I usually don't comment on these type of posts but your observations and assessments are right on. I, too, have done a bit of traveling around the world and to be frank part of the pleasure was the danger involved.

When you get off a train in Colombia you look at people's eyes and you can almost feel them assessing your worth, what you may be carrying, and how best to get at it. These bandits hang out at the 'conveyer belt' waiting for the tourists to show up.

And Belize City! That place took the cake. As I parked my car to just walk to the market people came by and checked it up and down to see where it's vulnerabilities lay. I couldn't believe it. They didn't even wait for the wife and I to walk away. Right in front of us the plans were being made. Incredible!

On the other hand, we went to Guatemala during the 'revolucion' when the US government was issuing warnings to stay away due to the 'rebellion'. It was the best thing we ever did. We had Tikal all to ourselves. Lago Atitlan was left to european tourists and american hippy expatriates. I have never experienced a more peaceful vacation than during these supposedly violent times.

But you're right, baja, we thought was different. Most of these places had certain locations where you needed to be on alert. When you got away from them you met marvelous people. The smart tourists knew this and benefited from some wonderful travel experiences. But these baja murders are occuring all over and during daylight hours. Last year there was the man camped at conception bay, an elderly man with no drug connections, simply enjoying his stay. Then came Racqual and Larry who were gunned down in daylight on open highway near Catavina (just days after we passed through that area). And now it's these guys at 4AM on the toll road. I just don't get the feeling that you can feel real safe by just avoiding a section of highway at a certain time. And I'm not an alarmist by nature.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 05:13 PM

Another vote for Barry's post. I too, have been all over the world and not felt threatened. I'll be a lot more careful in Baja.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 05:26 PM

Well, I won't be driving to the states again by my lonesome, anytime in the foreseeable future! :(:(:(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2007 at 05:27 PM

Caution and fear have saved more lives in combat than body armor. If these disciplines are forsaken, chances of survival rapidly diminish. There is a very fine line between combat and society today and in many cases, the line doesn't exist. Be careful. It doesn't make you paranoid or weak. It could easily save you from disaster.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:12 AM

I'm a "positive vibrations yeah" type person all the way to the point of being naive (according to myhusband). There are alot of dangerous places in the world and our village isn't one of them...BUT...these days we must be on guard for thee because crime is rampant in baja. Not to alarm anyone but another issue besides robbery is the serios problem of kidnapping. It DOES happen way more than we think and as more foreigners are moving to baja, they (we) should be aware of this and take precautions. Last year there was a case in La Bocana and even in our village recently so don't be complacent thinking the small villages are exempt from this activity. Be carefu..l Besmart.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
windsurfeddy

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:13 AM

We have always driven through TJ around 3-4 a.m. in order to get to Bahia Los Angeles by 2-3 p.m., thinking it would be safer, less traffic etc. Now, not so sure.
I am thinking of heading at the same time now through Tecate...can anyone tell me if the Mexican side of the border is open at that time?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:16 AM

Tecate is open from 5 AM till Midnight.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:18 AM

Come to think of it, that may be right or wrong. Those are the hours for the US operation. I'm only assuming the Mexican gates are the same.
Anybody?
windsurfeddy

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:43 AM

Well, we always come back via the Tecate route, and I do know the US side is limited from around 5 am to midnight. Any info on the Mexican side??
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 10:58 AM

If it happened here in Bahia Asuncion, we would like to know more details---just for safety reasons.
Thanks
John and Diane

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I'm a "positive vibrations yeah" type person all the way to the point of being naive (according to myhusband). There are alot of dangerous places in the world and our village isn't one of them...BUT...these days we must be on guard for thee because crime is rampant in baja. Not to alarm anyone but another issue besides robbery is the serios problem of kidnapping. It DOES happen way more than we think and as more foreigners are moving to baja, they (we) should be aware of this and take precautions. Last year there was a case in La Bocana and even in our village recently so don't be complacent thinking the small villages are exempt from this activity. Be carefu..l Besmart.

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-12-2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I think for many of us (me, anyway) "fear" is not the real issue--------when I go to Mexico I go for pleasure, recreation, and exploration-----not to be looking over my shoulder to see if some bad guys are about to violate me. These incidents just make me uncomfortable (especially when my family members are with me), and who needs that when there is so much to see and do in the USA without worrying about "being attacked" or "ripped off" at gunpoint, even at night. Besides, in the USA I can arm myself (a huge difference)------not so in Mexico.

This is NOT the Mexico that I have experienced over the past 55 years, or so. Mexico now appears to be tending towards being "out of control" in my estimation--------and who needs that! Not me.

Barry

I've been shot at in the USA, robbed at gunpoint in the USA, and had property stolen from me in the USA. Never had a problem in Mexico; but, I also realize that I have spent more time in the USA so the odds are I would have more problems there.

Sure, some of you may live in nice little towns in the USA. But, come on down to Richmond, CA (8 people shot, 3 killed, there last night.. yes 8!), two murdered in their home while sleeping in San Jose last night, Oakland(nightly), or Hunters Point in San Francisco(were the police don't even go unless they bring at least 2 cars). It's not even just the big cities in the USA, two campers were killed while sleeping on the beach near Bodega Bay in Northern California last year. My parents live in a small town of 20,000.. they had not had any murders for over 30 years.. they had two just last year.

It's not just here or there..... as a world culture.. we are going though a period of war and violence between have's and have not's, this way or that way..

Either way.. far too many people are currently are subscribing to the ideal that cheating and violence is an acceptable tactic to solve problems, get ahead, or provide resources/fulfill needs. Unfortunately, this sentiment is reinforced by governments, corporations, athletes, media, etc.. etc.. around the globe.

I'm not recommending blind macho bravado.. But, what choice do we really have other than to be careful and do our best to deal with the situation that you are given?

I would agree that Mexico has changed for the worse; but, the rest of the world is also along for the ride.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.